United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:43 AM
wiganste

Default Mike Smalling

Best defender in the league? I think so. His turnaround has been pretty phenomenal tbf. Wouldn't swap him for anyone in this league

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:46 AM
dunk

Loving the aggression he's bringing nowadays. Just monstering players the second it looks like they might even touch the ball

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:49 AM
My Name is Keith

Agreed, gave him loads over the last year or so on here - as did most - and he's proving us wrong.

Must have missed out the genesis of the Mike thing - what's that about?

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:49 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Loving the aggression he's bringing nowadays. Just monstering players the second it looks like they might even touch the ball
Yeah he's a beast. Seems like Van Gaal has filled him with confidence. I always believed in him to my credit!

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:50 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Yeah he's a beast. Seems like Van Gaal has filled him with confidence. I always believed in him to my credit!
I was always a fan, feared he was gone late in the Moyes era/early last season. Confidence destroyed, never to return. Absolutely delighted to be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Agreed, gave him loads over the last year or so on here - as did most - and he's proving us wrong.

Must have missed out the genesis of the Mike thing - what's that about?
LvG called him Mike Smalling in a press conference pre-season

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:51 AM
armchair

Quote:
I was always a fan, feared he was gone late in the Moyes era/early last season. Confidence destroyed, never to return. Absolutely delighted to be wrong
I love the whole back 5 tbh.

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:53 AM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Him and Blind are a decent contrast. It'll be interesting to see them come up against a genuine front 2, if they ever do. The full backs are awesome and DdG is DdG.

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:53 AM
sa7

Would've happily kneecapped him after the Derby last year.

£#%&!ed about too much by Fergie and Moyes playing at full back. Centre halves need to learn their trade early on. You can get away with playing young strikers out on the wing because their game tends to be so much more instinctive whereas top centre halves benefit from years of readig games and developing anticipation of what the oppositions next move will be.

He's stopped trying to be the new Rio and is using his own strengths to physically dominate opposing centre forwards. If he can improve his distribution from the back a little then he'll do just fine for me.

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:55 AM
armchair

Quote:
Him and Blind are a decent contrast. It'll be interesting to see them come up against a genuine front 2, if they ever do. The full backs are awesome and DdG is DdG.
Yep works great. Smalling beasting and blind kind of playing sweeper. Shaw is another monster and Darmian is like some sort of football terminator.

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Stickman

When he had that run next to Vidic in the 10-11 season he looked like a top class defender in the making, we never really saw that level from him again consistently. He's that player again now and more, I can't believe this is Chris Smalling were watching, he's absolutely dominating.

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:04 AM
jem

if we could just get everton to swap stones for the new duncan edwards, we'll be sorted.

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
mf options looking pretty good too - just need the pointy end sorting out and we're competing at the top again.

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:09 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if we could just get everton to swap stones for the new duncan edwards, we'll be sorted.
Swap him for Rojo..

Buy Barclay.

Find another couple of wide attackers and hope Januzaj, Wilson and Pereira come good

My German friend reckons that if Januzaj doesn't come good after a season with Tuchel, he never will. Said he was good yesterday too

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:10 AM
jem

Quote:
Swap him for Rojo..

Buy Barclay.

Find another couple of wide attackers and hope Januzaj, Wilson and Pereira come good
not sure if you mean ross barkley or paddy barclay.

issi rojo is bad dunk :shakehead:

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:16 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
not sure if you mean ross barkley or paddy barclay.

issi rojo is bad dunk :shakehead:
Paddy, obv

Barkley. I'm blaming my phone

Just picking on Rojo because I know you like him. I can't even remember what he looks like on a football pitch

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Yep. Darmers-Smalling-Stones-Shaw is the dream.

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Jack Duckworth

he was motm for me yesterday.

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Don't need two old fashioned cbs these days so him and blind is fine.

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:42 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
he was motm for me yesterday.
Not sure if it was dedicated to you personally but he was good.

Unread 13-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Mr_Ed

If his distribution was better I'd be more than happy. Fear he'll lose his place when Jones is fit.
Closed Thread