United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Playing physically is one thing, the kind of cynicism that Blackburn have consistently demonstrated under Sparky is another. They regularly step over the line - often without even the pretence of trying to play the ball. Even yesterday, by no means their worst display in this regard, nearly every time we got into a position of numerical superiority or looked like getting behind their midfield they tried to hack us down. It's quite clearly a deliberate tactical ploy and personally I don't like it at all.

Yes, the quality of their play has gradually improved under him, but it's still a largely physical game with a heavy emphasis on getting the ball forward and into the box as soon as possible so that they can contest it aerially or play from second balls. It might be effective, but I really don't think you can call it good football.

So "effective" football and the consistent use of extremely cynical tactics. If we're going to hire someone of that ilk, then why not Mourinho? His teams aren't nearly as objectionable, unless you think a bit of acting is worse than deliberate violent play, and he has a consistent record of top level success.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no way most of you would be defending Hughes or his team as vehemently if he were not a United legend.
We cannot compare Blackburn to Porto and Chelsea. If Hughes had been at Chelsea when Mourinho was there i doubt very much that he would have played such tight, negative football as Jose and i doubt very much he would employ the 'cynical' tactics he has employed at Blackburn with that set of players.

We are beginning to go round in circles a bit, but i think the perfect successor for Fergie would Be Hughes (with Carlos as his number 2) and i will stand by that until i see Hughes employing these 'cynical' tactics at a side with a decent set of players and/or money.

Unread 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
We cannot compare Blackburn to Porto and Chelsea. If Hughes had been at Chelsea when Mourinho was there i doubt very much that he would have played such tight, negative football as Jose and i doubt very much he would employ the 'cynical' tactics he has employed at Blackburn with that set of players.

We are beginning to go round in circles a bit, but i think the perfect successor for Fergie would Be Hughes (with Carlos as his number 2) and i will stand by that until i see Hughes employing these 'cynical' tactics at a side with a decent set of players and/or money.
I make that bit right Mr Shrek

Unread 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quieroz interview from BBC website

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/sear...=av&recipe=all

Unread 12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I think Blackburn are more than just a second ball percentages team of cloggers though serenity. As I said before, they have 3 or 4 players of genuine flair and quality in their side who are all encouraged to express themselves from what I've seen of them.
When I've seen them, I haven't been particularly impressed, to be honest. There's no doubt that the quality in their team has improved a lot since Hughes' early days at the club, in large part down to his excellent performance in the transfer market; however, I don't think the quality of their play has improved commensurately. They're now very effective in an attacking sense, but their style of play is still more functional than fluid.
Quote:
Yes they are cynical and a bit nasty at times. But plenty of teams would say the same about Vidic, Rooney and yes even Scholes don't you think? And I would still say that they are far from the horribleist team to have played at OT this season - Reading take that little tag quite easily so far.
For me, there is a big difference between having players who can be cynical at times and cynical play consistently being a deliberate and significant part of a team's tactical framework.

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Well in all fairness I wouldn't open the curtains if they were pla....... you know the rest. But then I wouldn't for many teams currently competing for Uefa slots around Europe tbh.

I still think they get are hard time of it really. They were completely and utterly out-classed on Sunday. Yet there was only that challenge by Nelson on Ronaldo that I can think of that was especially nasty, and I'd be very disappointed if United were under the cosh like that and none of our players got wired in.

There were a lot of trips and tugs going on because United play so quickly and shift the ball so fast at angles that threaten to take groups of players out of the game in a split second. No team can allow that to continue unchecked for any length of time. I honestly think Blackburn were just second best all over the pitch and they should get credit for not capitulating.

In the past Blackburn have been a horrible nasty spiteful team, in the recent past as well. But I don't see that anything like as much of late and have seen them play some decent bits of football. I agree with Fatboy that if a Hughes team with the type of players we have at United still went out and played like Blackburn I'd be very surprised and disappointed, but I don't think that would happen. He currently has to please Blackburn Rovers and its fans.

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Based on what exactly? This is nothing more than conjecture. You could easily make the same kind of statement for just about any manager who isn't at one of Europe's top clubs. And there are plenty who have established a much greater track record as far as their belief in, and ability to implement, an attractive style of play.

Thus far in his management career, the only predilection Hughes has demonstrated is for what could at best be described as efficient football.

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:19 PM
S/Side.Red

When everyone’s fit, Hughes can play with Tugay and Dunn in midfield, Bentley and Pederson out wide and McCarthy and Santa Cruz in attack. To me, he’s got the tools there to play some decent football. Dunn is a very gifted creative midfielder. In this Blackburn side it seems he’s been reduced to little more than a hacker.

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:36 PM
borsuk

there's been nothing to suggest hughes actually wants to play good football in what he's done so far. the suggestion that he might be a completely different manager if he was at united is just wishful thinking, i'm afraid.

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
My Name is Keith

Not read the entire thread but for me, Sparky's Blackburn are playing some decent stuff and are very impressive given the budget he's got.

From what I saw at the match (often different to tv I accept) and what I've seen of late, they play some decent football - lots of neat passing which threatened to carve us open (and did) a few times yesterday.

They are physical but I didn't come away thinking they were hacking us down. If anything, they reminded me of how United used to play against Arsenal.

No bad thing.

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM
koppas

Quieroz will be the manager next season if we win the Champions League.

FACT

Unread 12-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

This is absolute nonsense imo. The idea that any manager wouldn't cut his cloth according to his means, especially in the hurly burly of the Premiership at a club competing hard for the financial rewards of domestic and European football, seems very strange.

I think the refusal to give Blackburn any credit for playing some decent football is a pity. For instance, Tugay is slow and clumsy in the challenge, but he is hardly just an effective player is he? He actually has amongst the best ranges of passing to his game in the entire league. McCarthy has been superb for them as well. Pederson has shown flashes of brilliance and Bentley is an exciting player whjen he's in the mood. Blackburn's supporters don't appear to me to be on Hughes' back at all. Surely you can see that the TV audience is completely and utterly irrelevant compared to the actual fans of a club like Blackburn?

It's interesting that at Manchester United they give Hughes' Blackburn Rovers credit for playing well and for doing well. And I believe that Hughes would not attempt to inhibit United's attacking football were he to become our manager. That is just conjecture of course, but then it is also conjecture to say that he would inhibit our play. There is no actual evidence to say what he would do given United's squad or the spending power the job would bring him. What we do know is that he has played a big part of his career for United, in front of United fans. That is not to say that I think he should actually get the job, though.
Closed Thread