United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

Smile Bobby Charlton: Absolute United Legend

It will be a fitting tribute from the BBC tonight for this great player and legend of a man.

One of the things i remember from the run-in to last season was this man's humility, leading the team up in Moscow and his reminiscensces during the Munich anniversary tributes.

I also recall fondly his glowing praise of Ryan Giggs, a player fit to one day take over Bobby's mantle as a true symbol of what United is all about.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/7395682.stm

Unread 14-12-2008, 07:40 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

I also recall fondly his glowing praise of Ryan Giggs, a player fit to one day take over Bobby's mantle as a true symbol of what United is all about.
Charlton does represent the true United. I don't believe Giggs does as he's a better person than that.

Unread 14-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Charlton does represent the true United. I don't believe Giggs does as he's a better person than that.

Unread 14-12-2008, 07:59 PM
It's just a flesh wound

I wondered if he has touted out any of his free tickets for tonight.....

Unread 14-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
I got Charlton's autograph at a game in the mid 80s, he told the gang of kids who ran up hoping to do likewise that he was just nipping downstairs but that he'd come back and sign for them in a few minutes. I was sitting in front of the directors' box that day, most of these kids weren't, and the poor @#%&!s stood there for nearly an hour waiting, only for Charlton to no-show.

I don't think what he did on the pitch is ever going to be brought into question, only by a total #@&%!, but as a man? There will be people with more experience of him than I, I suppose, but on the three occasions I've met him, I've never yet been impressed.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Father Christmas

He's always good for a Cup Final ticket.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
He's always good for a Cup Final ticket.
And for apologising on behalf of the fans.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Pop

Does he have Parkinsons disease or something?

Every time I see him these days he has a definite tremble.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:18 PM
wonky no

good/bad or just not perfect? why the £#%&! should he be either. he has done more than most for united and more than most in football.

that's good enough for me

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:20 PM
History

Someone i know who is a united hates him. Said he used to be a right Nob head to all the fans who used to wait for the players, while Best and that signed autographs he used to be a little @#%&!.

Not my Words, me ive got nothing against him.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Someone i know who is a united hates him. Said he used to be a right Nob head to all the fans who used to wait for the players, while Best and that signed autographs he used to be a little @#%&!.

Not my Words, me ive got nothing against him.
you are "wor jackie" and i claim my 5 pounds.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:25 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
you are "wor jackie" and i claim my 5 pounds.
You caught me out, im lieing for attention.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:32 PM
wonky no

i love nobby stiles. only have to look at him and i smile.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Sparky***

he shakes an awful lot does bobby, he hasn't got anything seriously wrong with him has he?

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:35 PM
MUFC One Love

There's something I don't like about Bobby Charlton, as a person. As a player though he was fantastic for us, a great legend.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

a reception befitting a legend then

confirmed

deary me, some of you @#%&!s are seriously small-time

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
good/bad or just not perfect? why the £#%&! should he be either. he has done more than most for united and more than most in football.

that's good enough for me
Only a complete idiot would claim his footballing attributes and achievements were anything other than magnificent. Sadly I never saw him play, but I've seen tons of video footage and let's face it, you're not going to see a better striker of a football anywhere, are you?

PS - they showed the goal from the '67 Charity Shield at OT....but the dumb £#%&!ers dubbed over my favourite ever bit of football commentary.

Unread 14-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Jack Duckworth

i've never met him, but he always comes across as very humble and gracious, a true gentleman. plus when you factor in what he achieved for our club on the pitch, i don't really understand why so many united fans are so quick to put the boot in.

legend.

Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
i love nobby stiles. only have to look at him and i smile.
And HE is a top, top fella. Will always stop and chat. People aren't beneath him.

God bless Norbert.

wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafty Crank
Only a complete idiot would claim his footballing attributes and achievements were anything other than magnificent. Sadly I never saw him play, but I've seen tons of video footage and let's face it, you're not going to see a better striker of a football anywhere, are you?

PS - they showed the goal from the '67 Charity Shield at OT....but the dumb £#%&!ers dubbed over my favourite ever bit of football commentary.
yep. after all its is SPORTS PERSONALITY and not BEST PERSONALITY
Closed Thread