United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-02-2017, 04:38 PM
dunk

I remember being absolutely £#%&!ing livid and smashing my phone after the Leverkusen 2nd leg in 2002 then the worst reaction I can remember was when Arsenal turned it round in the last few minutes at the Emirates and Henry headed the winner, booted about 20 of the kids' toys around the living room for about 10 minutes, I was furious, since then I've not been so bad, have a whinge and go and do something else.

The Cup Final defeats (Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barca twice ) were all more demoralising than anger inducing. Same with the big defeats to our rivals, takes a few days or the next game to get over the little bit of grief that envelopes life after one of those. Much less nowadays, but I think that comes from the decrease in expectations..

Unread 19-02-2017, 05:11 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Deffo got worse from mid 90's to 2013, before the mid 90's disappointments were pretty regular, there were days when I'd be perfectly happy with a point. From 94 to a couple of years ago there was a sliding scale of shite mood depending on the importance of the game.

The last 3 years has seen a decline to the sort of philosophical resignation that prevailed through the late 80's, I've watched them £#%&! up so often that I just can't get that worked up any more, when you've watched Manchester United get butt£#%&!ed 4-0 by MK Dons there's not much point getting worked up if they only get a point in a league game.

Biggest annoyance nowadays is if the football is dogshit. I can stand the results provided I'm moderately entertained, last year was a £#%&!ing grind win or lose.

Unread 19-02-2017, 07:43 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink
Doesn't really bother me tbh.
Its strange how you react differently to various setbacks.

I took the last day disappointments in the 1995 and 2012 seasons with a fair amount of equanimity, given how gut wrenching they (especially the latter) were.

OTOH after the 1-6 I genuinely wanted to smash things. And as I said the other day, Leverkusen still hurts now

But for me (especially since I can barely remember relegation) nothing will ever beat Liverpool away in spring 1992

Unread 19-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I remember being absolutely £#%&!ing livid and smashing my phone after the Leverkusen 2nd leg in 2002 then the worst reaction I can remember was when Arsenal turned it round in the last few minutes at the Emirates and Henry headed the winner, booted about 20 of the kids' toys around the living room for about 10 minutes, I was furious, since then I've not been so bad, have a whinge and go and do something else.

The Cup Final defeats (Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barca twice ) were all more demoralising than anger inducing. Same with the big defeats to our rivals, takes a few days or the next game to get over the little bit of grief that envelopes life after one of those. Much less nowadays, but I think that comes from the decrease in expectations..
Funny you should mention the Henry game, that sticks in my mind as one I £#%&!ing lost my shit over.

I went into a numb calm state initially. Ordered some Chinese food. Went to pick it up and they'd messed up my order....

Unread 19-02-2017, 08:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Funny you should mention the Henry game, that sticks in my mind as one I £#%&!ing lost my shit over.

I went into a numb calm state initially. Ordered some Chinese food. Went to pick it up and they'd messed up my order....

That was the 2006/07 campaign I think? They did the double over us that season

I still vividly remember an earlier Highbury one where we pulled it back to 2-2 from 2-0, then £#%&!ing Platt (who was generally shite for them) got a late winner

Unread 19-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
That was the 2006/07 campaign I think? They did the double over us that season

I still vividly remember an earlier Highbury one where we pulled it back to 2-2 from 2-0, then £#%&!ing Platt (who was generally shite for them) got a late winner
That's the one yeah.

Yes, that 3-2 was a bad one. Tyler creaming himself over 2 average arsenal goals and attending his own son's funeral for our goals.

Unread 19-02-2017, 09:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

I guess part of it is growing up, but I think it was more to do with what watching united in the 80s and 90s did to me. mediocrity, disappointment and going out of european competition to teams of which I had never heard. plus some good stuffs, obvs. also, robson's constant injuries. all ifs and buts.

Unread 19-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface

That title race was just so stressful, deep down many expected us to let Chelsea back in. That Henry match was an absolute piss boiler as wed been so comfortable and played the game to perfection. Henry hadn't had a sniff all game either then back in the studio I think Jamie Redknapp opened with "oh hes just the king int he?!"

Unread 19-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Zorg

Hated West Ham ever since 1995 - absolute con artists. Players who coast along to a nice wage all season pretending to give a shit, and then suddenly decide they can be arsed putting in some effort when the Man United bandwagon rolls into town and they can get noticed. £#%&!ers. £#%&!ing @#%&!s.

Unread 19-02-2017, 10:58 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

For an adult male to legitimately compare the heartache of losing a loved one to the result of a football match is beyond £#%&!ing low.

Grow the £#%&! up you sad bastards and give music a go eh??

Unread 19-02-2017, 11:02 PM
sa7

It was far worse before Moyes came.

Used to go full on rage mode. When we lost 3-0 at Newcastle a few years back I threw a full pint glass at the wall. Was furious. Not only had we lost but I wasted a full beer

Since we've been demoralised in recent years my reaction is generally rolled eyes and mildly pissed off.

Cup final in 05 vs Arsenal, was behind the net and spent a full 5 minutes booting shit out of my seat after that @#%&! Vieira scored the winning penalty. Still makes me angry tbh

Unread 19-02-2017, 11:07 PM
andyroo

2009 after Fulham beat us was about the most mental I ever got.

Threw my radio across the room (it was a 3pm Saturday game...) and went into a roaring fit about how we'd handed the title on a silver plate to "them @#%&!s... THEM!" and kept shouting "THEM!" every few seconds. Ugly stuff.

Holy shit was a relief.

Unread 19-02-2017, 11:08 PM
TheFatGoth

Does anyone secretly enjoy it?

Unread 19-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Does anyone secretly enjoy it?
Football?

Unread 19-02-2017, 11:12 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Football?

Christ no.

Unread 19-02-2017, 11:15 PM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
2009 after Fulham beat us was about the most mental I ever got.

Threw my radio across the room (it was a 3pm Saturday game...) and went into a roaring fit about how we'd handed the title on a silver plate to "them c***s... THEM!" and kept shouting "THEM!" every few seconds. Ugly stuff.

Holy shit was a relief.
The macheda goal was the probably the most mental I've gone after a goal.

Because it was ' them ' challenging it made it much more intense.

I screamed so loud the whole family ran into the room thinking someone had broken in.

Unread 19-02-2017, 11:26 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody78
The macheda goal was the probably the most mental I've gone after a goal.

Because it was ' them ' challenging it made it much more intense.

I screamed so loud the whole family ran into the room thinking someone had broken in.
I ended up about 4 rows back from my seat with actually no memory of how I got there. Absolutely insane

Unread 20-02-2017, 12:07 AM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Hated West Ham ever since 1995 - absolute con artists. Players who coast along to a nice wage all season pretending to give a shit, and then suddenly decide they can be arsed putting in some effort when the Man United bandwagon rolls into town and they can get noticed. w****rs. £#%&!ing c***s.
remember blowing a two-goal lead against them in the last ten minutes at upton park the year after. beckham hit the bar right at the death.

always sticks in my head for some reason. £#%&!ing raging i was.

Unread 20-02-2017, 12:18 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
But the biggest one of all was when we drew 2-2 at anfield in 1999 and paul ince scored the equaliser. I smashed a glass coffee table in the living room by chucking the sky controls through it then i proceeded to kick the £#%&! out of the couch for about 10 mins.
I was ready to kill after that, no exaggeration

Unread 20-02-2017, 02:45 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
remember blowing a two-goal lead against them in the last ten minutes at upton park the year after. beckham hit the bar right at the death.

always sticks in my head for some reason. £#%&!ing raging i was.
Floran Radiciou scored or however you spell it. Seem to remember Beckham scored a peach to put us 2 up that game too.

Dicks scored a penalty to equalise.
Closed Thread