United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-05-2007, 12:38 AM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
I'd just basically say what TVIV said. To say his only fault is backing the Glazers is %@#$&!s. The amount of times I've been in Old Trafford and the team/ formation has been announced and everyone has groaned and we've either lost or drawn is ridiculous.
o say that everytime he has changed things- we've lost is silly. he has proved everybody wrong continuously.

and you cant HATE him for making mistakes because that just makes you fickle

Unread 05-05-2007, 12:42 AM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle_like_sharpey
simply listing everything united have achieved under him would be a pretty pointless exercise, so i've tried to list his positive and negative qualities, as a manager.

pros
brilliant at nurturing youngsters
excellent man manager (on the whole)
focuses/d on building a club rather than just a team
has a winning mentality
gets the best out of potential problem players
good motivator
always defends his players in public
understands what manchester united means

cons
is still tactically inept compared to some other managers- fair enough, but would you swap him?occasionally loses focus on football matters- not sure what you mean
proved himself to be a hypocrite on several occasions- without a doubt
has let personal feelings sometimes impinge on what is best for the club- on players, you mean?made several costly errors in the transfer market- costly in what way?
,./

Unread 05-05-2007, 12:43 AM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
o say that everytime he has changed things- we've lost is silly. he has proved everybody wrong continuously.

and you cant HATE him for making mistakes because that just makes you fickle
I think that he could have done so much better. He could have told the Glazers to £#%&! off. With regards to tactics and team selection he could have NOT made the same mistakes again and again.

I honestly believe that United should have won the European cup at least 3 times and that the only reason we didn't is because of Ferguson.

I also partially blame him and the players for the fact we are owned by the Glazers. If just one of them had made a stand against them then we'd be better off. I still love United but at the same time it is a strange love and I find it hard to love one particular component - I can only love United as a theory or something (if that makes any sense)

Unread 05-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
I'd just basically say what TVIV said. To say his only fault is backing the Glazers is %@#$&!s. The amount of times I've been in Old Trafford and the team/ formation has been announced and everyone has groaned and we've either lost or drawn is ridiculous.
It's the only thing I'd personally hold against him. I can't doubt the man tactically because of 1) the amount he's won us and 2) the amount of times he's proved us wrong (like this season).

Unread 05-05-2007, 12:47 AM
wonky no

Quote:
I think that he could have done so much better. He could have told the Glazers to £#%&! off. With regards to tactics and team selection he could have NOT made the same mistakes again and again.

I honestly believe that United should have won the European cup at least 3 times and that the only reason we didn't is because of Ferguson.

I also partially blame him and the players for the fact we are owned by the Glazers. If just one of them had made a stand against them then we'd be better off. I still love United but at the same time it is a strange love and I find it hard to love one particular component - I can only love United as a theory or something (if that makes any sense)
you can't have it both ways, without fergie we might not/definately wouldn't have in the early days, have qualified for the champions league without him. would you rather have benitez?

as for the glazers, what should he have done?

if you want to blame anyone for the takeover blame us-the fans

Unread 05-05-2007, 01:06 AM
forzagarza

There are so many variables. I can't bring myself to respect many peope to do with United. I don't give a shit about the average United fan and I include my dad and the people who used to sit aorund me and my mate who sits in my seat. AFAIK they don't trult care about United and they're just there for the "good" football.

Fergie is the same- he's there for the good times and he's got the the stage where he can get way with performing poorly. In any other industry he would have been sacked. Anyone oculd make mistakes but he made the same ones over and over.

United have done bloody well this season and he is part of the reason but there are also many other reasons. All in all I respect him but I still wish he would quit and I can't fully respect him because of whats happened recently. I would love to but I have my views/ standards/ ethics/ wahtever and he dosn't meet them.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
rebelcountyred

Fergie is a deeply flawed character, no doubt about that , however he has done wonders for this club, i've followed united since i was a child and have seen them relegated and for many years the highlight of following united was fa cup finals. Fergie changed all that, we made a habit of winning the premiership, we won cups and of course we won the CL as part of the treble, all the while playing an exciting brand of football. I wouldn't swap all this for say benitez success? and type of football, doubt many would on here, but i have to say that as long as fergie is here we probably won't win another CL, he is too tactically naive.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Father Christmas

Ferguson is a legend. You get the impression that for a lot of the posters on here their earliest football memory is watching Gazza cry at Italia 90. Well I wasn't alive when we won the title in 67 but I remember the agony of the 70s and 80s when we were a laughing stock - having to sait and watch Liverpool win the League very year while we never got close.

Alex Ferguson altered all that. He had a difficult start but from the moment he made the inspirational signing of Cantona everything changed. It would have been good to have won more European titles but they are like hen's teeth (Sir Matt Busby only won one too)- and for my money the best ever United team (Schmeichel, Hughes, Eric, Ince, Keane, Giggs, Kanchelskis etc) was never able to play in Europe.

You can't argue with his record. At Aberdeen it was incredible and here at United too. 8 titles, 5 FA Cups and a European Cup. This has been and is our golden era. It won't last forever and when he's gone the clock resets to zero. Treasure it while it lasts.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
Ferguson is a legend. You get the impression that for a lot of the posters on here their earliest football memory is watching Gazza cry at Italia 90. Well I wasn't alive when we won the title in 67 but I remember the agony of the 70s and 80s when we were a laughing stock - having to sait and watch Liverpool win the League very year while we never got close.

Alex Ferguson altered all that. He had a difficult start but from the moment he made the inspirational signing of Cantona everything changed. It would have been good to have won more European titles but they are like hen's teeth (Sir Matt Busby only won one too)- and for my money the best ever United team (Schmeichel, Hughes, Eric, Ince, Keane, Giggs, Kanchelskis etc) was never able to play in Europe.

You can't argue with his record. At Aberdeen it was incredible and here at United too. 8 titles, 5 FA Cups and a European Cup. This has been and is our golden era. It won't last forever and when he's gone the clock resets to zero. Treasure it while it lasts.
You undermine your own argument with that silly "Ferguson is a legend" each time. That in itself is not a reason to keep him as manager. Neither are past achievements. The question is, is he the right man for the future. Otherwise we may as well still play Bobby Charlton and have Sir Matt managing us. Everybody's time comes and it doesn't diminish their previous achievements. I don't want Fergie to do a Cloughie and allowing him to leave of his own accord irrespective of results will allow him to do just that.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
You undermine your own argument with that silly "Ferguson is a legend" each time. That in itself is not a reason to keep him as manager. Neither are past achievements. The question is, is he the right man for the future. Otherwise we may as well still play Bobby Charlton and have Sir Matt managing us. Everybody's time comes and it doesn't diminish their previous achievements. I don't want Fergie to do a Cloughie and allowing him to leave of his own accord irrespective of results will allow him to do just that.
What if we win the League this year?

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Yes we should sign all the good kids - whether they want to come to United or not - there really is no excuse. Plus big name players like Gattuso and Vieira should be forced to come to United - and if their clubs won't sell them again that's no excuse. Eric should have been made to stay on even though he didn't want to. It's all Fergie's fault that Keane's legs were 33 years old not 23. And don't forget how pathetic he's been keeping the world class talents of Giggs and Scholes at the club.

Great post as usual TSV. Full of tremendous insight.

Well if Fergie is so £#%&!ing great, surely Eric would have wanted to stay. Using your ridiculous logic. We've had NO good kids recently and we signed no one to replace Keane.

Keane was 33, well no one could have seen that coming. Everyone thought he was going to be young forever.

You want to praise him for keeping Scholes at the club yet admonish him from any blame for allowing others to leave.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
What if we win the League this year?

I hope we do and he says that's all folks. New chapter etc.

I know your next question and I've answered it a hundred times. Do a search.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Well if Fergie is so £#%&!ing great, surely Eric would have wanted to stay. Using your ridiculous logic. We've had NO good kids recently and we signed no one to replace Keane.
Eric knew his powers were fading - it was his decision. And who should we have signed to replace Keane?

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Eric knew his powers were fading - it was his decision. And who should we have signed to replace Keane?
So are Alex's and re-read the thread, I've named a few but that's what we pay the legend £4M per year to decide.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Father Christmas

Quote:
I hope we do and he says that's all folks. New chapter etc.

I know your next question and I've answered it a hundred times. Do a search.
Get rid of a title winning manager? The trouble with your type is you've invested so much in hating Ferguson you can't admit when your wrong.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Father Christmas

Quote:
So are Alex's and re-read the thread, I've named a few but that's what we pay the legend £4M per year to decide.
Gattuso or Vieira? We tried to buy Vieira but Arsenal wouldn't sell him. And no way would Milan sell Gattuso - and if they did why would he want to leave his home country?

Yes it's all Ferguson's fault that we don't have Kaka, Messi, Ronaldhino, Gattuso etc in our team. You're an idiot TSV you really are.
Closed Thread