United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
wiganste

Default If we draw Atletico Madrid in the 2nd round*

and the scousers draw Real Madrid, we'll be in the same city at the same time as them Could be fun & games

*assuming we top the group of course.

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Bunker Buster

I'll be in Barcelona.

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:16 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
and the scousers draw Real Madrid, we'll be in the same city at the same time as them Could be fun & games

I think this is one of those years when there really is no benefit to finishing top. You look at all the teams and it's a pretty even spread of quality over the top two places. I also don't buy into the idea that 2nd leg at home is an advantage. If you play the second leg away then you know exactly what you have to do in terms of away goals.

The main benefit of finishing top is avoiding Barcelona.

In an ideal world, i'd have Chelsea v Barca, Arsenal v Real Madrid, Liverpool v Inter and us versus Sporting.

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:17 PM
forzagarza

Quote:

Aren't Atletico banned from playing at home though?

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC

I think this is one of those years when there really is no benefit to finishing top. You look at all the teams and it's a pretty even spread of quality over the top two places. I also don't buy into the idea that 2nd leg at home is an advantage. If you play the second leg away then you know exactly what you have to do in terms of away goals.

The main benefit of finishing top is avoiding Barcelona.

In an ideal world, i'd have Chelsea v Barca, Arsenal v Real Madrid, Liverpool v Inter and us versus Sporting.
Agree certainly with the top part, however, I want the scousers out and they'll beat Inter. It'll be a fluke, or a blatant Gerrard dive on a magical Anfield European Cup night when the Kop is in full voice.. but nonetheless, they'll beat them

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Agree certainly with the top part, however, I want the scousers out and they'll beat Inter. It'll be a fluke, or a blatant Gerrard dive on a magical Anfield European Cup night when the Kop is in full voice.. but nonetheless, they'll beat them
Couldn't you attribute that scabbyness to any opposition they face?

I can't see a tougher second placed team than them unless Juventus finish second. And that is unlikely.

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Ah, that's a good point. Did UEFA go through with that option?

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Sparky***

I pray to "god" we don't draw a spanish team.

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:27 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I pray to god we don't draw a spanish team.
Why?

Seems like a bit of a shit thng to pray for. Don't waste God's time with that. At least pray for something cool like invisibility or the return of Eldorado.

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Why?

Seems like a bit of a shit thng to pray for. Don't waste God's time with that. At least pray for something cool like invisibility or the return of Eldorado.
Good point.

Unread 10-12-2008, 02:22 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
They appealed and the ban was reduced to 1 game, which they have already played.

It's on

Unread 10-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Ah, that's a good point. Did UEFA go through with that option?
They played behind closed doors with crowd sound effects being pumped through the speaker system.

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:10 PM
borsuk

hope we get a big side with some history in the next round. we're good enough to beat them all and our form will improve right through the second half of the season (after christmas, that is).

winning in '99 was much more special for me than winning in '08 because of the way we did it, beating who we beat. no-one could argue we didn't deserve it after barca x2, inter x2, juve x2 and bayern x3. last year was great, but not quite the same.

same in '99 with the fa cup run. as i remember we played the top six clubs in the league or something, plus the leaders of the second division who had knocked out one of the top sides in the last round.

that's the way to win a cup and there's no reason for us to fear anyone in europe imho. quite the contrary.

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Charlestown Rouge

I'd like to go and see somewhere different - Porto or Turin again would be a blow. Rome - a disaster.

I sincerely hope we finish 5th this season then we can go to interesting places like Finland and Romania in the UEFA Cup.

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:22 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
I'd like to go and see somewhere different - Porto or Turin again would be a blow. Rome - a disaster.

I sincerely hope we finish 5th this season then we can go to interesting places like Finland and Romania in the UEFA Cup.
The chances of playing Roma in the next round are slim. In fact, to play them we have to royally £#%&! up tonight and expect Villarreal to win in Scotchland.

I just have a feeling we will get one of the Madrid's or Inter - which is heartbreaking because it's the same old shit every year.

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
winning in '99 was much more special for me than winning in '08 because of the way we did it, beating who we beat. no-one could argue we didn't deserve it after barca x2, inter x2, juve x2 and bayern x3. last year was great, but not quite the same.
We only actually won 3 of those games in 99 though.

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
The chances of playing Roma in the next round are slim. In fact, to play them we have to royally £#%&! up tonight and expect Villarreal to win in Scotchland.

I just have a feeling we will get one of the Madrid's or Inter - which is heartbreaking because it's the same old shit every year.
I was complaining about the same old schedules/places on Euro away trips at dinner on Saturday night. The Fulham and QPR fans on my table described it as "a £#%&!ing high class problem".

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
I was complaining about the same old schedules/places on Euro away trips at dinner on Saturday night. The Fulham and QPR fans on my table described it as "a £#%&!ing high class problem".
To them it is. But if they had a sustained period of playing in Europe and they drew the same teams, or went to the same cities every year, they'd understand.

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Bunker Buster

i would have loved Germany.

Unread 10-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Tumescent Throb

got a feeling we could get Bayern (good for me - free ticket )

or Arsenal
Closed Thread