United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 29-12-2015, 12:32 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That's what the message should be, even if they plan to change the manager.
Yep, this.

Unread 29-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Did we? Martial and Herrera aside, that was basically it, the rest were shots from distance.

Overall it was a much better performance, but again no quality and when you spend the money we have you have to question what the £#%&! is going on.
And Rooney's. Three clear chances and one close call created himself by Mata (somebody creating something themselves has been in short supply)

In previous matches, we've failed to create even one clear chance and haven't hit the target.

It was an improvement. Not much, but an improvement. Not enough to save him though.

Unread 29-12-2015, 01:03 AM
ZiggyStardust

This lad speaks a lot of sense

Woodward is the one that really needs to be binned off

Unread 29-12-2015, 01:24 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust

http://youtu.be/OIdzp69IxjA
He's definitely autistic.

Some sense in what he says I agree. He gets the wrong figure for Schweini tho' and is wrong about the other signings thing. But I think we all agree that Woodward is a useless @#%&!.

Unread 29-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Did we? Martial and Herrera aside, that was basically it, the rest were shots from distance.

Overall it was a much better performance, but again no quality and when you spend the money we have you have to question what the £#%&! is going on.
Oh, so shots from distance don't count now?? #shots

Unread 29-12-2015, 01:33 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
He's definitely autistic.

Some sense in what he says I agree. He gets the wrong figure for Schweini tho' and is wrong about the other signings thing. But I think we all agree that Woodward is a useless @#%&!.
Not sure Jose can really be blamed for Inter's failings after he left either tbf, especially in terms of the academy side. He'd have had no control over that side, and which top Italian clubs actually brings players through their own academy, many of them seem to be purchased from other clubs. They even sold one of their academy products that Jose blooded after he left, only to buy him back again a few years later (Santon)

That said, I agree with quite a bit of what he said.

Unread 29-12-2015, 01:48 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Basically he's saying Mourinho would be a death-knell for the club.

But we should hire him because he's a winner.

How about hiring someone who isn't Mourinho and isn't Giggs?

Unread 29-12-2015, 01:51 AM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Basically he's saying Mourinho would be a death-knell for the club.

But we should hire him because he's a winner.

How about hiring someone who isn't Mourinho and isn't Giggs?
I´d take Gary over the two of them.

Unread 29-12-2015, 01:57 AM
Gruber

nothing has changed imo despite somewhat improved performance.

Chelsea were there for the taking, they are a truly ordinary side at the moment and we were supposed to be fired up, at home and ready to get back to think about a title challenge, instead we're 1 point above West Ham.

United's improved performance had a lot to do with Chelsea having a complete lack of desire to get involved.

Unread 29-12-2015, 02:04 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
nothing has changed imo despite somewhat improved performance.

Chelsea were there for the taking, they are a truly ordinary side at the moment and we were supposed to be fired up, at home and ready to get back to think about a title challenge, instead we're 1 point above West Ham.

United's improved performance had a lot to do with Chelsea having a complete lack of desire to get involved.
Agree somewhat in the sense that Chelsea were poor on the break, though again United did well at times to block it.

But they turned up to defend, and they did it quite well, as we know they're capable of doing. The big different between tonight and Saturday was the will to establish a good tempo. We played with purpose and desire, but fluffed chances or didn't get a break.

It was better than it has been recently, but despite the hype I think it was similar to many games this season. Superior to the opponent, decent and positive attitude, chances, but not clinical or instinctive enough in the last phase. Must do more.

Unread 29-12-2015, 02:29 AM
Sparky***

Quote:

Even though he looks like a bit of a "sits on his own at lunch" he actually makes some very good points.

Unread 29-12-2015, 02:35 AM
Baron

Looked much improved & purposeful to me, obviously big Tony Martial is the only truly expansive & fearless player out there but I really liked the quick one touch passing & composure from the back to the two thirds area when under pressure. I couldn't tell you the last time we really passed it that crisply, it was what I feel has been beyond absent for the vast majority of Van Gaal's time, keep playing that quickly - take occasional breaks in possession but not to let teams fall into shape every time. It looked like a similar sort of game to the Arsenal cup game but we didn't capitulate - that may well have been down to De Gea's magnificence. He's undeniably the best 'keeper in world football & we'll be in quite a bit of shit if he goes to Real next summer - I hope the fee exceeds £50m-£60m if he does to reflect his genius. While we may have had close to a full first XI out for the first time it was much more the right players playing in their positions, not restricting shots from distance, not restricting Martial from dribbling (did he do a trap & drag back to flick it over someone at one point in the second half, it looked outrageous & the crowd went mental - may just have been the tackle he vanished from though). Many of the progressive aspects I expected ages ago, is it too little too late?

A big boy buyout clause for Antoine Griezers in a few day could be a huge momentum shift, if we later Van Gaal & get Jose & do that it would feel somewhat strange even I admit. But you know...

Unread 29-12-2015, 04:25 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Pundits lavishing praise on Rooney.

Yes, better but fluffed the best chance and also the one where he was offside (didn't know he was)
er.... herrera missed the best chance, but it was positive he was even there.

even allowing for chelsea being shit (or sensible, as jo-mo would say) and having no strikers, that was better by united. in isolation (ignoring that we needed a win) it was entertaining, but if our fullbacks are going to attack, our centre backs need discipline and we were overloaded forward and light in mifldfield (again) - maybe justifiable in view of chelsea's approach. 4-0 would not have flattered us (4-1 maybe), but you can't just find form like that in front of goal. we have to take our chances or create more so we can afford to miss lots. chelsea were awful, but that works better for the anti-football that makes them so happy. rooney should have headed his big chance. matic should have buried his. if either team had a #@&%!y/confident player like the mini-zlat that is arnautovic, they would have won. good game for two slump teams, though.

Unread 29-12-2015, 04:32 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
but if our fullbacks are going to attack, our centre backs need discipline
Absolutely incredible by Blind to rush over to a player/ball still nearly 50 yards from goal, and leave Matic in all that space. Fortunately Matic is shit. I know Blind isn't supposed to be a centre back by trade, but it was still amazingly negligent.

I remember Blackett doing the same last year in the 3-5 v Leicester. It makes me think what Gaz Nev said about young players no longer being taught the basic principles of defending must have some truth to it.

Unread 29-12-2015, 04:34 AM
Clarkie

Same old really.

Decent first 20 mins and then, back into the usual slow, predictable way of playing.

It is what it is. On a different note, Chelsea fans shouting "ATTACK , ATTACK, ATTACK" is the first time I've heard them chant something other than "Chowsea, chowsea, chowsea"

Unread 29-12-2015, 08:24 AM
MUFC One Love

Fair enough we hit the bar and post and Herrera missed a good chance but people are making out that means everything was fine and we had loads of chances. We didn't. Another 0-0. Genuinely can't see us catching Spurs if we carry on like this without change. It'll be interesting to see if the same intent is there against Swansea. 0-0 with half an hour left should be interesting.

Unread 29-12-2015, 08:47 AM
ziggyman17

Hit the woodwork twice, had 2 stick on penos turned down, what was the ref and linesman doing when williams controlled the ball with his hand, mata hacked down in the box, and herrers missing that easy chance, the squad is way too small, we are in need of a couple of new players next week, if we are keeping the manager then we need to make a big statement with a couple of new players coming in.

Unread 29-12-2015, 08:58 AM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:

He makes some good points and clearly has some knowledge of the game. But how much is that going to matter when he finally snaps ands takes a rifle up the clock tower.

Unread 29-12-2015, 02:25 PM
utd99

If there really is a buy out clause in De Gea's contract, we should either offer him a hefty raise to get rid of it or make a move for Butland before someone else does. I love ddg, but we can't spend the next four years being unsure whether he'll be at RM the following season.

We lose him without a top quality replacement we are £#%&!ed.

Unread 29-12-2015, 02:27 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
If there really is a buy out clause in De Gea's contract, we should either offer him a hefty raise to get rid of it or make a move for Butland before someone else does. I love ddg, but we can't spend the next four years being unsure whether he'll be at RM the following season.
It's not been reported by anyone that he does have a release clause.

Not sure where the talk of Madrid being interested (AGAIN) has come from anyway, the keeper they have now is well liked by club, players and fans.