United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-09-2007, 08:58 AM
sharath

I think Pique/Gibson might be given a chance in midfield and a front 3 of tevez, rooney, ronnie with saha, nani, anderson,brown and Pole on the bench.

Unread 19-09-2007, 08:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishovetz
That's what I've gone with on t'other forum.

Rooney and Giggs bench warming just if they're needed. Fergie keeping one eye on Sunday.
I wouldn't be unhappy with it but away from home in Europe experience suggests he'd pick Giggs ahead of Nani and use him in a midfield 3 with Carrick and Scholes as he did at times last year.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:01 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
He also plays in a wider position for Argentina. This suggests that at the top level he is as I stated a versatile playeer who can as Serenity and I have said, play in a flat 2 up front, wide in a 3 or off a striker.
Given the fact that he was played there only briefly and by Alan Pardew and Jose Peckerman, both to little success, it suggests to me that clueless managers have tried to alter his position.

Quote:
In Europe he has neither the physique or pure pace to play alone up front, nor does that position takle full advantage of his vision and skill. As I said, I want him playing off a traget and given as much freedom, of movement as possible to express himself and use his abilities and I think the formation I suggested is the best wa to do that.
Again, it sounds to me like buying a player and trying to change him. All his best football has come as a striker, either with a partner or supported by other players. There is no denying that deploying him as any kind of attacking midfielder or withdrawn forward is playing him in a position that does not correspond with the one in which he has been most productive during his career.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:02 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharath
I think Pique/Gibson might be given a chance in midfield and a front 3 of tevez, rooney, ronnie with saha, nani, anderson,brown and Pole on the bench.
Really? You think in the CL first game of the season away from home he's gonna throw Gibson in for his first major first team match? Brown on the bench? Who at RB then? To be honest that's all just wierd.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:07 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Given the fact that he was played there only briefly and by Alan Pardew and Jose Peckerman, both to little success, it suggests to me that clueless managers have tried to alter his position.

Again, it sounds to me like buying a player and trying to change him. All his best football has come as a striker, either with a partner or supported by other players. There is no denying that deploying him as any kind of attacking midfielder or withdrawn forward is playing him in a position that does not correspond with the one in which he has been most productive during his career.
I'm sorry SS and I don't want this to turn into a Mikey Rayer, having watched him I just don't agree with your assesment. To me he is an off-striker who can and does drift wide to find space. I see no way in which he has the physique or pace to play as a main striker and see all the attributes of that Itsalian no.10 in him. I s'pose we'll have to agree to disagree and wait 'til time tells. Good discussion though, back patting definitely in order.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Barca '91

Im £#%&!ed if know which team SAF will pick anymore but I'm going to plump for;

VDS

Rubbish Wes Brown
Vida
Rio
Evra

Ronnie
Pures' Best Mate
Micky Cricky
Giggs
Mr Burns Victim

W.O.S

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Bette Midler

Edwin

Wes
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Scholes
Pique
Carrick

Ronaldo
Saha
Tevez

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:11 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharath
Who plays at right-back if Brown is on the bench? He's no full-back but he did okay against Everton. I cerainly wouldn't want to see Pique there. Simpson could be an option but surely the game is too big to give him a full debut.

Not sure Anderson will be ready, even for the bench.

Quote:
I'm sorry SS and I don't want this to turn into a Mikey Rayer, having watched him I just don't agree with your assesment. To me he is an off-striker who can and does drift wide to find space. I see no way in which he has the physique or pace to play as a main striker and see all the attributes of that Itsalian no.10 in him. I s'pose we'll have to agree to disagree and wait 'til time tells. Good discussion though, back patting definitely in order.
Fair enough.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:15 AM
The Return of JC

I'll be very suprised if Gibson or Pique are given the responsibility of a midfield berth in such a big game.

There's nothing to suggest they would be.

Experience is seemingly the name of the game for Fergie in Europe and I think it will be Giggs making a sort of third man next to Scholes and Carrick.

I agree with whoever said that O'Shea or Flecther would be playing had they been fit.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:23 AM
dunk

I've got a feeling that we could see Pique in midfield tonght.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:24 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I've got a feeling that we could see Pique in midfield tonght.
Why?

I don't think any of Fergie's team selections over the last few years, however bizarre, would indicate this.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:27 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Why?

I don't think any of Fergie's team selections over the last few years, however bizarre, would indicate this.
I dunno, he's picked O' Shea a fair bit in midfield for CL games and Pique came on in midfield at Goodison. That'd surprise me a lot less than Gibson being picked outta the blue or Wes being dropped for an un-named replacement. I still think Giggs is more likely to feature

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:32 AM
The Watcher

I'd be happy if S/Side selection started tonight, though I doubt it.

Don't want Rooney to start, be better coming on in the second half. Giggs hasn't been great so far and I feel Nani deserves a start. Hopefully, Saha will last the full 90 minutes

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:34 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
I dunno, he's picked O' Shea a fair bit in midfield for CL games and Pique came on in midfield at Goodison. That'd surprise me a lot less than Gibson being picked outta the blue or Wes being dropped for an un-named replacement. I still think Giggs is more likely to feature
O'Shea had gained experience and a versatile tag by playing elsewhere and in smaller profile games.

I don't mean in terms of him not being suited to that position, just that I can't see him picking a player with no first team experience to anchor the midfield in a vital Euro away.

BTW, I'm in no way criticising Pique. I thought he contributed brightly on Saturday.

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:39 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
O'Shea had gained experience and a versatile tag by playing elsewhere and in smaller profile games.

I don't mean in terms of him not being suited to that position, just that I can't see him picking a player with no first team experience to anchor the midfield in a vital Euro away.

BTW, I'm in no way criticising Pique. I thought he contributed brightly on Saturday.
As I said, I expect Giggs to play and Rooney to start from the bench. I do think you are over-stating it saying Pique would be asked to "anchor" the midfield. Carrick and Scholes would both be doing that, with Pique adding a defensive presence, it aint like O' Shea's ever "anchored" our midfield when he's played. I could see a bit of a possibility of Pique playing, just to solidify the midfield and add a bit more of a defensive edge. Again though, it'l be Giggs.

Unread 19-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

With no Hargreaves it needs to be 4-5-1. I expect to see Giggs, Nani and Anderson all involved.

Tough one to call really, but I'll go with:

VDS
Brown
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra
Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Anderson
Giggs
Tevez

Saha
Rooney
Nani
Pique
Eagles

It might be 4-4-2 though, with Saha swapping with Anderson. That'd offer far more options down the left side amongst Giggs, Nani, Ronaldo, Evra and Pique
Closed Thread