Peppa pig

Unread 21-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Where's the post gone ???

Unread 21-02-2016, 10:10 AM
carlosartorial

I don't know. Tried to edit, must have deleted.

Unread 21-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I don't know. Tried to edit, must have deleted.
Good job, worst name I've EVER heard for the lad....

Unread 21-02-2016, 10:29 AM
puressence

Surly Pop can add them both together

Unread 21-02-2016, 10:51 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Nah, I'd still go back to the manager's methods. LVG is notorious for being divisive. It maybe seems this way now to breaking point.

If they aren't responding, why? I assume the influential ones are the likes of Rooney, Carrick etc the ones who are accustomed to a certain standard. I think if a manager reflected what they're used to, they'd respond.

You use Moyes as the example. Rio, Vidic, even, rvp etc. If they say Moyes is shit then my instinct is to wonder what's wrong with Moyes. I really doubt those top pros who are winners would have the same immediate issue with José mourinho. We seem to just say 'if the players don't like it they can £#%&! off'. Really? Are we not at all alarmed that well functioning class players are now worried about the man at the helm?

The disapproval of lvg doesn't seem to be hatred from the players. Just a lack of faith. Based on output. Which is what it all boils down to.

Assuming the opposite and it's the players, then it damn near all of them because all bar one or two have either regressed or don't seem to give a shit.

Either way, it still comes back to the boss. He's either wrong or can't get the players on side. And it's too many players who look shit for it to be one or two bad eggs.

And once it's gone, it's gone. Look at us in more general terms. Devoid of life. Completely depressing. Something needs to change. It's either one manager or 20 players.

He has to go. And this comes from someone who really thought he would succeed.
Yes, it's probably a simple disconnect, nothing personal. LvG has spent a career working with players of a much higher standard than the ones we have and achieved great results. If you hire him expecting him to pander to players by continuing what they had before, you hire the wrong guy. He's going to change everything, which will come as a shock to many players and plenty won't like it.

It will be the same with Pep at City. He'll be a whirlwind going through that club and his success will depend on whether the players follow him, just like Van Gaal. I expect a key aspect of his success will be to eliminate influential players who he suspects won't follow him. Toure is 100% finished there. LvG probably didn't get that quite right. Backed the wrong players and didn't get his own personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

the football is shit. even when the concept is successful in terms of results, it's not the sort of football I dream about. soz. clearly, you get your enjoyment from opta, but I get mine from magic moments.

martial bursting past two players beats valencia passing inside to jones.

I realise I must bd #@&%!ed for not buying into the shit philosophy.
Yeah, the merits of the philosophy are not in question. Sorry. Louis Van Gaal did not become one of the most influential managers in the history of the game by playing sterile, dull football. His 25-year club career is littered with great football.

The stuff you hear about his approach being too negative, him being a fraud etc - all %@#$&!s. If United were playing LvG's way the fans would love it, like they loved us going to Anfield and playing them off the park in a way we hadn't done for 20 years. But we've rarely looked like an LvG team. There have been glimpses and the framework has been recognisable, but it's just not happened. The Philosophy is not the failure, the failure is not being able to effectively implement it. It's a pity, because if it'd worked it would have been great to see.

Unread 21-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yes, it's probably a simple disconnect, nothing personal. LvG has spent a career working with players of a much higher standard than the ones we have and achieved great results. If you hire him expecting him to pander to players by continuing what they had before, you hire the wrong guy. He's going to change everything, which will come as a shock to many players and plenty won't like it.

It will be the same with Pep at City. He'll be a whirlwind going through that club and his success will depend on whether the players follow him, just like Van Gaal. I expect a key aspect of his success will be to eliminate influential players who he suspects won't follow him. Toure is 100% finished there. LvG probably didn't get that quite right. Backed the wrong players and didn't get his own personalities.

Yeah, the merits of the philosophy are not in question. Sorry. Louis Van Gaal did not become one of the most influential managers in the history of the game by playing sterile, dull football. His 25-year club career is littered with great football.

The stuff you hear about his approach being too negative, him being a fraud etc - all balls. If United were playing LvG's way the fans would love it, like they loved us going to Anfield and playing them off the park in a way we hadn't done for 20 years. But we've rarely looked like an LvG team. There have been glimpses and the framework has been recognisable, but it's just not happened. The Philosophy is not the failure, the failure is not being able to effectively implement it. It's a pity, because if it'd worked it would have been great to see.
Agreed all round.

It's why I don't resent the guy. I wanted him here, I wanted it to work and despite how shite it's all become, I can see an outline of what he's trying to do. Sometimes the players seem like they get it and it clicks then a game later 'awww, boss . We lost it again '

We'll probably only really hear the reasons once he's gone, but for whatever reason, it hasn't worked. No big deal. Doesn't make us a sacking club. Just do it and move on.

Unread 21-02-2016, 11:24 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

If froggle maneuvers/manipulates giggs into the job his legacy will be completely toilet and Bobby can gtf too.

Bold Sir Knights, £#%&! the £#%&! off and retire.

Unread 21-02-2016, 11:27 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Agreed all round.

It's why I don't resent the guy. I wanted him here, I wanted it to work and despite how shite it's all become, I can see an outline of what he's trying to do. Sometimes the players seem like they get it and it clicks then a game later 'awww, boss . We lost it again '

We'll probably only really hear the reasons once he's gone, but for whatever reason, it hasn't worked. No big deal. Doesn't make us a sacking club. Just do it and move on.
Like I've been saying, if he was a longer term manager, I would absolutely give him free reign to re-shape the squad this summer. Sell Rooney, Carrick, Smalling, the Spanish lads - whatever he wants. I'd have that much faith in the idea. But he's a year from his villa, so...

He'll definitely look back and regret focusing his signings too much on youth and not getting his own leaders, though. Schweini was the one, but him being fit only half the season was predictable. He needed three or four others like him to get hold of the place.

Unread 21-02-2016, 11:38 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Like I've been saying, if he was a longer term manager, I would absolutely give him free reign to re-shape the squad this summer. Sell Rooney, Carrick, Smalling, the Spanish lads - whatever he wants. I'd have that much faith in the idea. But he's a year from his villa, so...

He'll definitely look back and regret focusing his signings too much on youth and not getting his own leaders, though. Schweini was the one, but him being fit only half the season was predictable. He needed three or four others like him to get hold of the place.
The logic of this dictates events and para 2 is spot on re his %@#$&! drops which dictate the outcome

Unread 21-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Luffy

Whatever he's implemented the basic outcome is the players can't play a good passing game because they're all in weird positions and too far away from each other.

most of the time our formation looks like this:

Smalling -------------- Carrick ------------ Blind
------
RB -----------------------Bastian-----------------LB
------
------
---------------------------Fellaini------------------------
Mata--------------------Rooney-------------Martial

Basically asking the no.10 and one of the DMs to boss the entire pitch while everyone else stands around the edges. I call it the picture frame formation.

Unread 21-02-2016, 11:59 AM
jem

Quote:

The stuff you hear about his approach being too negative, him being a fraud etc - all %@#$&!s. If United were playing LvG's way the fans would love it, like they loved us going to Anfield and playing them off the park in a way we hadn't done for 20 years. But we've rarely looked like an LvG team. There have been glimpses and the framework has been recognisable, but it's just not happened. The Philosophy is not the failure, the failure is not being able to effectively implement it. It's a pity, because if it'd worked it would have been great to see.
you can be dull without being negative. I like van gaal, but management is not about imagining a system that would work for players you don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
Whatever he's implemented the basic outcome is the players can't play a good passing game because they're all in weird positions and too far away from each other.

most of the time our formation looks like this:

Smalling -------------- Carrick ------------ Blind
------
RB -----------------------Bastian-----------------LB
------
------
---------------------------Fellaini------------------------
Mata--------------------Rooney-------------Martial

Basically asking the no.10 and one of the DMs to boss the entire pitch while everyone else stands around the edges. I call it the picture frame formation.
you can see it. I can see. king louis can't see it.

incidentally, siders, when we played liverpool off the park, we sere wide open through the middle and liverpool didn't take their chances. meanwhile, the score did not reflect our dominance of possession and we ended up scrambling to hold the lead. however, he didn't move on from that period, either in terms of playing the same way that gave us a small run of success against average teams or enthusing the players with his philosophy. it is pointless to say he would succeed given more time and smarter, younger players. he won't be.

Unread 21-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

Nqat. He did try though didn't he. He wanted Hummels and Strootman straight off the bat but the mongs at United couldn't get the deals done and then Strootman got injured.

I agree with what you say about the big man. The short term nature of it all has made it unworkable and he has probably made decisions that he wouldn't normally have made given that backdrop.

Unread 21-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Jack Duckworth

any time frame on the announcement today, lads?

lads?

Unread 21-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Child of Darkness

Not gonna happen before the Shrewsbury game .

Unread 21-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth

lads?
Could be really late. You know how busy Sundays can get.

Unread 21-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Could be really late. You know how busy Sundays can get.
Is fergie still returning lvgs calls . That's when u know it's over .

Unread 21-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
Is fergie still returning lvgs calls . That's when u know it's over .
A series increasingly desperate voicemails:

Beep

"Hi sir Alex, it's Louis. Call me. Bye"

Beep

"Hey Alex, it's Louis. Just checking you got my first voicemail. Call me....if you can...no worries if you can't. ...it's Louis, btw"

Beep

"Yo Fergie. What's up bro? Not sure if your voicemail is working, I'm outside your place now....."

Unread 21-02-2016, 02:02 PM
puressence

If Giggs gets it they can £#%&! off

Unread 21-02-2016, 03:17 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth

lads?
Timed to overshadow Boris declaring for Brexit, methinks
Closed Thread