Closed Thread

Unread 09-02-2010, 05:51 PM
naes_sean

Default Re: Like it or not, we're not that far behind Liverpool

:shakehead: ffs

Unread 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
redmike

Bet this thread started on the back of a defeat.

Unread 09-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Sparky***

is this thread a joke?

We're better than liverpool in every department. Miles better.

Unread 09-02-2010, 06:53 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
is this thread a joke?

We're better than liverpool in every department. Miles better.

we just need to master the art of actually beating the @#%&!s

Unread 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
we just need to master the art of actually beating the @#%&!s
hmmmm, interesting......

Unread 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Sparky***

That's a fair point, but up until last season they hadn't beaten us in the league in about 5 years.

The last 3 times we've played them, I don't think i've ever seen a united side play so bad against the vermin. Vidic also seems to personally choose this fixture to have an absolute holocaust.

Unread 09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
red in cumbria

Don't forget that in the first of that unwanted hat-trick we were doing OK until they kicked Carrick out of the game

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:00 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
That's a fair point, but up until last season they hadn't beaten us in the league in about 5 years.

The last 3 times we've played them, I don't think i've ever seen a united side play so bad against the vermin. Vidic also seems to personally choose this fixture to have an absolute holocaust.
sparks i will never forget the noise them @#%&!s made when that 4th goal went in at OT it was £#%&!ing terrible.

No fun gave me a lift home that was the highlight of my day

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
sparks i will never forget the noise them @#%&!s made when that 4th goal went in at OT it was £#%&!ing terrible.

he sat next to me at the game the jinxing @#%&!

it was even worse than the defeat

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:21 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino ariza
he sat next to me at the game the jinxing @#%&!

it was even worse than the defeat
lets make sure that never happens again

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

yes it was crap. But I'll never forget the noise I made when we beat them 4-0 in 2003 or when john o shea scored in 2007.

We're due a result against them, just as we were against arsenal the other week.

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Ethers

Quote:
We're due a result against them, just as we were against arsenal the other week.
We'd beaten Arsenal in 5 of our last 7 against them

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blazini
We'd beaten Arsenal in 5 of our last 7 against them
I meant we were due a result at arsenal. soz.

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Duly noted.

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
We beat them in the CL there last season.

Only joshing old bean.

Didn't we go on a dreadful losing run against the Vermin like losing four games on the spin in the PL and then they never beat us for the next four years. Just need to break the bok.

I'm sure one of our resident Stattos will confirm it.

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge

Only joshing old bean.

Didn't we go on a dreadful losing run against the Vermin like losing four games on the spin in the PL and then they never beat us for the next four years. Just need to break the bok.

Yes. They beat us the back end of 2004....(penalty if I remember rightly at OT 1-0)

They didn't beat us in the league again until 2008.

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:40 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge

Only joshing old bean.

Yep, that's basically right. They won five in a row if you count the Charity Shield as well, but only won three games in all competitions from the 2002-03 to 2007-08 seasons inclusive (League Cup Final 2002-03, Prem at OT 2003-04, FA Cup 2005-06)

Before they went on that 4 (or 5) game streak, moreover, they didn't win a game against us anywhere for FIVE years

Maybe it's our turn again?

Unread 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM
taff

man-for-man i'd say we were significantly better than liverpool. not just in terms of ability - although i'd argue that someone like nani has more potential in his tiny #@&%! than the dippers have in their entire first eleven - but as who we are as a team, in terms of the composition of our squad and the attitudes of our players.

take the captains, for instance. giggs, one of the most decorated players in english football history, a testament to achievement through professionalism, dedication and skill and an ideal figure for any young player to emulate. put him alongside steven "it kills me that i've never won the league" gerrard - undoubtedly a talent, but a loser for much of his career, and someone who has wasted precious energy on carrying hordes of third-rate players. oh yeah, and someone who spent the best part of a season insidiously trying to engineer a move away from his boyhood club. i know who i'd rather have about the place.

the fact remains that those who come to united want to do well for us. even though some haven't succeeded - veron, forlan (berbatov?) - i wouldn't question their desire to be a part of united and contribute towards our success. and we've had plenty who've managed it - the current crop includes industrious, tenacious, incisive players like evra, fletcher, rooney, valencia, carrick, and not forgetting the old heads like giggs and scholes. in VDS, rio and vidic we've got the foundations of a defence that's proven at the highest level and was setting league records only a year ago.

and even those who haven't found their feet right away have stuck around and made a go of it - nani, anderson, park - for the similar reason that our players want a career with us. too many of liverpool's players look like benitez nipped over to the continent, shipped them over here with a blindfold on, and they emerged blinking into the light with not much of a clue what they're doing here. the result? no-mark players making very little impact. n'gog, insua, aquilani, lucas, babel - all arguably not good enough for this level, and all showing little sign of improvement. we've had players criticised for similar reasons who can look like worldbeaters on their day, and i think that's because united - and the sense of inclusiveness that ferguson has created - inspires them to do so.

this is all on a good day, of course. shame we've not had too many against them recently. but i think in principle we far outstrip them. in fact, i've got even more convinced of it whilst writing this.

Unread 09-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Rossi the Red

Thumbs up Re: Like it or not, we're not that far behind Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
man-for-man i'd say we were significantly better than liverpool. not just in terms of ability - although i'd argue that someone like nani has more potential in his tiny #@&%! than the dippers have in their entire first eleven - but as who we are as a team, in terms of the composition of our squad and the attitudes of our players.

take the captains, for instance. giggs, one of the most decorated players in english football history, a testament to achievement through professionalism, dedication and skill and an ideal figure for any young player to emulate. put him alongside steven "it kills me that i've never won the league" gerrard - undoubtedly a talent, but a loser for much of his career, and someone who has wasted precious energy on carrying hordes of third-rate players. oh yeah, and someone who spent the best part of a season insidiously trying to engineer a move away from his boyhood club. i know who i'd rather have about the place.

the fact remains that those who come to united want to do well for us. even though some haven't succeeded - veron, forlan (berbatov?) - i wouldn't question their desire to be a part of united and contribute towards our success. and we've had plenty who've managed it - the current crop includes industrious, tenacious, incisive players like evra, fletcher, rooney, valencia, carrick, and not forgetting the old heads like giggs and scholes. in VDS, rio and vidic we've got the foundations of a defence that's proven at the highest level and was setting league records only a year ago.

and even those who haven't found their feet right away have stuck around and made a go of it - nani, anderson, park - for the similar reason that our players want a career with us. too many of liverpool's players look like benitez nipped over to the continent, shipped them over here with a blindfold on, and they emerged blinking into the light with not much of a clue what they're doing here. the result? no-mark players making very little impact. n'gog, insua, aquilani, lucas, babel - all arguably not good enough for this level, and all showing little sign of improvement. we've had players criticised for similar reasons who can look like worldbeaters on their day, and i think that's because united - and the sense of inclusiveness that ferguson has created - inspires them to do so.

this is all on a good day, of course. shame we've not had too many against them recently. but i think in principle we far outstrip them. in fact, i've got even more convinced of it whilst writing this.
Top post that.

Unread 10-02-2010, 06:12 AM
borsuk

taff

only one world class player? whatever world-class means...

we have
the best left back in the world
two of the best centre halves in the world (when £#%&!ing fit)
one of the top keepers in the world
giggs and scholes - need to be nursed, yes, but on their day they are still world class, scholes especially this year
rooney
and, imo, fletcher has been as good as any defensive midfielder in the world for two seasons+ now
Closed Thread