United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:09 PM
Sparky***

Default Race for the top 4

Big win tonight of us. We still look very tentative, nervous and lacking in confidence at times.

Newcastle are absolutely flying again which doesn't bode well tbh. Absolutely stuffed west ham 5-1

I can't believe they've got us kicking off at 12:30 on saturday ffs.

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:10 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Big win tonight of us. We still look very tentative, nervous and lacking in confidence at times.

Newcastle are absolutely flying again which doesn't bode well tbh. Absolutely stuffed west ham 5-1

I can't believe they've got us kicking off at 12:30 on saturday ffs.
Barcodes are playing well but West Ham gifted them atleast 4 of the goals. When you see it back you’d see how ridiculously easy it was . League 1 defending

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:12 PM
armchair

Unfortunately, beating us seems to have given Newcastle extra belief and confidence. Not sure about their remaining fixtures but they are in the cl spots on merit so far.

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:12 PM
Dr Stranger

Newcastle very much a confidence team. Either can’t score or they’re banging in four and five. On a wave now and just need to keep pace with them. They’ll falter again. They’ve got three away games on the spin too. Brentford and Villa away next. They’ll have a job winning both of them.

Spurs v Brighton at the weekend. Newcastle still to play Spurs. Still lots of points to be dropped by everyone.

Just got to get through this tough spell. Bodes well that we’re right in the middle of our worst run of the season and we’re still 3 points clear of 5th. Get our shit together once we get a functioning midfield and we’ll be fine.

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:13 PM
AK14

Newcastle went through a bit of bad patch not so long ago didn’t they?

Happens to every team so hopefully this is our shitty spell and we kick in after tonight’s win.

Cass and Eriksen back in the team should make a massive difference.

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Cass and Eriksen back in the team should make a massive difference.
And as I've said before, its not just them in but who they would be keeping out.

Brentford are a good side and tonight could easily have been worse for us, win against Everton and I will be cautiously optimistic again.

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:16 PM
suedeshoes

Us and Newcastle will get top 4. Newcastle will make a documentary about it. Basically like winning a trophy for them.

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:29 PM
red in cumbria

Basically we are still in "worry about our own games" territory. The other teams in this will take care of themselves.

Unread 05-04-2023, 10:33 PM
Chris Quayd

Spurs have got Newcastle, Liverpool and us back to back, they are no threat to us and are a Kane injury away from mid-table. We win half our remaining games and we’ll get top 4, it’s done. We need to be smart about rotating for the cups, would be delicious to beat city at Wembley.

Unread 05-04-2023, 11:00 PM
Sparky***

I’ve just seen the goals West Ham gave Newcastle. My god. Why don’t teams throw in goals like that for us?

Unread 05-04-2023, 11:18 PM
atticusgrinch

Beat Everton and we'll get Casemiro back. Eriksen too. Even No Heart Tony might put a run together.

Win the next game and it's done.

Unread 06-04-2023, 12:55 AM
Stickman

Not been much said of Brighton….

If they win on the weekend they’re bang in the mixer too, and we have to go there.

I think we’ll be fine but could either make it very academic or a total slog. Didn’t fancy us tonight so delighted with the points and if we can put Everton away (another slog) Saturday then The Geordies have Brentford away afterwards.

The fact we’ve just beaten Brentford might help us out there.

Unread 06-04-2023, 08:04 AM
puressence

Quote:
I’ve just seen the goals West Ham gave Newcastle. My god. Why don’t teams throw in goals like that for us?
saw them after our game .. jamie redknapp making newcastle out to be prime barca 2009 -11 ffs literally 4 goals handed to em truly unbelievable . think spurs will fall off they have tricky games still we both have a game in hand over spurs . still think we will get 3rd . newcastle away to brentford and villa next games then spurs home , and like people have said if martial can stay fit and casemiro and eriksen back . We should be fine

Unread 06-04-2023, 09:14 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Us and Newcastle will get top 4. Newcastle will make a documentary about it. Basically like winning a trophy for them.
It will be a great achievement to be fair.

It's not like they spent a shit load of money either. They're building the right way.

Fair play.

(The lap of honour after the win against us was a bit cringe, though).

Unread 06-04-2023, 09:30 AM
marlo

Quote:
because we've been playing a striker can't run and who has scored 2 league goals in nearly 40 appearances.

Unread 06-04-2023, 09:32 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles

It's not like they spent a shit load of money either. They're building the right way.

Fair play.

Unread 06-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Marvel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
because we've been playing a striker can't run and who has scored 2 league goals in nearly 40 appearances.
might want to check them numbers.

Unread 06-04-2023, 09:57 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Not been much said of Brighton….

If they win on the weekend they’re bang in the mixer too, and we have to go there.

I think we’ll be fine but could either make it very academic or a total slog. Didn’t fancy us tonight so delighted with the points and if we can put Everton away (another slog) Saturday then The Geordies have Brentford away afterwards.

The fact we’ve just beaten Brentford might help us out there.
Newcastle then go to Villa. Three aways on the spin and they’d be looking at six wins in a row to keep ahead of us. Big ask. And they’ve still to play spurs.

Brighton doing well, but don’t see them being seriously involved. They were a last minute penalty away from losing at home to Brentford at the weekend.

As ever, it’s about how we do. Do the basics on Saturday like we did last night, get some much needed midfield quality back and we should be good.

It’s encouraging that this our worst run of the season and we’re still 3 clear of 5th.

Unread 06-04-2023, 10:16 AM
Seamus

they have to play arsenal and chelsea as well. We will piss top 4

Unread 06-04-2023, 10:18 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles

Fair play.

£255m net in 3 windows - 2nd highest in the league only behind the ridiculousness that is Chelsea.

About £59m more than we've spent - but when you look at Brighton in comparison I think we can see who is doing the best in regards to how to manage player sales etc right now...

20. Brighton – £69.16million (profit)
19. Manchester City – £42.84million (profit)
18. Leicester City – £30.58million (profit)
17. Everton – £9.05million (profit)
16. Leeds United – £37.7million
15. Brentford – £43.09million
14. Fulham – £43.86million
13. Crystal Palace – £47.79million
12. Aston Villa – £68.22million
11. Bournemouth – £81.09million
10. Liverpool – £88.04million
9. Wolves – £107.45million
8. Southampton – £121.93million
7. Arsenal – £151.88million
6. West Ham – £154.17million