United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Blagger

Football Smalling

Stop playing him as a full back. That's all.

Unread 17-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Sparky***

You do know you're dealing with Sir Frogson of Tombola. Centre backs at right back, wingers in central midfield and strikers on the wing. He just can't help himself with his frankenstein team line-ups.

"What's that? We haven't got another game for 2 weeks? Well fetch the tombola and we'll see what she churns out!"

Unread 17-03-2013, 11:42 PM
aardvark

I hate to see him there too. Looking forward to him and jones forging a partnership for years at the back

Unread 17-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Blagger

Normally I get the whole blooding youngsters in their non-preferred positions thing, but he looks so out of place there. Only gonna affect his confidence, you could see him shying away as the game progressed yesterday ffs.

Unread 17-03-2013, 11:51 PM
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blagger
Normally I get the whole blooding youngsters in their non-preferred positions thing, but he looks so out of place there. Only gonna affect his confidence, you could see him shying away as the game progressed yesterday ffs.
could've played two sticks at full back yesterday would've still got the clean sheet

Unread 17-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

Good experience for him. It's also why Fergie has played Jones in midfield and Welbeck on the wing regularly.

He's always done this with lots of young players. It's a great way for them to get match time and learn another position, which ultimately enhances their ability and understanding of the game.

£#%&!wits on the internet obviously know more than the greatest manager of all time though. 'Tombola, drunk Scotch @#%&! etc. etc'.

Unread 17-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Good experience for him. It's also why Fergie has played Jones in midfield and Welbeck on the wing regularly.

He's always done this with lots of young players. It's a great way for them to get match time and learn another position, which ultimately enhances their ability and understanding of the game.

£#%&!wits on the internet obviously know more than the greatest manager of all time though. 'Tombola, drunk Scotch @#%&! etc. etc'.
You silly little boy.

Unread 18-03-2013, 12:38 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

I get what you are saying and it has worked to an extent in the past, but couldn't he just do that on the training pitch?

Unread 18-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Neo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I get what you are saying and it has worked to an extent in the past, but couldn't he just do that on the training pitch?
Agreed. Training sessions are definitely the same thing as matches.

Someone should definitely put this suggestion to him; we're missing a trick here.

Unread 18-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

So he picked Jones in midfield against Spurs and Real Madrid away to get match time did he?

Nope, he did it because he hasn't signed a defensive midfielder and felt he needed one, and Jones was the next best thing.

Smalling gets played at full back when he's worried about Rafael getting out jumped/out-muscled, or as in the case of the Reading game, to give Rafael a rest.

Unread 18-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
So he picked Jones in midfield against Spurs and Real Madrid away to get match time did he?

Nope, he did it because he hasn't signed a defensive midfielder and felt he needed one, and Jones was the next best thing.

Smalling gets played at full back when he's worried about Rafael getting out jumped/out-muscled.
Jones was used in midfield during the very start of his United career to help him get experience.

He has been used there this season (notably at White Hart Lane and the Bernabeu) because he's very good at breaking up play/man-marking. The doubling up that him and Rafael did on both Bale and Ronaldo worked perfectly.

We've got a defensive midfielder already you know-nothing £#%&!stick. His name is Michael Carrick and he's the best in the country. He's also the same guy that clueless buffoons like yourself spend all their energy bitching about. Alan knows better than Fergie though.

Unread 18-03-2013, 12:50 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Agreed. Training sessions are definitely the same thing as matches.

Someone should definitely put this suggestion to him; we're missing a trick here.
never said they were. good straw man.

said training matches could achieve some the objectives you set out above (learn about more positions and enhance knowledge of game)

Unread 18-03-2013, 12:52 AM
aardvark

Quote:

Smalling gets played at full back when he's worried about Rafael getting out jumped/out-muscled, or as in the case of the Reading game, to give Rafael a rest.
are you saying jones didn't do his job against those two..and spurs? he man marked fellaini, bale, ronaldo. did a good job too imho.

Unread 18-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Jones was used in midfield during the very start of his United career to help him get experience.

He has been used there this season (notably at White Hart Lane and the Bernabeu) because he's very good at breaking up play/man-marking. The doubling up that him and Rafael did on both Bale and Ronaldo worked perfectly.

We've got a defensive midfielder already you know-nothing £#%&!stick. His name is Michael Carrick and he's the best in the country. He's also the same guy that clueless buffoons like yourself spend all their energy bitching about. Alan knows better than Fergie though.
But you were telling us a minute ago that he gets played there to get game time. But now it's for a tactical reason. Thanks for that, I'd never have noticed it myself.

I reckon you should be encouraging armchair to close this place. These @#%&!s who have their own opinion on things, £#%&!ing hell, we can't have that.

Unread 18-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark
are you saying jones didn't do his job against those two..and spurs? he man marked fellaini, bale, ronaldo. did a good job too imho.
It's pretty obvious I've said nothing of the sort.

Unread 18-03-2013, 01:06 AM
aardvark

Quote:
It's pretty obvious I've said nothing of the sort.
you're a joke. you'd prefer to say saf picked him out of a tombola than admit it was proper management. didn't he play Ronny Johnsen in midfield when we had the best midfield in the world? just because you are too stupid to understand something doesn't mean it's wrong.

Unread 18-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Luffy

Smalling had a stint where he looked great at RB, fast, decent in air, gets forward well and gets crosses in. His technique on the ball at one point was the best of our CBs.

He's been injured a lot so obviously isn't looking so good right now. Confidence and fitness will be lacking, will be trying to avoid another injury as well.

I'm ok with him as RB as rafa back up as he doesn't deserve to displace any of the other CBs right now.

Unread 18-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Weekend Hussler

Imagine how good a player Roy Keane would have been if Wobbly Alex hadn't have wasted his early United career playing him at Right Back.

and the @#%&! Ince for that matter!

Unread 18-03-2013, 06:38 AM
utd99

Quote:

I reckon you should be encouraging armchair to close this place. These @#%&!s who have their own opinion on things, £#%&!ing hell, we can't have that.
You really are the biggest #@&%! on this forum. All you ever do is £#%&!ing moan and get shit on from a great height. I don't know about Armchair closing the place, but I'd definitely encourage you to know when enough is enough.

'Alan' ffs

Unread 18-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Mr Castro

Look, Fergie likes to experiment with players playing in different positions. Sometimes it works, but this time it hasn't. Just chalk it off as a bad experience. Smalling's crossing is quite poor, he doesn't overlap as he should. He's not a bad centre half, play him there.
Closed Thread