United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Cream

Exclamation Mourinho issues May deadline.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-jose-mourinho

Quote:
Manchester United have until the start of May to make a formal move for José Mourinho should they want him to replace Louis van Gaal, as the Portuguese is intent on securing his next managerial position by then.

Ed Woodward, the United executive vice-chairman, has so far ignored Mourinho’s availability and refused to sack Van Gaal. This is partly a show of support to the Dutchman by Woodward and the Glazer family, who own United, but it also suggests the executive is undecided regarding Mourinho’s candidacy.

The former Chelsea manager continues to listen to job offers but has so far refused these as he would seriously consider taking over at United. Because of the continued backing of Van Gaal by the club, Mourinho has been careful not to push himself forward for the United position, and has been content to wait.

The Premier League’s unpredictability means United appear likely to take their challenge to finish in the top four until the end of the season in mid-May. If so Van Gaal is likely to remain as manager until then, even if Woodward decides he wants a change for next term.

Yet by that juncture Mourinho would hope to have had a clear approach from United. In that event a pre-contract agreement may be signed before any Van Gaal departure.

Unread 31-03-2016, 10:54 PM
Sparky***

He signed a pre-contract agreement last week apparently and has been choosing players.

The papers haven't got a clue what's going on.

Unread 31-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Ashley's Grime

Nor has Woodward.

Unread 31-03-2016, 11:04 PM
BarryX

Football

Unread 31-03-2016, 11:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
Nor has Woodward.
Ain't that the £#%&!ing truth.

Put simply - if we pass up the opportunity again to get Mourinho in then the club really are on a path of self-destruction for the forseeable.

Unread 31-03-2016, 11:16 PM
rebelcountyred

Atletico Madrid looking for new director of football, current one Andrea's bartra is joining us apparently, would almost confirm mourihno if true.

Unread 31-03-2016, 11:56 PM
ScarFace

he is ours

Unread 01-04-2016, 12:00 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Ain't that the £#%&!ing truth.

Put simply - if we pass up the opportunity again to get Mourinho in then the club really are on a path of self-destruction for the forseeable.

£#%&!'s sake, pal. I know you love him but there's life outside Mourinho. Ask Barca, Bayern, Juve etc. They do okay without him.

This is %@#$&!s. Mourinho won't be getting twitchy about not receiving a formal approach in mid-season. United have a manager under contract who clearly won't be leaving before May. United aren't briefing denying interest are they? He'll sit tight and wait.

Unread 01-04-2016, 12:03 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

£#%&!'s sake, pal. I know you love him but there's life outside Mourinho. Ask Barca, Bayern, Juve etc. They do okay without him.

This is %@#$&!s. Mourinho won't be getting twitchy about not receiving a formal approach in mid-season. United have a manager under contract who clearly won't be leaving before May. United aren't briefing denying interest are they? He'll sit tight and wait.
Yeah teams that are vastly superior to every other team in their league every season regardless of what manager they have are great examples tbf.

Unread 01-04-2016, 12:11 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yeah teams that are vastly superior to every other team in their league every season regardless of what manager they have are great examples tbf.
Alright then, every team we play next season in England won't have Mourinho in charge, either.

I find the idea that United disliked Mourinho so much they hired David Moyes ahead of him, but now after a brief attempt at long-term building, would run back to him with their hands out and go in a totally different direction, far more terrifying.

LvG being replaced by a Pochettino at least would indicate some kind of continuity in idea. Mourinho seems pure panic stations.

Unread 01-04-2016, 12:41 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
It didn't look that predictable against Arsenal and City. In fact it's looking like Martial and Rashford could end up being almost impossible to predict. Besides, the line about the football being terrible is a little dated. We've been no worse than most since the turn of the year.

Plus the young players will be benefiting massively from the coaching they're getting. Martial's words sounded about right. No surprise those willing to learn have fared so much better than those stuck in their ways who believe their own hype. Trust in the training, the football and in the young players should continue with or without Van Gaal. Even if he can't see it through, his vision will be spot on.
If Rooney & Wilson were fit then nobody would ever have heard of Rashford. Please don't try and pass off Van Gaal dipping into the youth team out of sheer desperation as some sort of masterstroke of management.

So what you're basically saying is that unless they're teenagers, Van Gaal can't get a tune out of them? Righty.

Unread 01-04-2016, 12:42 AM
naes_sean

Unread 01-04-2016, 12:52 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
If Rooney & Wilson were fit then nobody would ever have heard of Rashford. Please don't try and pass off Van Gaal dipping into the youth team out of sheer desperation as some sort of masterstroke of management.

So what you're basically saying is that unless they're teenagers, Van Gaal can't get a tune out of them? Righty.
Please don't pretend that he hasn't spent his career giving young players their chance.

No, I'm saying much like Guardiola (and Mourinho) he has specific demands and some players will be resistant to his style. As Mourinho found during his recent spell at Chelsea when half the squad hated his methods etc. LvG has done fantastically well with the young players, plus the likes of Blind and Smalling. He's started something; hopefully the club continue with it.

Unread 01-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Please don't pretend that he hasn't spent his career giving young players their chance.

No, I'm saying much like Guardiola (and Mourinho) he has specific demands and some players will be resistant to his style. As Mourinho found during his recent spell at Chelsea when half the squad hated his methods etc. LvG has done fantastically well with the young players, plus the likes of Blind and Smalling.
I'm not, but please don't talk like he's benched a load of established stars in favour of starting 18 year old kids from the youth team, especially when he starts Fellaini every chance he gets.

Fantastically well? That's a huge over statement. I'd say he's done ok. I'm more concerned that Martial & maybe Blind aside, every single one of his signings up until this point has been either dreadful or hugely disappointing. (I don't include Shaw and Herrera in that either)

Unread 01-04-2016, 06:12 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

Thought for a second he was wanting David to hurry up.

Unread 01-04-2016, 06:27 AM
barca99

He wont come to united.
Its the best and most obvious and easiest and most straight forward solution that would have the best outcome and is easily done and very straight forward. So it wont happen.

Unread 01-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
Thought for a second he was wanting David to hurry up.
It's Jamie Jackson - so anything is possible.

Chances are he's mistranslated a Portuguese exclusive where Jose has drawn a chalk line outside his property, if David crosses it - he gets electrocuted. Desperate measures for sure, but what else can stop the super stalker??

Unread 01-04-2016, 06:55 AM
dunk

Can't believe sparky is having another 'I want Mourinho, he's the bestest ever..' Tantrum

Unread 01-04-2016, 07:02 AM
denis lawless

Tbh...im still gobsmacked he didn't arrive before boxing day

Unread 01-04-2016, 12:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I'm not, but please don't talk like he's benched a load of established stars in favour of starting 18 year old kids from the youth team, especially when he starts Fellaini every chance he gets.

Fantastically well? That's a huge over statement. I'd say he's done ok. I'm more concerned that Martial & maybe Blind aside, every single one of his signings up until this point has been either dreadful or hugely disappointing. (I don't include Shaw and Herrera in that either)
Tbf we don't have many established stars

But it's common to hear LvG criticised for playing young players. Scholes said he left Varela in too long ahead of experienced players such as Valencia and Darmian. On derby day Carragher claimed Rashford had stayed in a game or so too much. Of course Rashford's selection has been costly for a much more established player in Memphis.

There were similar criticisms back in December when Borthwick Jackson (and Varela) were first being played at full back while Ashley Young was available. Carrick had a great game against Arsenal at Old Trafford, but it didn't stop LvG giving him the night off against Watford so Mensah could get a debut in the heart of defence.

Nobody is saying the injuries aren't part of it, but we have a manager who is actively looking for opportunities to give youngsters a chance. And will leave often them in if they do well.
Closed Thread