United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Vic Mackey

Default Rooney will struggle to get in our team because Tevez is superior to Rooney

Rooney will struggle to get in our team when Berbs signs IMO, and here's why. We know SAF likes a striking option off the bench, and it will a rare occassion that all four start. SAF wont drop Ronaldo cos he is Ronaldo, and is different from the others in the sense that he can dribble past players like they're not even there. Berbatov will offer height and the ability to hold up the ball high up the pitch. That leaves Tevez and Rooney who are relatively similar in terms of style of play. Rooney was better tonight than he was against Newcastle, but he still has a tendency to get frustrated if his service isnt perfect, which leads to him dropping wide or far too deep to offer a goalscoring threat to the opposition.

Tevez probably works even harder for the team than Rooney. He is less injury-prone, fitter for the time being, and has more composure in front of goal than Wayne (though they could both improve in this regard).

Living in LDN now I dont get to as many games as I used to, but watching Tevez live is awe-inspiring. His first touch is excellent, he is the hub of everything we do right, and he harries defenders into mistakes. He is undroppable for the forseeable future.

SAF is aware that Wayne cant finish, but can expect Berbs to finish the majority of his chances, plus offer an aerial threat. He can expect Ronaldo to weigh in with 25+ goals in all competitions. He might start to use Wazza as a luxury substitute and someone to come in when the others are injured or in need of a rest. Maybe he will use Berbatov's arrival to try to gee him up and get him out of his relative slumber.

What I do think is that SAF is more pleased with Tevez than he is with Rooney right now and that could be key. Fuerte Apache indeed.

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:31 PM
armchair

i didn't read a word because the subject line was so #@&%!ed

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Mr_Ed

There's room for both of them at the moment... unless we get Berbatov.

However if the Bulgarian does sign then will Fergus have Carlito in his long-term plans?

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
i didn't read a word because the subject line was so #@&%!ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
There's room for both of them at the moment... unless we get Berbatov.

Ahh too complicated for your simple soul?

Look I've even changed it.

However if the Bulgarian does sign then will Fergus have Carlito in his long-term plans?
Notice how Tevez harries defenders into mistakes, while Wayne chases after them like a maniac and hacks them down.

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:46 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
will Fergus have Carlito in his long-term plans?
I think so. Mainly because I think it's already been decided that Ronaldo will definitely be off at the end of this season. Tevez or Rooney may spend more time then they want on the bench this season; but in the coming years they (along with Berbs) will all start. Injuries permitting of course.

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:48 PM
armchair

Who did he hack down? I thought he did well in a proper attacking role, had a perfectly good goal disallowed, and ran the line well. Tevez was never going to score, Rooney could've had two at least.

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Ether

Quote:
Who did he hack down? I thought he did well in a proper attacking role, had a perfectly good goal disallowed, and ran the line well. Tevez was never going to score, Rooney could've had two at least.
Spot on.

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
See the Newcastle game when you just knew he'd hack Colocinni down after losing the ball legitimitely.

I'm talking about the past two years, not the past two hours. Rooney's finishing has been piss-poor. Even MJ Ramone cant deny that.

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:53 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
See the Newcastle game when you just knew he'd hack Colocinni down after losing the ball legitimitely.

I'm talking about the past two years, not the past two hours. Rooney's finishing has been piss-poor. Even MJ Ramone cant deny that.
We were playing pompey tonight

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:54 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
dont agree there splinter.

tevez was starting off all out moves, turning and running at goal.

rooeny was over hitting passes, drifting out wide to then comes inside and cross the ball and arriving in the box far too late for a striker and making the wrong decisions.(running to the back post as opposed to the front one which big dazza gambled on)

rooney 'could score' 3 everygame but has finished behind ronaldo and tevez in the top scorers table last season.

his one clear chance, he should have scored.

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
We were playing pompey tonight
What about when we Chelsea and Liverpool? We're gonna need players who can finish chances, and Tevez and Berbatov can do that.

I remember last year when Wayne scored a cool finish at Stamford Bridge, but too often he's missing sitters like he did at Anfield.

Unread 25-08-2008, 11:58 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
dont agree there splinter.

tevez was starting off all out moves, turning and running at goal.

rooeny was over hitting passes, drifting out wide to then comes inside and cross the ball and arriving in the box far too late for a striker and making the wrong decisions.(running to the back post as opposed to the front one which big dazza gambled on)

rooney 'could score' 3 everygame but has finished behind ronaldo and tevez in the top scorers table last season.

his one clear chance, he should have scored.
tevez basically played in midfield. You can't compare the two.

A lot easier finding a man with 3 around you. Tevez played great though imho.

Unread 26-08-2008, 12:00 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
tevez basically played in midfield. You can't compare the two.
Quote:
Tevez was never going to score, Rooney could've had two at least.
you did it first

tevez still looked our biggest goal threat after big dazza.

Unread 26-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Vic Mackey

I defy anyone to tell me that Tevez hasnt been superior to Rooney since about his fourth game for the club.

All those crucial goals - Lyon, Spurs, Blackburn, Liverpool.

Whens the last Wayne put in an all-time great display against Barca at OT? Tevez was immense and he cant reasonably be dropped. Berbatov will offer us composed finishing, a great first touch and an aerial threat.

Where does that leave Wazza? On the bench for a few weeks at least if SAF is being fair.

Like Fergie says, theres no room for sentiment at United. Not if you want get 90+ points and win titles.

Unread 26-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Spot on, it annoys me that when Rooney plays well but doesn't score he gets lambasted but when Tevez does the same he gets praise.

Unread 26-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Spot on, it annoys me that when Rooney plays well but doesn't score he gets lambasted but when Tevez does the same he gets praise.
Rooney's average performances are outnumering his good ones at the moment. Hides from goal by dropping back to the centre circle every 2 minutes.

Unread 26-08-2008, 12:21 AM
S/Side.Red

Why does Berbatov just walk into our team? We won the double last season with what we've already got in attack. He should be the one to force his way in, and if he brings even a touch of that attitude to United I'd hate to see him in the side ahead of Rooney or Tevez.

Unread 26-08-2008, 12:34 AM
roon78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
Rooney's average performances are outnumering his good ones at the moment. Hides from goal by dropping back to the centre circle every 2 minutes.
More like a lack of decent service at the moment, therefore having to track back to get more of the ball.

Unread 26-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Luffy

I woud say Rooney's performance tonight was decent if not good - but that was unusual I would say, and he never looks like a natural out and out striker - and thats always a worry. Strikers need to be making the right runs at the right times like clockwork otherwise you run into brick walls.

Rooney used to whack a ball with the best of them, you used to think he could score from anywhere within 25 yards, he was like an 18 yr old striker version of Gerrard with the skill of Gazza, touch of Zidane and determination of Keane.

Looking back at some of his earlier games, he was amazing and could finish as cool as you like. There was no fear in his game, as soon as he had an angle on goal he would whack it. He seems afraid now, like somethings haunting him and his confidence is low.

Its not like Tevez who has never been that hot at finishing or shooting from distance, Rooney was much better than he is now and there has to be questions asked as to why that is and how we get back to that level.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:16 AM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Why does Berbatov just walk into our team? We won the double last season with what we've already got in attack. He should be the one to force his way in, and if he brings even a touch of that attitude to United I'd hate to see him in the side ahead of Rooney or Tevez.
cos he is world class and unlike the other 2 he scores goals. hope that helps.
Closed Thread