United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:21 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Tbf, only after Mourinho rejected the chance to go back...
Sort of, but because they wouldn't sell Ramos, Ronaldo and everyone else who didn't like him

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Sort of, but because they wouldn't sell Ramos, Ronaldo and everyone else who didn't like him

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:26 PM
andyroo

Quote:
So, everyone in the world except a few cranks on here then

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:35 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
So, everyone in the world except a few cranks on here then
I don't particularly like the bloke (yet), but I still think he's the best man to take over.

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I don't particularly like the bloke (yet), but I still think he's the best man to take over.
Yep. Don't need to like him. Guardiola isn't that appealing as a bloke tbh. Fergie was a horrible @#%&! at times.

Thing with Mou though is that these days he does descend into cringe more than provocative brilliance. He used to wind everyone up while hammering the league. It's not quite as great if he's making a bit of a tit of himself while not actually delivering too much.

His last six years have seen two league titles and nothing further than the semis in the Champions League. Get special again, pal

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
this.

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:44 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Yep. Don't need to like him. Guardiola isn't that appealing as a bloke tbh. Fergie was a horrible @#%&! at times.

Thing with Mou though is that these days he does descend into cringe more than provocative brilliance. He used to wind everyone up while hammering the league. It's not quite as great if he's making a bit of a tit of himself while not actually delivering too much.

His last six years have seen two league titles and nothing further than the semis in the Champions League. Get special again, pal
I think managing us will sort his head right out, he's wanted it for that long. Especially after having 6 months off for the first time in god knows how long to re-charge and sort his bonce out. Can't £#%&!ing wait if I'm honest, think he'll be fantastic for us if it happens.

Can see myself getting to like him pretty quickly once he's in and wumming scousers and Wenger etc

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:46 PM
andyroo

I don't think my personal dislike is that relevant. I just think he's not what he was. Would rather think of his utter meltdown at Chelsea as funny rather than worrying.

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think managing us will sort his head right out, he's wanted it for that long. Especially after having 6 months off for the first time in god knows how long to re-charge and sort his bonce out. Can't £#%&!ing wait if I'm honest, think he'll be fantastic for us if it happens.

Can see myself getting to like him pretty quickly once he's in and wumming scousers and Wenger etc
He's seemed an unhappy man since Madrid really. You'd hope United would give him his zest back.

But he'll need to be more successful than recent years, because people complain about this United who are actually trying to be positive but not playing well, but when Mou is deliberately trying to strangle the life out of the Manchester derby, even at OT, he must win.

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Coracao

It will take some effort for him to beat the absolute dullness of this season's game tbf

Shocking match

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:53 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
He's seemed an unhappy man since Madrid really. You'd hope United would give him his zest back.

But he'll need to be more successful than recent years, because people complain about this United who are actually trying to be positive but not playing well, but when Mou is deliberately trying to strangle the life out of the Manchester derby, even at OT, he must win.
He'll be okay - I fully expect you'll be defending him as staunchly as you've done with the current bloke.

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
It will take some effort for him to beat the absolute dullness of this season's game tbf

Shocking match
Intent is an issue. People have thought this United side is inherently negative. It isn't at all; it's just shite. When you see us playing with a low block, getting everyone behind the ball, often moving into a back six with two holders in front etc, to shut down Pep's City, it'll bring a whole new meaning to the concept of negative football.

We've seen plenty of shite football at United, but deliberate game-stifling tactics will be new, unless Mou changes.

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Intent is an issue. People have thought this United side is inherently negative. It isn't at all; it's just shite. When you see us playing with a low block, getting everyone behind the ball, often moving into a back six with two holders in front etc, to shut down Pep's City, it'll bring a whole new meaning to the concept of negative football.

We've seen plenty of shite football at United, but deliberate game-stifling tactics will be new, unless Mou changes.
We have played some of the most boring football in our history over the past 18 months. I'd probably wind it in for a bit.

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
He'll be okay - I fully expect you'll be defending him as staunchly as you've done with the current bloke.
I'll be fairly consistent, tbh.

Unlike people who preach about the United Way and demand a manager for whom a key principle is "he who has the ball has fear"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
We have played some of the most boring football in our history over the past 18 months. I'd probably wind it in for a bit.
Not really taking the point, but fair enough.

Unread 23-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
We've seen plenty of shite football at United, but deliberate game-stifling tactics will be new
Arsene Wenger disagrees with you

I don't btw

Unread 23-02-2016, 05:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Arsene Wenger disagrees with you

I don't btw
Well tbf Wenger thinks actually tackling his players is out of line.

United have played pragmatically under Ferguson, especially in 2008 when winning the European Cup. But that's different from actually trying to ensure that no game of football at all breaks out, which is a tactic Mourinho is more than prepared to employ.

But apparently because the football has been poor this season, that shouldn't concern us

Unread 23-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Baron

Quote:

United have played pragmatically under Ferguson, especially in 2008 when winning the European Cup. But that's different from actually trying to ensure that no game of football at all breaks out, which is a tactic Mourinho is more than prepared to employ.

But apparently because the football has been poor this season, that shouldn't concern us
Genuinely flabbergasted that you think Van Gaal's tactic of relentlessly passing the ball sideways, committing no player outside of his designated zone, restricting players from dribbling or shooting from distance & hooking players from the starting XI to daring to stray from this approach at various stretches over the past 18 months is anything other than just that.

To be blunt - I don't give a flying £#%&! if Van Gaal wants to play football & take a side on, he unequivocally lacked the %@#$&!s to let any variation of this United side in his tenure off the leash to actually attack. The consideration being that football can only be played one way - his - & we've lacked the players to do what he thinks is achievable.

Mourinho has done the full defence / park the bus when faced with Barcelona sides that will go down as one of the finest club sides in living memory. Van Gaal has done it against Aston Villa for £#%&!s sake.

What an appallingly rigid adherence to a failed approach we've had to endure

IF Van Gaal were to stay for 5, 6 or 7 years etc, I actually have no doubt he'd finally get it right - but he's never, ever going to achieve it in 18 months with the state the club is in. He'd never achieve it in 3 years the way he's gone about it in all honesty.

Unread 23-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Clarkie

Quote:

Nowt wrong with being pragmatic. The 11/12 season though. Some of the matches and performances that year were £#%&!ing shameful.

Waiting 35 mins for a shot on goal under LvG hasn't been great either

Unread 23-02-2016, 05:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Genuinely flabbergasted that you think Van Gaal's tactic of relentlessly passing the ball sideways, committing no player outside of his designated zone, restricting players from dribbling or shooting from distance & hooking players from the starting XI to daring to stray from this approach at various stretches over the past 18 months is anything other than just that.

To be blunt - I don't give a flying £#%&! if Van Gaal wants to play football & take a side on, he unequivocally lacked the %@#$&!s to let any variation of this United side in his tenure off the leash to actually attack. The consideration being that football can only be played one way - his - & we've lacked the players to do what he thinks is achievable.

Mourinho has done the full defence / park the bus when faced with Barcelona sides that will go down as one of the finest club sides in living memory. Van Gaal has done it against Aston Villa for £#%&!s sake.

What an appallingly rigid adherence to a failed approach we've had to endure

IF Van Gaal were to stay for 5, 6 or 7 years etc, I actually have no doubt he'd finally get it right - but he's never, ever going to achieve it in 18 months with the state the club is in. He'd never achieve it in 3 years the way he's gone about it in all honesty.
ffs

I did notice that line came out in the last week or so about shooting from distance being banned. Then last night we proceeded to do it several times. Almost as if people second-guessing the instructions might not actually know what they're talking about

As I say, intent is important. It's clear this United side, whatever their failures, is trying to be positive. I'm surprised that this has been impossible to separate from the poor end product, but when we're happy to have 30% possession at home under Mou maybe it'll dawn.

Unread 23-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Knockers

Quote:

I just can't see anything being more boring than what we've played this season. It's not like it's been heroic failure or owt. It's just been shite as you acknowledge.

Can see the logical arguments against getting Mourinho and why people think he's a @#%&! but also reckon OT could be his natural home. We logically should never have taken a punt on Eric and it just worked.

Quote:
ffs

I did notice that line came out in the last week or so about shooting from distance being banned. Then last night we proceeded to do it several times. Almost as if people second-guessing the instructions might not actually know what they're talking about

As I say, intent is important. It's clear this United side, whatever their failures, is trying to be positive. I'm surprised that this has been impossible to separate from the poor end product, but when we're happy to have 30% possession at home under Mou maybe it'll dawn.
Jesus Christ. We were playing Shrewsbury. A handful of Fredsters would've given them a game. You don't have to second-guess instructions to describe how United play. Call it what it is - shite.
Closed Thread