United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM
jem

Default Re: I'd Rather the team was built 'round Rooney and Pea but...

ronaldo is still young.

Unread 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Great stuff from Fergie. Just a master at 'evolving' sides and making the transition appear as seemeless as possible.

Question: Would anyone be disappointed to see any of the names on the list of the 'overhaul' go? I wouldn't. Neville simply has to finish, as does Hargreaves. VDS is 57 and Wes has served us well. Krusty has had his moments, but it's best for all parties for him to move on.

Yep, new keeper, creative midfielder and another winger and we're looking pretty good. I really hope Cleverly and Welbeck can make the impact we want.
cleverley and welbeck can both play either wing; cleverley can play in the middle of midfield and welbeck in the middle up top. i don't think we need another winger with those two, plus nani, valencia, park and another year from giggs. plus the odd cameo from ajose or king.

i honestly don't think we're missing much of anything in terms of quality or squad depth. a central midfield to pick up scholes' mantle - that may be anderson - is all. but i think we need a name player to come in and energise the squad, maintain the club's aura etc.

would love to see banega arrive if not then maybe pastore. somebody of that ilk, capable of running the game for us.

hernandez at palermo is an interesting one as well, though i don't think we need a striker given welbeck's progress and the three we have at the club. reckon hernandez will be off to spain in the summer anyway.

Unread 06-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Lok

We best not £#%&!ing cheap out on a goalkeeper. It's a vital position and one we shouldn't £#%&! about with.

The rest of the team is decent enough to compete. Sure we could do with a creative central midfielder but I'd rather we went in big and got a top keeper.

Unread 06-01-2011, 10:57 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
cleverley and welbeck can both play either wing; cleverley can play in the middle of midfield and welbeck in the middle up top. I don't think we need another winger with those two, plus nani, valencia, park and another year from giggs. Plus the odd cameo from ajose or king.

I honestly don't think we're missing much of anything in terms of quality or squad depth. A central midfield to pick up scholes' mantle - that may be anderson - is all. But i think we need a name player to come in and energise the squad, maintain the club's aura etc.

Would love to see banega arrive If not then maybe pastore. Somebody of that ilk, capable of running the game for us.

Hernandez at palermo is an interesting one as well, though i don't think we need a striker given welbeck's progress and the three we have at the club. reckon hernandez will be off to spain in the summer anyway.

dooooooom

Unread 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Who's the midfielder at Bilbao(?) think Whalers is a big fan?

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Bunker Buster

Can hargreaves play in goal?

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Who's the midfielder at Bilbao(?) think Whalers is a big fan?
Javi Martinez?

Wouldn't be suprised to see Hargreaves given a new deal over the next 6 months, on a "pay as you play"?

Do we risk not giving him a new deal when potentially he could be a decent player again for us, just needs to get over the naggling injuries he's picking up and play a couple of games before making the decision.

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Barracuda

To leave or retire:

Eddie VDS
Love Shack
Neville
Brown
Hargreaves
Gibson
Owen

To be replaced by:

Neuer
Lindegaard
Top class all round midfielder in his early to mid 20's - Martinez & Pastore are great shouts
Cleverley
Welbeck

So a top GK and midfielder are the only real urgent buys we need - I wouldn't be at all surprised if we buy back Shawcross at some stage either, depending on how Evans deals with his nightmare spell.

Add in Pogba, Morrison and co and we look pretty well set for the near future.

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Javi Martinez?

Wouldn't be suprised to see Hargreaves given a new deal over the next 6 months, on a "pay as you play"?

Do we risk not giving him a new deal when potentially he could be a decent player again for us, just needs to get over the naggling injuries he's picking up and play a couple of games before making the decision.
That sounds like the fella, Whalers drools about him, any chance we get him? Tend to respect Whalers view on players.

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
andyroo

Quote:
That sounds like the fella, Whalers drools about him, any chance we get him? Tend to respect Whalers view on players.
Madrid are sniffing. Don't like our chances.

As for Pastore he's all but got a Barcelona club crest tattooed on his arse.

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Madrid are sniffing. Don't like our chances.

As for Pastore he's all but got a Barcelona club crest tattooed on his arse.
Oh ffs, they signed a load of midfielders last summer and the summer before.

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:59 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Since when do they sign players based on need?

Unread 06-01-2011, 11:59 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Yeah half of them want out.

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Yeah have of them want out.
Khaderia looked decent in the WC. Not sure he's what we need necassarilly.

We could get Diarra, he totally dominated United once in a game in which we created 27 chances.

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Since when do they sign players based on need?
Oh I know but it's a £#%&!ing joke, particularly as their finances are shadier than the darkest depths of the ocean.

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Ginners

diouf is looking decent at blackburn, fancy hes got more of a chance than bebe....

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
diouf is looking decent at blackburn, fancy hes got more of a chance than bebe....
As in Bebe has no chance and Diouf has next to no chance?

Looking long term we already have Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, Macheda, King and Keane - they're going to have to improve drastically to hold down a squad place amongst those.

Bebe will get a few years because of the nature of his transfer, binning him quickly would be the biggest admission of a £#%&!-up ever - and I can easily see Diouf staying at Blackburn permanently, definitely if Fat Sam hadn't have £#%&!ed off.

Give them a go by all means, but at present others are looking far more promising than they are.

Unread 06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
jem

that's harsh on diouf.

bebe's only chance will be going viral.

Unread 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
that's harsh on diouf.

bebe's only chance will be going viral.
Maybe so, but there's only so many strikers you can have and I personally wouldn't take out any of those I mentioned to fit Diouf in - and if we retain Berbatov to another contract, there's another one in the mix for a couple of years.

Got to be ruthless at times, unless he transforms into Drogba I just can't see him getting a look in with so much competition.

Unread 06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
dunk

I'm not judging Bebe based on this season, too many too quick to write players off. Next season will be a bit fairer to judge him, but even then he'll only be a young (in footballing terms) 21. I think he'll have to put some serious graft in and at least become effective/competent in the wide positions, certainly short term. Same for Obertan, as Welbeck is currently doing.

Long shot, but time is on both of their sides, and let's be honest, being written off by the majority of this board can only stand them in good stead.
Closed Thread