Default England fans not trusted to respect Busby Babes tribute

What do you reckon to this?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...241430,00.html

Quote:
England fans not trusted to respect Busby Babes tribute

Daniel Taylor
Wednesday January 16, 2008
The Guardian

Fabio Capello's first match as England manager will not be preceded by a minute's silence for the Munich air disaster after the Football Association reluctantly came to the conclusion that supporters could not be trusted to show respect.

The FA is so concerned about the possibility of fans disrupting a tribute for Manchester United's Busby Babes it has taken a "better safe than sorry" policy for the friendly against Switzerland on February 6. The game falls on the 50th anniversary of one of the worst sporting disasters of all time, when a plane carrying Sir Matt Busby's team crashed in Munich, killing 23 of the 44 passengers, including eight members of the team, after refuelling on the way back from a European Cup game against Red Star Belgrade.

United have arranged a series of events to mark the anniversary, culminating in the team wearing a specially designed 1950s kit, free of sponsors' logos, when they play Manchester City at Old Trafford on February 10. The game will be preceded by a minute's silence and City have sent a letter, signed by the manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson, and the captain, Richard Dunne, to the 3,000 ticket-holders pleading with them to honour the commemorations and "uphold the club's good name".

Senior figures at the FA, however, have decided it is too great a risk after liaising with officials from Old Trafford about the best way to mark the occasion at a sell-out Wembley. The feeling is that the anniversary should not go unmarked but the FA is also acutely aware of the enmity that exists towards United at England matches. It has been a long time since chants of "Stand up if you hate Man U" regularly went round Wembley but the FA knows from bitter experience that it needs only a few supporters to debase the evening.

Pictures of the Busby Babes will be shown on the large screens at Wembley and the team will wear black armbands but the tribute will be kept low-key and there are no plans to follow the modern trend of having a minute's applause - yet again because of the possibility that some supporters might try to ruin it. The decision will disappoint many United followers, although the position at Old Trafford is that they understand the FA's thinking, however disappointing it is.

You've read the piece, now have your say. Email your comments to [email protected].
I think it's piss poor, to see that our own Football Association knows that the England fans attending the friendly on the 50th anniversary of Munich can't be decent enough to show any respect.

Unread 16-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Spiffy

I think that they should do it anyway, it's the least we can expect and if it shows the whole world what the English fans are like and what the English FA will tolerate then so be it.

Absolutely disgraceful, at least the FA didn't lie about the reasons.

Unread 16-01-2008, 10:57 AM
mark o

Better to keep it dignified that to have a minutes silence that you know will not be observed. Yes it's a sorry state when the FA have to take this action, but I'd rather them be honest about it (as they have) and take action than see it jeered through.

Unread 16-01-2008, 11:02 AM
redwhiteandblack

Saw this post on another forum.

Well, the FA can £#%&! right off. The actual disaster can partly be blamed on them and the @#%&!s running the Football League. If it wasn't for their refusal to move certain League games in order to accommodate our European fixtures (out of bitterness that Sir Matt went against their wishes), maybe the team wouldn't have risked taking off in such atrocious weather.

And lets not forget the FA/FL not allowing Manchester United to accept UEFA's generous invitation to take part in the European Cup the following season

£#%&!ing @#%&!s. £#%&! the FA, their shite team and the £#%&!ing knuckle dragging @#%&!s who follow it!

And

You know why they have a game that day, they have a new Away kit out! That is the only reason.

Unread 16-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Mr_Ed

As sad as it is that the FA have taken the course of action I'm a lot less pissed off about it than I would be if the 'Ingurlanders' jeered and spoiled it...

Unread 16-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblack
Saw this post on another forum.

Well, the FA can £#%&! right off. The actual disaster can partly be blamed on them and the @#%&!s running the Football League. If it wasn't for their refusal to move certain League games in order to accommodate our European fixtures (out of bitterness that Sir Matt went against their wishes), maybe the team wouldn't have risked taking off in such atrocious weather.

And lets not forget the FA/FL not allowing Manchester United to accept UEFA's generous invitation to take part in the European Cup the following season
£#%&!ing @#%&!s. £#%&! the FA, their shite team and the £#%&!ing knuckle dragging @#%&!s who follow it!

And

You know why they have a game that day, they have a new Away kit out! That is the only reason.
And in 69 when they made Charlton play in a needless friendly with Portugal (?) instead of playing against Milan in the semis

Unread 16-01-2008, 11:52 AM
mark o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
As sad as it is that the FA have taken the course of action I'm a lot less pissed off about it than I would be if the 'Ingurlanders' jeered and spoiled it...
That I agree with as I stated above, but this bit "You know why they have a game that day, they have a new Away kit out! That is the only reason." has pissed me off too, this if true should have been arranged on a different date.

Unread 16-01-2008, 12:04 PM
My Name is Keith

Personally, I don't quite see why England fans or the FA should be expected to commemorate a disaster involving United. And I’m not sure I want them to even if they were hell bent on doing so.

It’s a United thing. It’s personal.

I’m probably the wrong person to comment on all this because I’m all for personal and discrete mourning/remembrance rather than the public shows we now come to expect.

£#%&! me, I'm a contrary @#%&! at the moment.

Unread 16-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Whichever braindead dickead at the FA organised this friendly on this date needs shooting. It's not as if they needed any notice, or had any doubts over whether a minutes silence would be respected or not, is it ??

Unread 16-01-2008, 12:13 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Personally, I don't quite see why England fans or the FA should be expected to commemorate a disaster involving United. And I’m not sure I want them to even if they were hell bent on doing so.

I’m probably the wrong person to comment on all this because I’m all for personal and discrete mourning/remembrance rather than the public shows we now come to expect.
Spot on.

Unread 16-01-2008, 12:15 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Insanity
Whichever braindead dickead at the FA organised this friendly on this date needs shooting. It's not as if they needed any notice, or had any doubts over whether a minutes silence would be respected or not, is it ??
Nonsense. Why shouldn't they have a friendly on the 6th Feb? We are not scousers are we ffs?

The date hasn't been retired from the football calendar and nor should it be.

Unread 16-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Ashley's Grime

I'm glad I cheered so heartily for Croatia now.

Unread 16-01-2008, 01:01 PM
1MUFC

There will be trouble after the city game if they don’t keep quiet.

Unread 16-01-2008, 02:02 PM
plopborsky

Quote:

£#%&! me, I'm a contrary @#%&! at the moment.
Keith i agree. I dont see the need to get these @#%&!s to do anything.

Unread 16-01-2008, 02:09 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
There will be trouble after the city game if they don’t keep quiet.
There will be trouble if they do.

There is no way they will be able to help themselves for the full 90 minutes, something WILL happen.

Unread 16-01-2008, 02:10 PM
naes_sean

I don't want these @#%&!s to do anything for us. £#%&! 'em. Saying that, I am disgusted to believe that anyone would disrespect the memories of the busby babes like that.
£#%&!ing typical of the @#%&!s who follow Ingerland. @#%&!s.

Unread 16-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Ashley's Grime

No doubt whenthat @#%&! Barwick forces England to have a minutes silence for Hillsborough the stadium will be silent. Can't be upsetting scousers can we?

Unread 16-01-2008, 02:30 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
I don't want these @#%&!s to do anything for us. £#%&! 'em. Saying that, I am disgusted to believe that anyone would disrespect the memories of the busby babes like that.
£#%&!ing typical of the @#%&!s who follow Ingerland. @#%&!s.
Yes yes but you have to remember that most opposition fans give it the Munich %@#$&!s because it gets us so aerated. They hate united and try and think of any way to antagonise us.

The fact that the chant also disrespects those people that lost their lives and their families is really a very secondary and I would suggest, unintentional consequence.

It’s a sad state of affairs but not one to get too wound up about. Don’t get me wrong, it used to wind me up but not anymore I have to say.

The problem that I now have is that I get wound up thinking that they (the opposition fans) think I’m getting wound up over it.

Try working that one out.

Unread 16-01-2008, 02:43 PM
no fun

Quote:
. And thinking back, I probably used it as an excuse to hit some unsuspecting blue.

I hope he was ok for school on monday

Unread 16-01-2008, 02:45 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
No doubt whenthat @#%&! Barwick forces England to have a minutes silence for Hillsborough the stadium will be silent. Can't be upsetting scousers can we?
give it a rest will you. you sound like a scouser.
Closed Thread