United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Grandadanne

Default For the love of your football club is a terrible thing

Anyone else ever thought that the pain of losing especially to @#%&!s like Shitty or Hilbropool is worth the pain.
Or do the good times compensate.

Sometimes I wish I had never got interested in football,there must be others who cant take the pain.

Unread 18-02-2017, 10:06 PM
no fun

I get over losses very quickly, but when Liverpool have any success it upsets me

Unread 18-02-2017, 10:14 PM
woody78

All depends how important the game is.
If it's important then I'll be in a bad mood for a couple of days

Unread 18-02-2017, 10:14 PM
Sparky***

I find it disappointing and annoying. Pain? Not really, no.

When you compare to actual real life shit that matters it really does fade into insignificance.

Unread 18-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Grandadanne

Well I actually feel kinda vomity for a couple of days after an important loss

And that`s when i question is it worth it.

Unread 18-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I find it disappointing and annoying. Pain? Not really, no.

When you compare to actual real life shit that matters it really does fade into insignificance.
It does, and it doesn't.

Maybe I'm a @#%&!, but I've genuinely felt worse after certain United losses than I have upon finding out fairly close relatives have died

Unread 18-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadanne
Shitty or Hilbropool
Wtf...

Unread 18-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
It does, and it doesn't.

Maybe I'm a @#%&!, but I've genuinely felt worse after certain United losses than I have upon finding out fairly close relatives have died

Unread 18-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Cream

Quote:
It does, and it doesn't.

Wow.

Unread 18-02-2017, 11:18 PM
sa7

Quote:
Anyone else ever thought that the pain of losing especially to @#%&!s like Shitty or Hilbropool is worth the pain.
Or do the good times compensate.

Sometimes I wish I had never got interested in football,there must be others who cant take the pain.
U ok Hun?

Unread 18-02-2017, 11:20 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
It does, and it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Wtf...
This...

Jesus Grandane

Unread 18-02-2017, 11:25 PM
waynes ear's

Old skool red is grandad. Seen more crushing defeats than us nippers.

Hilbropool though?

Unread 18-02-2017, 11:40 PM
tatty

Cared hugely from being a kid up to about age 25.

Now I can just about rouse myself to watch the really big matches but otherwise couldn't really care. I only come here out of habit and because it's too much like hard work to find other pixilated pals.

It could be called '£#%&!y Tissue' and i'd still be logging on.

Unread 19-02-2017, 12:03 AM
Denis Irwell

The unexpected ones I find worse and the ones that stand out have mainly been in Europe.

The loss to Partizan Belgrade when I was a kid was so unexpected after Best beating one of the very top clubs, Benfica 5-1 at theirs, Eusebio n all. Cried me eyes out. Thought we had name on trophy. Dortmund, Leverkusen, Monaco, Porto.... all painful. 75 cup final and several earlier sf defeats. It's just different than losing a friend or relative but silly as it sounds, similar pain. When the old fella died there was a lot of sadness but the memory of good things, which still endure. The actual dying is often expected after illness but it can of course be a sudden shock. Depends.

Edit: 76 final

Unread 19-02-2017, 01:09 AM
75Red

Defeats bother me more than I'd like them to, but they always have. FA Cup Final in 1976 was my first major defeat as a Utd fan and it still bothers me now.

I find myself in recent years saying I'm done with football - first time I said it was Nani's sending off against Real Madrid.
There's been a few more times since.
Currently I'm convinced that if/when City win the Champions' League that will be me done with it.
But reality is I'm passionate about United and I'm like one of the sad gits in Looking For Eric. I could pretend I don't care and watch FC United instead, but it would be a lie. So I'll never stop supporting them, and defeats will always be hard to take.

Unread 19-02-2017, 01:15 AM
armchair

last couple of seasons draws have upset me more than defeats.

Unread 19-02-2017, 01:20 AM
Billy Redface

I enjoy the wins and actively forget the defeats.

Sometimes I catch myself caring more than I should and I get annoyed. And then I get annoyed at getting annoyed.

Unread 19-02-2017, 01:21 AM
taff

having a football team is good informal therapy, i think. it teaches you very early on in life to accept that things won't always go your way.

Unread 19-02-2017, 01:24 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
having a football team is good informal therapy, i think. it teaches you very early on in life to accept that things won't always go your way.
Absolutely. I remember taking defeat really badly, crying and my Dad trying to comfort me and tell me that it's all part of life.

Ah, to be 22 again.

Unread 19-02-2017, 01:31 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
oh my god
Closed Thread