United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-09-2022, 11:31 PM
Hyman_Roth

As has been said - for me, it’s baby steps, firstly not dreading every match we play, not being routinely humiliated by our enemies, not howling at watching overpaid men be abject.

From that dark place, then starting to actually enjoy small parts of each match, remembering why you started following a football team in the first place, then seeing a few of the players actually put in the effort that supporters want to see - then seeing them actually playing well for whole matches, winning a few, getting the crowd going, getting a bit of swagger back etc etc.

Trophies and all that can and will follow but for me, United have gone so far in the wrong direction, had become so toxic and so utterly depressing that watching something simple like one of our players make a crunching tackle is currently enough for me to extract some enjoyment..

So I’m going to enjoy this for a bit before getting burdened with greater expectations.

Unread 05-09-2022, 04:09 AM
shenwen

Looks like Erik has focused on spirit and energy to begin. Keep it solid at the back - dropping Maguire and Shaw has helped a lot - and work like £#%&! everywhere else. Once he gets the team more used to his style, we'll only get better. Less long ball and more Ten Hag ball.

Unread 05-09-2022, 08:17 AM
Zorg

Loved ETH's reaction - 'still lots of room for improvement'. Seems to have his head screwed on and knows it's still September ffs, all this means very little yet. The transformation since the Brentford match is incredible though. He obviously has the respect of the players and they look more confident and together than they have for years.

Unread 05-09-2022, 08:39 AM
Seamus

I'm a bit giddy if I am honest

Unread 05-09-2022, 08:45 AM
wiganste

I think we have a right to be pal after the shit we've been served up over the last 12 months

no one saw us winning 4 on the bounce after the first two games. And beating Liverpool & Arsenal in that run too.

Unread 05-09-2022, 08:50 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Loved ETH's reaction - 'still lots of room for improvement'. Seems to have his head screwed on and knows it's still September ffs, all this means very little yet. The transformation since the Brentford match is incredible though. He obviously has the respect of the players and they look more confident and together than they have for years.
Rashers was asked what the difference was and he immediately answered ‘togetherness’ before descending back into his interview prepared answer crib sheet stuff about ‘running the lines’ etc.

Unread 05-09-2022, 09:24 AM
Mr_Ed

The immediate thing for all to see is that we play the ball out quickly ‘between the lines’ now we have players with a bit of intelligence who can actually play a pass.

The Scottish player should be told to immediately pass the ball short to either Erikson or Bruno and do nothing more.

I’d like our number 9 to remain in the box rather than drifting round and about so we can get some crosses in but that’s a minor niggle.

ETH’s no nonsense approach, making them run on the Sunday, £#%&!ing off the dead wood (like Jones) and actually coaching them is paying dividends… also dropping Shaw and Maguire who have been constant in the decline is another one. VVG2C that none of the starting four defenders from last season is getting a sniff at the moment.

Unread 05-09-2022, 09:28 AM
shenwen

The number of times I expected a pass back to De Gea but instead Martinez fizzes it through the middle to feet. Witchcraft.

Saying that, I was close to heart attack for everyone of the minutes that Maguire was on the pitch. He looked lost out there.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:07 AM
Dasilvatwins

If rashford learns how to hold up the ball and use his upper body strength better he will be great.

I hate to say it but Gabriel Jesus on many occasions held the ball up on varane like he wasn’t there. You don’t need to be the biggest , just need make the right decisions .hopefully he isn’t injured as he looks like he’s finally building some form .

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:10 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
If rashford learns how to hold up the ball and use his upper body strength better he will be great.

I hate to say it but Gabriel Jesus on many occasions held the ball up on varane like he wasn’t there. You don’t need to be the biggest , just need make the right decisions .hopefully he isn’t injured as he looks like he’s finally building some form .
I don't think he can learn that at this stage, he's never had to do that. He's always been a wide forward who runs and dribbles with the ball.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:10 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Would love to see us win the FA Cup beating one of the other big guns in the final.

The whole Top 4 thinking I wasn’t so bothered about going into the season but after seeing us settle a bit i’d be disappointed to miss it.
Although I appreciate a top four finish is essential to the improvement of the team, as it helps attract the top players, I really want to see us win the FA Cup again. It really irks me that Arsenal have taken our place as the team with the most FA Cups. To those of us of a certain age, the FA Cup was the only thing we ever seemed likely to win, and we did quite often, so it has a special place in our hearts.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:34 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I don't think he can learn that at this stage, he's never had to do that. He's always been a wide forward who runs and dribbles with the ball.
True. Sometimes players change and adapt. I think it’s just wishful thinking . They have 12 months to scout a proper CF now. Ronaldo will be off in the summer, hopefully we have have enough fire power to take us through till then.

If martial gets fit , then rotating rashford/martial/Ronaldo should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Although I appreciate a top four finish is essential to the improvement of the team, as it helps attract the top players, I really want to see us win the FA Cup again. It really irks me that Arsenal have taken our place as the team with the most FA Cups. To those of us of a certain age, the FA Cup was the only thing we ever seemed likely to win, and we did quite often, so it has a special place in our hearts.
Would you take a second place finish and FA cup. Or a 5th place finish and europa and fa cup?

(Obviously I’d like them to win the league ) but it’s a process as ETH says . Far from the finished article . As giddy as I am today , there are still many more gears to move up before we challenge for the title proper. I do think 2nd place however is up for grabs

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:41 AM
tatty

It could be something of a false dawn with results but what I am confident about is the change of attitude and mindset.

Many of the toxic personalities have gone, and the ones remaining will realise they have to sort themselves out or they’ll be potted as well.

No more giggly, smiley OGS ‘mates’ act.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:42 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
True. Sometimes players change and adapt. I think it’s just wishful thinking . They have 12 months to scout a proper CF now. Ronaldo will be off in the summer, hopefully we have have enough fire power to take us through till then.

If martial gets fit , then rotating rashford/martial/Ronaldo should be ok.

Would you take a second place finish and FA cup. Or a 5th place finish and europa and fa cup?

(Obviously I’d like them to win the league ) but it’s a process as ETH says . Far from the finished article . As giddy as I am today , there are still many more gears to move up before we challenge for the title proper. I do think 2nd place however is up for grabs
Well the second one gets us into next years Champions League and wins an extra trophy, so it's a no brainer really

What I really don't want is an Arsenal like celebration of finishing fourth

Unread 05-09-2022, 11:08 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Well the second one gets us into next years Champions League and wins an extra trophy, so it's a no brainer really

What I really don't want is an Arsenal like celebration of finishing fourth
I think I want to see them do well in the league. It sets a base for me for next season. Second best team in England , add some signings , then go for the lot the next season 😎

Of course 1st is always the aim. Just have to be realistic. You never know? If we are there and thereabouts around Jan then maybe we could challenge but its a process .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
It could be something of a false dawn with results but what I am confident about is the change of attitude and mindset.

Many of the toxic personalities have gone, and the ones remaining will realise they have to sort themselves out or they’ll be potted as well.

No more giggly, smiley OGS ‘mates’ act.
Henderson , Bailey, shaw , slab, Jones , tuanzebe, Williams , greenwood. Still a lot of shit@#%&!s to be binned permanently but we are getting there. Will take a few windows
Closed Thread