United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Closed Thread

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Just a reminder that if we do win this thing we will join the illustrious clubs to have completed the European "full set"

Illustrious You mean teams that have at some point been unfortunately shit enough to only qualify for it?

I don't really know of a team that has done all 3 tbh From a quick look.. Real have never been shit enough for the cup winners cup and barca the same for the uefa cup. Has any team won all 3?

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:13 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Illustrious You mean teams that have at some point been unfortunately shit enough to only qualify for it?

I don't really know of a team that has done all 3 tbh From a quick look.. Real have never been shit enough for the cup winners cup and barca the same for the uefa cup. Has any team won all 3?

Ajax, Bayern, Juventus & Chelsea.

Before the European Cup became the Champions League gravy train there was much less of a downer on the other European trophies.

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:15 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7

Before the European Cup became the Champions League gravy train there was much less of a downer on the other European trophies.
Sizlack can't wait for us to face Southampton in the League Cup Final but thinks the UEFA cup is a waste of time.

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7

Of course, ill never forget that night in Rotterdam it felt like the greatest thing in the world

Oh sit down, oh sit down sit down next to meee....

last years uefa cup final was quite enjoyable too tbf (after switching it off in a moody at half time)

Iam sure Barca and real are dying to qualify so they can join that illustrious set

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Sizlack can't wait for us to face Southampton in the League Cup Final but thinks the UEFA cup is a waste of time.

Not really bothered about that either tbh. Who won it last year? The year before? No one remembers nor cares. I say this now as that's how I feel but once the lads get on the pitch I still want them to win obviously but I haven't got any tickle in my belly like I do on BIG GAMES.

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Of course, ill never forget that night in Rotterdam it felt like the greatest thing in the world

Oh sit down, oh sit down sit down next to meee....

last years uefa cup final was quite enjoyable too tbf (after switching it off in a moody at half time)

Iam sure Barca and real are dying to qualify so they can join that illustrious set

Not really bothered about that either tbh. Who won it last year? The year before? No one remembers nor cares. I say this now as that's how I feel but once the lads get on the pitch I still want them to win obviously but I haven't got any tickle in my belly like I do on BIG GAMES.
I think Sevilla won it about 3 times on the trot?

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:50 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
He said the Efl cup (it was city I've just checked ) and we only know the uefa winners because of sevilla's record in the comp

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:50 PM
woody78

Quote:
Don't think they play in the league cup pal

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
He said the Efl cup (it was city I've just checked ) and we only know the uefa winners because of sevilla's record in the comp
apologies, mis read it. I figured because it was in the match thread it was to do with the uefa cup

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Sizlack

Quote:

I can't be alone in thinking this can I? I don't think it's being elitist to say the uefa cup is shit. 16 teams in Europe are officially not shit enough to enter it ffs

woody78

Quote:
Exactly, all this kerfuffle messing effort to proudly proclaim (if we win it) we are probably the 17th best team in Europe

The champions league place gives it a little more oomph but from the way Jose was talking yesterday these are games we don't need. £#%&! it off and lets get top 4 ffs.
What's the point? We'll end up playing games in midweek again. We could do without that

Sparky***

In answer to the question..

2012 Liverpool
2013 Swansea
2014 City
2015 Chelsea
2016 City

Unread 16-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Ethers

Quote:

"Shit enough for the cup winners cup"

You do know how it worked, yeah?

Unread 16-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Chris Quayd

We've won 4 European trophies in 60 odd years yet people are turning their nose up, classic Fred. Complete the set, give most of the squad their first piece of European silver and narrow the gap with Liverpool.

Unread 16-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
"Shit enough for the cup winners cup"

You do know how it worked, yeah?

Ok, teams not good enough to enter the actual European cup. The also-rans.

Cant believe it so controversial tbh, we've never won the LGV or the Simod cup (because we've never for filled the criteria of being shit enough to enter )

I can understand the lads with disposable incomes that actually go being right into it, its a lovely holiday for them but in the great scheme of things Meh..

If any of you are telling me you get the same fizz from this competition as the prem or European cup your lying.

Unread 16-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

I can't be alone in thinking this can I? I don't think it's being elitist to say the uefa cup is shit. 16 teams in Europe are officially not shit enough to enter it ffs
United have won 2 trophies in the last 6 years mate. I don't think we're in any position to be picking and choosing which ones we deem worthy of winning.

Manchester United is about winning things, not getting giddy about the possible chance of finishing 3rd or 4th behind Chelsea. Winning trophies is a £#%&!ing good habit.

Personally I think it's a bit of a @#%&! that Chelsea have won more than United over the last 10 years and City have won more than United in the last 5 years. That's something that doesn't sit well with me and shouldn't sit well with all United fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
We've won 4 European trophies in 60 odd years yet people are turning their nose up, classic Fred. Complete the set, give most of the squad their first piece of European silver and narrow the gap with Liverpool.
Well said, Chris.

Unread 16-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Ok, teams not good enough to enter the actual European cup. The also-rans.

Cant believe it so controversial tbh, we've never won the LGV or the Simod cup (because we've never for filled the criteria of being shit enough to enter )

I can understand the lads with disposable incomes that actually go being right into it, its a lovely holiday for them but in the great scheme of things Meh..

If any of you are telling me you get the same fizz from this competition as the prem or European cup your lying.
Can't be arsed reading all that, but the Cup Winners Cup was for teams who won their domestic cup. What's that got to do with being shit or not good enough for the European Cup?

Unread 16-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
wrong thread
don't care lol x

Unread 16-02-2017, 03:58 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
really? the european cup has always been the only one worth winning.

I'd like united to win something, but, if you spread yourself too thin, you will fail on all fronts with a knackered squad. this ridiculous thursday night competition can £#%&! off.

I'd like us to finish in the top four because it might help improve the squad. we have £#%&! all chance of lifting the european cup any time soon. I don't think bayern would have put five past bailly and de gea, though. probs because we'd have gone out in the group stage to a dutch team.

Unread 16-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Announce?

Unread 16-02-2017, 04:00 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Just a reminder that if we do win this thing we will join the illustrious clubs to have completed the European "full set"

Saw 2 of them. Wasn't born for one
Closed Thread