United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Luffy

Default Nani

people giving him the rough end of the stick imo.

I've seen posts describing him as shit, #@&%!y, lazy, playing like a #@&%!head who thinks he's already made it and so on and so on.

I beg to differ, I'd say its the exact opposite of that. His performances smack of a player who is under too much pressure and is rather insecure. He certainly doesn't play with the freedom of a Ronaldo or young Ryan Giggs, and he obviously lacks Giggs' maturity which is understandable. Even Evra plays with a lot more freedom in his game, running at players, attempting things, enjoying his football without a worry.

Nani on the other hand suffers from being compared to 3 of the best wingers the world has seen in the past 20 years, Giggs, Becks and Ronaldo. It seems like he plays with too much fear and anxiety, too worried about making a mistake, hesitates before attempting something audacious or shying away from that final 10%.

Some of the few times he's got over that mental block he's been fantastic, juggling the ball vs Arsenal, beating a few men and smashing it home, delivering a superb cross.

But the rest of the time he's making the wrong decisions, getting his shots or technique messed up, passing it backwards rather than trying to beat his man.

Sometimes we mistake a wild shot as over-confidence, sometimes its the exact opposite. You believe in your ability but you panic so you hit and hope. You're worried so you hesitate and dont spot the right passes or make the wrong decisions because you're driven by fear/anxiety rather than exhilaration and creativity. and when you're in that state of mind, any mistakes you make get to you and its all downhill from there.

Watching bits of the "Road to Moscow" from last year and some of the stuff he does is great. He's strong, quick, fantastic smasher of the ball, one of our best crossers and he creates quite a few goals for us. Also he tracks back unlike Ronaldo. I hope Fergie can get him playing more ruthlessly, running at fullbacks with confidence, without being afraid of losing the ball and being more aware of his own ability. You almost never see him sprinting with the ball or trying to use tricks to get past someone, but he definitely has it in him.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:34 AM
koppas

He was £#%&!ing shit today.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:35 AM
sullers

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas

End of argument

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Ether

If he was shit today Fergie would have put Park on

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:37 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
If he was shit today Fergie would have put Park on
He was shit though.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Ether

He wasn't though. And Fergie didn't

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:38 AM
naes_sean

Quote:
Quote:
He was shit though.
yup.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Sloane

no worse than tevez

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:44 AM
borsuk

a very long way behind park atm

i'm always keen for any player to succeed but so far he's been very much a youtube player - great moments and the odd good match, but nothing to suggest he is worth a regular starting place. doesn't appear to be improving very much, either.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Lok

Nani was shit today. 9 times out of 10 he's shit. We couldn't bring Park on because O'Shea got injured and Gibson and Wellbeck were even worse.

He's gone from being on the fringe of the first team to a bit of an outcast. Fergie seems to have lost patience with him.

I'm still unsure of the cause of his problems. As already stated a thousand times, he clearly has the talent. For some reason, it's clearly not working. Today he was constantly trying to cut inside and work an angle. Most of the time he got crowded out or ended up passing to someone in a worse position. I'd love to see him running it to the byline and getting a cross in rather than looking to cut inside every time. It'd help the lad if Fergie played him on the right more as Nani doesn't seem to trust his left foot at the moment.

I'll also at the idea of Nani offering the full back cover. He doesn't. Ronaldo (who put in a hell of a shift work wise today) offers more cover. Park is the ideal player because he gives Evra the cover he needs. Whenever Park plays, Evra is twice the player.

Nani's problem is that too often he gives a 5/10 performance. Park on the other hand always plays at 7/10. Nani can't justify a place in the squad at the moment. With Tosic coming in I can't help but think his days are numbered. Shame because he could be very good.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:47 AM
koppas

Should have let him go to Spurs.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:01 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
a very long way behind park atm

i'm always keen for any player to succeed but so far he's been very much a youtube player - great moments and the odd good match, but nothing to suggest he is worth a regular starting place. doesn't appear to be improving very much, either.
averages a goal/assist a start.

not bad for an attacking winger.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:39 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
averages a goal/assist a start. not bad for an attacking winger.
Can you provide stats to back this up please?

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Stubbsy

sell the @#%&!

Unread 02-03-2009, 02:04 AM
Gorilla Monsoon

He's the new fred tish scapegoat. O'Shea, Fletcher, now Nani. Im sure he doesnt give a £#%&! what we think to be honest.

Unread 02-03-2009, 02:13 AM
naes_sean

I'm sure he doesn't give a £#%&! what anyone thinks tbh.

Unread 02-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Tiberian

I think he is a better player on the right, it simplifies his game, can get early crosses in which when on form is a real strength in his game. Always seems to be used on the left though, his goal threat when cutting in makes that a viable option but the rest of his game suffers.

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by scousebasher
Nani was shit today. 9 times out of 10 he's shit
spot on

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:18 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
no worse than tevez
Agree but Carlos is immune to any form of criticism from a high percentage on here.

Nani gets grief even when he performs/scores/assists.

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Whalefish

Thought he had a much better game than Tevez.
Closed Thread