United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
According to some on here he's done well
Who's said that? I think the nearest thing he had to a compliment is 'He's clearly a centre half playing at right back'. He offers £#%&! all going forward but it's not like he's cost us points or £#%&!ed up badly at all. Good squad player who would have had a much better career if it wasn't for injuries.

A lot of people namely the ones who constantly bang on about players they have probably never seen seem to have a bit of a problem with players like Wes as they want our squad to be just like the one they have built on Championship Manager.

Unread 17-09-2007, 11:24 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
He offers £#%&! all going forward but it's not like he's cost us points or £#%&!ed up badly at all.
Saved us 2 against Spurs.

Unread 17-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
Wes has at least defended solidly. He can't attack, Silvestre can't defend, I know which I prefer in a defender.
He's hardly been challenged, and he's still had Silvestre like moments, skinned by Bale, instead of taking down a high ball under no pressure whatsoever he meekly taps it in Rio's direction nearly creating a ''wtf'' moment against Spurs, couple of times he's presented the ball to a player in our half, and there was that dodgy tackle on Saturday. Only good moment for me was stopping that goal against Spurs.

Silvestre's attacking has been shit as well.

Quote:
Who's said that? I think the nearest thing he had to a compliment is 'He's clearly a centre half playing at right back'. He offers £#%&! all going forward but it's not like he's cost us points or £#%&!ed up badly at all. Good squad player who would have had a much better career if it wasn't for injuries.
People who say he's done well because he's defended well (see above).

Yes he's been unlucky with injuries but he was never this shit at right back before. Over the last few seasons he's become scared of the ball, a moment against Chelsea a few seasons ago (Fletcher 1-0 game), we were attacking, he had the ball, there weren't any options so he poked it a few metres in front of him - straight to a Chelsea player - and then started jogging off backwards

For someone who gets £££££/week and trains with a football nearly every day for years, I don't think its unreasonable to ask them to be able to control a ball and make simple passes.

Unread 17-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Tiberian

His use of the ball at Everton was shocking. Giggs playing as a targetman and Brown spends most of the game hoofing the ball up in the air at him.

Unread 17-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Alan

He loves to lump it long.

Couldn't pass water.

Unread 17-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Terry Silver

He is afraid of the ball, which is quite debilitating for a footballer.

Unread 17-09-2007, 08:14 PM
JakeB

I remember a few years ago I didnt mind when Wes had to play at right back at all..always seemed full of energy, hard in the tackle. He's just awful there now though...strange.

Unread 17-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It wasn't a free kick. Yakubu didn't do much - if anything - wrong. Poor decision by Wes.
Doubt there was a foul there tbh, though not studied it. Yakubu did all three of Brown, Ferdinand and Vidic once a piece before getting hooked. He never scored.

Unread 17-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
I remember a few years ago I didnt mind when Wes had to play at right back at all..always seemed full of energy, hard in the tackle. He's just awful there now though...strange.
Exactly, baffling.

Unread 17-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

Oh yeah, just to add that it was Brown who clattered the fat @#%&! best. Some of you won't be impressed by that fact, but you can bet your entire collection of football cliches that his team-mates were.

Unread 17-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Darth Vidic

So that makes it 2 good moments for him this season

Unread 17-09-2007, 09:16 PM
MJ Ramone

To be fair Wes has always been an 'out & out' defender.
His best games have usually come in 'backs to the wall' team performances (& we certainly don't get many of them these days - particuarly at Old Trafford)
It's correct to make the point that he isn't a right back. BUT he is a proffesional footballer & I would expect his passing to be a lot better than it is.
He was very poor against Sunderland at Old Trafford the other week, gave the ball away continually in the first half in particular.

You can't help but like Wes though. A terrific lad, loves the Club, tries like £#%&!. I'd sooner have the likes of Wes at United than over-hyped, self obsessed former 'cult heroes' like Gabby Heinze.

Unread 17-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
To be fair Wes has always been an 'out & out' defender.
His best games have usually come in 'backs to the wall' team performances (& we certainly don't get many of them these days - particuarly at Old Trafford)
It's correct to make the point that he isn't a right back. BUT he is a proffesional footballer & I would expect his passing to be a lot better than it is.
He was very poor against Sunderland at Old Trafford the other week, gave the ball away continually in the first half in particular.

You can't help but like Wes though. A terrific lad, loves the Club, tries like £#%&!. I'd sooner have the likes of Wes at United than over-hyped, self obsessed former 'cult heroes' like Gabby Heinze.
Agreed. Don't understand the constant criticism of a local lad doing what we'd all love to do. He is a £#%&!ing good player as well. No he's not the best RB you'll ever see. He's not the best centre half you'll see either. But he is far from shit (although he was against Sunderland as you say, but he certainly wasn't the only one was he - the whole team was struggling that day.)

Unread 17-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Darth Vidic

I like him too but that doesnt make me pretend he's good.

Quote:
It's correct to make the point that he isn't a right back.
He used to be good there though.

Unread 17-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I like him too but that doesnt make me pretend he's good.

He used to be good there though.
You don't need to pretend he's good, though. He is good. He has a career that proves he's good. And he has spent that career at Manchester United and been involved in some of the biggest matches a player can play in. Whatsmore, he's done £#%&!ing well in plenty of them.

Now you fire away and argue with that (reminding yourself that the team as a whole have not fired this season as they can, and not just Mr Brown), and I'm off to hit the sack.

Unread 18-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Darth Vidic

Well he's not good enough for us at right back and thats been obvious for a few seasons

Quote:
He's done this in virtually every game this season

Unread 18-09-2007, 12:59 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Well he's not good enough for us at right back and thats been obvious for a few seasons

He's done this in virtually every game this season
As someone has pointed out, he's a backs to the wall kind of CB anyway. So, not only is he playing out of position but he's not even the right kind of player playing out of position.

He did well there when rarely called upon to do so, but now that he has to do this regularly he has, for some reason, taken a few steps back.

I think this points to the fact that it's time to give the likes of Simpson and Bardsley a try or even Hargreaves of he's not needed in the middle.

Wes is undoubtedly poor in his distribution, so he simply shouldn't be there. But I'm not about to get on his back because poor performances at RB should not detract from the fact that he's a good CB when he's called upon.
Closed Thread