United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Stickman

Default Teddy Sheringham

Following on from the Neil Webb thread yesterday - I was going to post this but thought Id hold off a day after having my chips pissed on.

What was everyones overall opinion of the signing?

He had huge shoes to fill coming in after Eric's retirement and I have to admit at 3.5M I thought he was a snip. Hugeley underwhelmed with how his first season went especially the first few months, im sure he missed his first 3 pens for us or something, remember he stuck one wide in europe during the groups at OT and thinking FFS not again! His quality was obvious but he was anonymous far too often for my liking in the bigger matches. (Juve 3-2 aside)

His career seemed to be the complete opposite of Yorke's with us as he started slow but left on a massive high (top league scorer etc) and I remember alot of people saying we should have held on 1 more season, I however agreed with the gaffer on that one and thought it was the right time to go at 34 and with the impending arrival of Ruud and Veron, couldnt see much games for him especially with Cole and Scholes still to play a vital part.

99 in the run in he was priceless and he was always seen as an intelligent player but I also seem to recall he was fairly unpopular with the players, Keane and Cole certainly didnt seem to be fans. I also recall hearing he made a RI (in the mag) all time worst Utd 11 or squad at one point surely thats hugely controversial...

I loved when he went back to Spurs and raised 3 imaginery trophies at Highbury one after the other in response to their 'he went to man United and he won £#%&! all' shout.

Anyway - what did you think of Edward?

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Mr_Ed

Default Re: Teddy Sheringham

Generally thought he did well for us... I was in K that night he taunted the Arsenal fans with his 3 trophy salute and he scored some very important goals.

He's got nothing but respect for the Wiz and the club.

Don't think Royston approved of his turning up to training on day 1 in his Ferrari tho

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Generally thought he did well for us... I was in K that night he taunted the Arsenal fans with his 3 trophy salute and he scored some very important goals.
which match was it?

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
which match was it?
1-1 at OT just after we got back from Brazil... Jan 2000 I think. He was warming up on the touchline during the game and they gave him loads so he got down on one knee and pretended to lift up 3 trophies.

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Chorlton74

driving up and down deansgate all day in said ferrari didn't go down too well either.

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Stickman

Quote:
1-1 at OT just after we got back from Brazil... Jan 2000 I think. He was warming up on the touchline during the game and they gave him loads so he got down on one knee and pretended to lift up 3 trophies.
He came on and grabbed the equaliser in that too didnt he?

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
He came on and grabbed the equaliser in that too didnt he?
Yup - but missed a sitter late on.

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Zorg

Honestly, I slated him in his first season. Nothing to do with Eric, I just thought he was only good enough for the likes of Spurs. But he was brilliant after that, a superb player.

I heard somewhere that he never really liked United's fans after that RI thing, which wasn't really fair since it was just one person's opinion.

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Honestly, I slated him in his first season. Nothing to do with Eric, I just thought he was only good enough for the likes of Spurs. But he was brilliant after that, a superb player.

I heard somewhere that he never really liked United's fans after that RI thing, which wasn't really fair since it was just one person's opinion.
Which RI thing specifically?

Unread 30-03-2010, 12:46 AM
KickAssMoves

i hated him, just hated him.
Yes he scored important goals, yes he did well for us, but i hated him.
the moment he didnt let Barthez take that Peno, what a @#%&!.

Unread 30-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Which RI thing specifically?
Included in someone's worst-ever team or something. He didn't understand that magazines don't necessarily share all of their readers' opinions.

Unread 30-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Glitter

I loved him.

Liked him before he came to us, loved him massively when he was with us and now he's playing non league I'd £#%&!ing love it love it if he came to FC. (Even as opposition).

Unread 30-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Albert Tatlock

Top Red Teddy.

Wonderful servant for the club.

Unread 30-03-2010, 07:59 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

I was against it, I stated in work at the time that he was going to be a terrible signing as he was washed up, over the hill and had no pace. A fellow red told me I was talking shite and that he was going to be a great signing and had bags of pace. We were both wrong.

Unread 30-03-2010, 08:10 AM
PaulParkers

A cracking footballer and played a vital role in our most successful season in our illustrius history and for that I will be forever grateful.

He got a lot of stick from United fans basically on account of the fact he was a #@&%!ernee @#%&! but I can't see how you can question his talent or impact on the side.

Never warmed to him fully though for whatever reason.

Unread 30-03-2010, 08:54 AM
BulgarianSpectator

Never seen anyother player always find so much space, no matter where he was on the pitch. Linked up play brilliantly, knew when to play a quick pass or hold on to it.

Unread 30-03-2010, 09:03 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Top red, remember a great 60 yard ball he played to Cole when we beat Lyon (?) 1-0 at OT

Unread 30-03-2010, 09:22 AM
carlosartorial

I thought he was a complete @#%&!.

Unread 30-03-2010, 09:30 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I thought he was a complete @#%&!.
but a clever player nonetheless

Unread 30-03-2010, 09:38 AM