United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Maybe we did. You can’t force someone to work for you. Possibly we weren’t prepared to buy him and his brother a professional club in Spain to work on in retirement.
Maybe. All I know is who we got. Three managers who couldn't be more different

Unread 29-07-2018, 03:55 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Maybe. All I know is who we got. Three managers who couldn't be more different
It’s the nature of any market that you can only acquire the best that’s available at that time. All managers are different. This notion that somehow one can be a continuation of another -Guardiola & Van Gaal for example - is simply not true; and even if it were, do you really want someone like Woodward defining the footballing direction of the club in his capacity as the recruiter?

The problem here is not the absence of some overarching philosophy of football- a concept that would be virtually impossible to implement anyway -it’s that people disagree that Mourinho was the ‘best’ candidate available.

They may be right.

Unread 29-07-2018, 03:58 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
It’s the nature of any market that you can only acquire the best that’s available at that time. All managers are different. This notion that somehow one can be a continuation of another -Guardiola & Van Gaal for example - is simply not true; and even if it were, do you really want someone like Woodward defining the footballing direction of the club in his capacity as recruiter in chief?

The problem here is not the absence of some overarching philosophy of football- a concept that would be virtually impossible to implement anyway -it’s that people disagree that Mourinho was the ‘best’ candidate available.

They may be right.
I think it's both. Ofcourse there can be a continuation or extension of an idea. Rodgers to Klopp for example.

I'm no Mourinho fan, but it's not just him. Woodward is a disgrace and the owners are happy if we make the CL and the shirts have a tattoo sleeve of sponsors. The whole set up is a mess.

Unread 29-07-2018, 05:24 PM
red in cumbria

Mourinho just after SAF might have worked, not looking so likely right now.

Unread 29-07-2018, 05:28 PM
utd99

Quote:
I think it's both. Ofcourse there can be a continuation or extension of an idea. Rodgers to Klopp for example.

I'm no Mourinho fan, but it's not just him. Woodward is a disgrace and the owners are happy if we make the CL and the shirts have a tattoo sleeve of sponsors. The whole set up is a mess.
I can't prove this of course, but I'm pretty sure Rodgers got fired because Liverpool were deteriorating after the Suarez sale and Klopp was hired because he was the best available, not because someone at FSG did an analysis of how well he fit in with their footballing credo.

Unread 29-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
I can't prove this of course, but I'm pretty sure Rodgers got fired because Liverpool were deteriorating after the Suarez sale and Klopp was hired because he was the best available, not because someone at FSG did an analysis of how well he fit in with their footballing credo.
Klopp was one of the most highly regarded coaches in the world mate. Hardly a case of panic sacking Rodgers and reacting.

The wider point is that Rodgers sides and Klopp sides are not entirely dissimilar. They were an open attacking side under both. If they'd gone for someone like Jose or simeone they'd have to entirely rip it up and start again

Every manager is different and needs their own players ofcourse but a club can surely have some sort of vision for the club and hire according to that?

The best appointment we made was lvg . We get giggs as assistant and then abandon the idea entirely and get with the panicky option of 'instant success' .... which we aren't evengonna get anyway

We're a £#%&!ing mess

Unread 29-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Klopp was one of the most highly regarded coaches in the world mate. Hardly a case of panic sacking Rodgers and reacting.

The wider point is that Rodgers sides and Klopp sides are not entirely dissimilar. They were an open attacking side under both. If they'd gone for someone like Jose or simeone they'd have to entirely rip it up and start again

Every manager is different and needs their own players ofcourse but a club can surely have some sort of vision for the club and hire according to that?

The best appointment we made was lvg . We get giggs as assistant and then abandon the idea entirely and get with the panicky option of 'instant success' .... which we aren't evengonna get anyway

We're a £#%&!ing mess
So you consider van gaal and Giggs to have a similar vision for their respective united teams?

The appointment of Giggs as assistant was never about a vision or plan anyway. It was boardroom politics. That and finances are what drives the club, which is why we lurch from one short sighted action to another, with no apparent cohesion in thinking.

Unread 29-07-2018, 06:38 PM
utd99

Quote:

We're a £#%&!ing mess
Because we panicked when we realised it was all going to shit. Now we just grab whatever we think we can get. We panicked a bit after Moyes as well tbf.

I’m not disputing Liverpool have had two attack minded coaches in a row at all, I’m just suggesting it’s more coincidence than design. Do you think FSG have any more clue about football than Gillett and Hicks did? More money and discipline perhaps.

Unread 29-07-2018, 07:33 PM
djsst

Quote:
Real Madrid enter race for Willian: Chelsea seriously considering £100m double bid from European champions to sign winger AND Thibaut Courtois
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Courtois.html

Unread 29-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
I sense the criticisms around this deal are about to change tack.

Unread 29-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Sparky***

This forum lately.

Going into meltdown over a pre season result with a reserve 11 and signings that haven't happened.

Unread 29-07-2018, 09:53 PM
jem

if willian goes to real, I can't see pure coming back from this.

Unread 29-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Because we panicked when we realised it was all going to shit. Now we just grab whatever we think we can get. We panicked a bit after Moyes as well tbf.

I’m not disputing Liverpool have had two attack minded coaches in a row at all, I’m just suggesting it’s more coincidence than design. Do you think FSG have any more clue about football than Gillett and Hicks did? More money and discipline perhaps.
We certainly did panic... £#%&!ed up the Fergie transition and have been shitting ourselves since and trying to convince the world now powerful we are

No idea mate. It could be coincidence. All I know is who they hired and how they play... and it's comparable .

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
We certainly did panic... £#%&!ed up the Fergie transition and have been shitting ourselves since and trying to convince the world now powerful we are

No idea mate. It could be coincidence.
It is. FSG don’t give a shit about style of soccer. They’re interested in winning and money, same as the glazers. He was the in vogue choice to that goal. The end.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:20 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
65 medical done announcement tomorow.

Pathetic @#%&!.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:59 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
It is. FSG don’t give a shit about style of soccer. They’re interested in winning and money, same as the glazers. He was the in vogue choice to that goal. The end.
Owners always want to make money. By that logic, no club has ever hired a manager with a footballing vision.

So now if we see a team hire with an apparent theme, we just call it a coincidence?

Jesus Christ.

Unread 29-07-2018, 11:01 PM
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
You forget pure has no self awareness or sense of shame. He’s utterly impervious to logic, reason or regret. In these respects he has a lot on common with John Terry.

Unread 30-07-2018, 12:25 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Owners always want to make money. By that logic, no club has ever hired a manager with a footballing vision.
Yeah, great logic.

Quote:
So now if we see a team hire with an apparent theme, we just call it a coincidence?
2 managers. A theme. Ffs.

Unread 30-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Yeah, great logic.

2 managers. A theme. Ffs.
Yeah that's my point, it isn't.

How many does it need to be for you then?

Unread 30-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
fingers crossed
Closed Thread