United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Silkyray

Default Would you say you are trophy driven?

I love the whole match day thing, personally to the point where I look forward to that more than the actual game. Having said that, the way we play has an obvious affect on my mood.

The perfect scenario is a proper good drink in a town somewhere with lads I've know for years followed by a good sing-song inspired by a good attacking performance. The curlier the roller-coaster the better. A trophy, in my view is a bonus.

Which is why I'm not overly concerned about the managerial position. LVG has had his time now, no question. The devil in me wants a manager who is exciting and unproven, someone fresh. Jose will probably bring trophies but will the buzz be back?

Unread 22-02-2016, 01:09 PM
dunk

Christ no, I've not won a trophy since the Ciba-Geigy tournament as an 11 year old

Unread 22-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Switching Off

Love a good sing song.

Unread 22-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

used to be sometimes...

even took some points for the shit-driving blart back in the days when we didn't have to pretend that doesn't happen

Unread 22-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Sizlack

I think the journey is always better that the destination and I Won the U12'S snooker at Pontins Prestatyn 1982 So I know both sides of the coin.

Unread 22-02-2016, 01:49 PM
King Eric

Without doubt, I want to say us win trophies first most, secondly playing great football. The great football could be attack, attack, attack footy, but I'd take solid defending and breaking fast, scoring lots of goals. Just want us winning competitions again and Mourhino is the most likely manager to achieve that IMO.

Unread 22-02-2016, 01:55 PM
ryanMUFC

1.Good sing-song
2.Trophies
3.Attacking display

In that order, though I do love a good attacking performance.

Unread 22-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Cream

I greatly enjoyed 1999.

Unread 22-02-2016, 02:42 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Biggest problem at the moment is that we're playing shit football, I can accept that the era of winning a trophy most years is done, I can't accept watching us play like a group of players who've barely met and have invented football dyslexia,

Unread 22-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Harri Jaffa

Sophie (Turner) driven iiph

Unread 22-02-2016, 02:55 PM
denis lawless

Trophies......if you want entertainment, go to the circus

Swashbuckling football is a bonus but at least fight for every trophy you play for.....never understood this, cant be arsed with the league cup/europa league nonsense

Unread 22-02-2016, 02:59 PM
jem

exciting football and trophies go hand in hand. one without the other is pointless. friends/drinks can work around fixtures.

Unread 22-02-2016, 03:08 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
used to be sometimes...

even took some points for the shit-driving blart back in the days when we didn't have to pretend that doesn't happen
I see you're now doing Roger Irrelevent as well as Terry £#%&!wit.

Unread 22-02-2016, 03:20 PM
utd99

This period of angst and deprivation will end up being great for us. Success came too easy tbh, and some seasons were more like a numb procession; however when we emerge from it and resume our place at the top it will rekindle the utter joy of '93. Priceless.

Unread 22-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Crumps

Trebles.

Unread 22-02-2016, 03:46 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
This period of angst and deprivation will end up being great for us. Success came too easy tbh, and some seasons were more like a numb procession; however when we emerge from it and resume our place at the top it will rekindle the utter joy of '93. Priceless.
Probably true that. It's good to have cycles as it were, the title in 2006-07 was the best since '93 for that very reason, 3 seasons in the dolldrums and then blasting back to the top with an exciting, young and hungry team, smashing the nouveau riche..

Unread 22-02-2016, 04:25 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I greatly enjoyed 1999.
The trophies were a by product of every thing else. You'd still remember the dippers and Arsenal game had we not won the fa cup for example.

Unread 22-02-2016, 04:28 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Good football first

Unread 22-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Silkyray

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
Trophies......if you want entertainment, go to the circus

Swashbuckling football is a bonus but at least fight for every trophy you play for.....never understood this, cant be arsed with the league cup/europa league nonsense
Really? I can't see dull football being the future of any fans weekend. The day United become choice by default with the missus being the alternative is probably the day I buy an allotment and 'listen out for the score' on a LW radio station.

Unread 22-02-2016, 05:35 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Probably true that. It's good to have cycles as it were, the title in 2006-07 was the best since '93 for that very reason, 3 seasons in the dolldrums and then blasting back to the top with an exciting, young and hungry team, smashing the nouveau riche..
It may not have been (quite) our best team, but I think I enjoyed the 2006-08 period more than any other in my lifetime
Closed Thread