United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-01-2011, 01:30 PM
PaulParkers

Football Is Jonny Evans the new John O'Shea?

Both promised so much when they were introduced into the first team, O'Shea as the twinkle toed, maruading full-back, capable of beating players going forward and passing to team mates....and Evans as the centre half, whilst lacking in a little pace, looked tough and knew the bag when it came to defending.

It seems a little hypercritical to judge Evans as he is still only 23 (?) but he appears to have gone backwards in his development and looks out of his depth against the most argricultural of centre forwards. Indeed, he looks likely to cost us a goal IMO every game he plays.

Can he put this season behind him and get back to the level he once looked certain of making? Or should we cut our losses?

Unread 30-01-2011, 01:31 PM
forzagarza

Default Re: Is Jonny Evans the new John O'Shea?

Dunno, wait until Ginners gaydar is in reach

Unread 30-01-2011, 01:43 PM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Dunno, wait until Ginners gaydar is in reach
Good call

Unread 30-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Sparky***

he's struggling, but he's hardly being helped at the moment by our pedestrian and defensively insufficient midfield.

Unread 30-01-2011, 01:57 PM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
he's struggling, but he's hardly being helped at the moment by our pedestrian and defensively insufficient midfield.
Whilst I see your point, I don't think you can blame his inability to match second rate centre forwards for aggression or the fact he cant win a header cleanly on our midfield.

His distribution is poor which you can apportion some blame to the midfield players but basic defensive responsibilities need to lie with the individual. The positions he takes up from crosses from deep alo worries me. He's either right up the full backs chuff leaving acres in behind him or dropping so deep he leaves enough space for Dean Windass to fill in front of him.

Unread 30-01-2011, 02:04 PM
armchair

I think he could well form a very successful partnership with Biggie. If he wins as many medals as jos he'll be doing very well.

Unread 30-01-2011, 02:33 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I think he could well form a very successful partnership with Biggie. If he wins as many medals as jos he'll be doing very well.
true, in 100 years time o'shea's medal haul will be discussed in the next century's version of toilet sniffer's world's greatest mysteries thread.

Unread 30-01-2011, 02:37 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Yeah, but you want to be part of the reason the medals are won, not have them won despite you.

Unread 30-01-2011, 02:42 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkersPubes
Both promised so much when they were introduced into the first team, O'Shea as the twinkle toed, maruading full-back, capable of beating players going forward and passing to team mates....and Evans as the centre half, whilst lacking in a little pace, looked tough and knew the bag when it came to defending.

It seems a little hypercritical to judge Evans as he is still only 23 (?) but he appears to have gone backwards in his development and looks out of his depth against the most argricultural of centre forwards. Indeed, he looks likely to cost us a goal IMO every game he plays.

Can he put this season behind him and get back to the level he once looked certain of making? Or should we cut our losses?
His body language oozes lack of confidence, he looks like he's standing in a very small tunnel in the way of a very large train.

Unread 30-01-2011, 03:52 PM
borsuk

not unusual for a young player to follow an excellent first real season in the team with a dodgy second season, far too early to tell imo.

i thought he looked quite decent in his last few appearances btw. still making the odd mistake but his overall game had picked up from the shambles it had become a month ago or so.

Unread 30-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Harry Flashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
not unusual for a young player to follow an excellent first real season in the team with a dodgy second season, far too early to tell imo.

i thought he looked quite decent in his last few appearances btw. still making the odd mistake but his overall game had picked up from the shambles it had become a month ago or so.
Spot on Borsuk

A little bit of second season syndrome for me as well.

Evans has shown glimpses of the form of last season unfortuanatly not for 90 mins at a time.
Could it be that he does not have the pressure of having to perform, only being thrown into the odd game whereas last season he was relied upon for a number of games. Knowing that you have to be on your metal all the time sharpens the senses somewhat, remember we played something like 13 consecutive games with Evra as our only recognised defender, Evan being used as a stop gap and performing admirably and along the way Edwin breaking the record of consecutive clean sheets. Now every one expects him to be of the standard of Rio & Vidic when he appears.

This year he hasn't had the consistent run of games every player needs.

As for Oseah, £#%&! me the stick that lad gets on all the United forums is beyond belief.
His lack of pace is evident for all to see but the way people knock him (and others) makes me wonder who makes these post, are Paolo Maldini & Japp Stam masquerading as posters on forums giving their opinions upon players.

Most could only dream about being as good as these lads and turning out for United ever week.

They are Manchester United players and as such deserve our support, not the constant %@#$&!ing they get on here.

Unread 30-01-2011, 04:58 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Flashman
They are Manchester United players and as such deserve our support, not the constant %@#$&!ing they get on here.
You make some good points, but I dont agree with this. Why you shouldn't voice your opinion on the attributes of a player is beyond me. Support them at the game but to suggest they are above criticism because they play for united is horsepiss of the horseyist and pissyist kind.

Neither do you have to possess any skill at football yourself to criticise a player. I've never played to any decent level but I can tell the difference between zanetti and o'shea.

Sheasy is quite obviously superior.

Unread 30-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Spot on Borsuk

Evans has shown glimpses of the form of last season unfortuanatly not for 90 mins at a time.
Could it be that he does not have the pressure of having to perform, only being thrown into the odd game whereas last season he was relied upon for a number of games. Knowing that you have to be on your metal all the time sharpens the senses somewhat, remember we played something like 13 consecutive games with Evra as our only recognised defender, Evan being used as a stop gap and performing admirably and along the way Edwin breaking the record of consecutive clean sheets. Now every one expects him to be of the standard of Rio & Vidic when he appears.

As for Oseah, £#%&! me the stick that lad gets on all the United forums is beyond belief.
His lack of pace is evident for all to see but the way people knock him (and others) makes me wonder who makes these post, are Paolo Maldini & Japp Stam masquerading as posters on forums giving their opinions upon players.

Most could only dream about being as good as these lads and turning out for United ever week.

They are Manchester United players and as such deserve our support, not the constant %@#$&!ing they get on here
Oh give over. In the ground they get our support - on the internet, I don't think what we say really matters in the grand scheme of things does it?

As for the paulo maldini and stam shite, are we not allowed to offer an opinion because we aren't world class professional footballers then?

John O'Shea is a sub-standard footballer who struggles with the basics. He earns thousands of pounds a £#%&!ing week for being a mostly average football player. The poor lamb, how hard he must have it because some big meanies called him shit on an internet forum.

Unread 30-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Harry Flashman

irk & sparky

far from, am i saying your not allowed to express your opinion or anyone else for that matter, i do the same myself for £#%&! sake (@#%&!ing players, its what we all do), 'spose im just getting a bit narked with the constant abuse some players get on this forum.

It's all opinions but if the manager picks them what the £#%&! do we know?

I gave up years ago questioning him, Im not his biggest fan but £#%&! me he knows whats best for this club and his ability to choose footballers to represent Manchester United is beyond reproach.

Irk.

You have no idea what level of football i played at.
So shut it.

Worst £#%&!ing keeper you ever saw.

Unread 30-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Part 36 Offer

Cool Re: Is Jonny Evans the new John O'Shea?

Quote:
Spot on Borsuk

Excellent post Flashers.

Unread 30-01-2011, 06:31 PM
irk

Quote:
irk & sparky

far from, am i saying your not allowed to express your opinion or anyone else for that matter, i do the same myself for £#%&! sake (@#%&!ing players, its what we all do), 'spose im just getting a bit narked with the constant abuse some players get on this forum.

It's all opinions but if the manager picks them what the £#%&! do we know?

I gave up years ago questioning him, Im not his biggest fan but £#%&! me he knows whats best for this club and his ability to choose footballers to represent Manchester United is beyond reproach.

Irk.

You have no idea what level of football i played at.
So shut it.

Worst £#%&!ing keeper you ever saw.
That explains it - all keepers are batshit

Unread 30-01-2011, 06:34 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Excellent post Flashers.

Unread 30-01-2011, 06:37 PM
borsuk

the things irk has on his hard drive

Unread 30-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Oh give over. In the ground they get our support - on the internet, I don't think what we say really matters in the grand scheme of things does it?

As for the paulo maldini and stam shite, are we not allowed to offer an opinion because we aren't world class professional footballers then?

John O'Shea is a sub-standard footballer who struggles with the basics. He earns thousands of pounds a £#%&!ing week for being a mostly average football player. The poor lamb, how hard he must have it because some big meanies called him shit on an internet forum.
Spot on Sparky.

This is why it makes me laugh when people start crying about players being criticised. I don't know how much O'Shea earns but it must be an absolute fortune, yet people still talk as if the poor thing is forced into playing for the minimum wage. Yes, O'Shea is a billion times the footballer I'll ever be - but I'm not the one being paid untold riches to represent one of the world's best teams. You earn millions playing for Man. United, then you have to be able to take criticism. Imo provided that criticism isn't given inside the ground, then it's entirely valid.

Unread 30-01-2011, 06:45 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the things irk has on his hard drive
Woah there borserserers. It could've been worse - it could've been stubbsy
Closed Thread