United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Aman27deep

Default Roberto Martínez

‘United’s squad is bigger and better than people are trying to make out.’

‘Who are these United veterans? Rio Ferdinand? How many games has Rio played? Not many and Ryan Giggs hasn't played many, either.

‘You could look at Chelsea and say they are more of an ageing squad. In football, not everything is straightforward — there’s no black and white.

‘An ageing squad if you win becomes an experienced squad with knowhow. If you lose, it becomes the players have no legs. It’s something in between those extremes.

‘You look at Chelsea, title contenders, but squad-wise worse than United.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...medium=twitter

Unread 18-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Mr_Ed

He's bound to say that shit... Chelsea's squad is much better than ours.

Unread 18-04-2014, 10:26 PM
thatsfuctit

He's right largely

Rio is past his peak, Vida too, Giggs is 50 - other than that its a largely young squad, who have won lots of stuff

He's truth bombing the apologists.

Unread 18-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Chelsea's squad is much better than ours.
No it isn't. They haven't even got a single top-class striker, ffs. That's precisely why they won't win the league, too.

United have an excellent squad, spattered with world-class players in various positions and plenty of youth. It's also a squad of Champions.

Moyes (and his sympathisers) talk utter shit when they criticise the squad. Yes, it needs strengthening in midfield and at left-back, but it's still probably the 2nd strongest squad in the league after City. It's certainly strong enough to mount a title challenge, and in no way is it bad enough to be outside the top 4. Martinez is bang on.

Unread 18-04-2014, 10:56 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
No it isn't. They haven't even got a single top-class striker, ffs. That's precisely why they won't win the league, too.

United have an excellent squad, spattered with world-class players in various positions and plenty of youth. It's also a squad of Champions.

Moyes (and his sympathisers) talk utter shit when they criticise the squad. Yes, it needs strengthening in midfield and at left-back, but it's still probably the 2nd strongest squad in the league after City. It's certainly strong enough to mount a title challenge, and in no way is it bad enough to be outside the top 4. Martinez is bang on.
vichy freds as some harsher critics than I have called them.

Moyo:

"Great credit to Roberto but he has a group of players who were always capable of moving up the league. Don’t forget Everton finished above Liverpool last year, and the year before. So it was a great achievement. In a way it should not be a surprise they are doing well. They’ve been in seventh or eighth place for most seasons recently."

Unread 18-04-2014, 10:58 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
It's certainly strong enough to mount a title challenge, and in no way is it bad enough to be outside the top 4. Martinez is bang on.

Unread 18-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
vichy freds as some harsher critics than I have called them.

Moyo:

"Great credit to Roberto but he has a group of players who were always capable of moving up the league. Don’t forget Everton finished above Liverpool last year, and the year before. So it was a great achievement. In a way it should not be a surprise they are doing well. They’ve been in seventh or eighth place for most seasons recently."
Aye, until you pissed off and they miraculously moved up the table

Unread 18-04-2014, 11:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
He's bound to say that shit... Chelsea's squad is much better than ours.
Not really. Their manager is 100 times better though, even half-arsed (as he has mostly been this season)

Unread 18-04-2014, 11:53 PM
ChairmanMao

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
He's right largely

Rio is past his peak, Vida too, Giggs is 50 - other than that its a largely young squad, who have won lots of stuff

He's truth bombing the apologists.
I'm not sure Vidic is done, before this season I would've said central defence was set for the next 8 years, Smalling and Jones were an international defensive partnership in waiting, Evans was more authorative year on year. This season they all look a bit lost and can't hold a line, that's coaching Ferdinand is getting to the end of the line, but if last years coaching staff were still here I bet he wouldn't look as scarily past it as he has at times this year.

Vidic will rebuild his reputation in Italy,in a settled partnership with coaches who know what they're doing.

Martinez is right, in fact if it was Martinez making as much of a @#%&! of the job as Moyes has I guarantee the press wouldn't have let him flog the poor squad angle for as long as Moyes has.

Unread 19-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Drexl

I hope he smashes Moyes into next week

Unread 19-04-2014, 12:21 AM
ZiggyStardust

Bet Moyes is shitting it about Sunday

It's a slight surprise that Martinez has come out as strong as this but I'd imagine he's been pissed off at Moyes comments earlier this season when he played down how well Martinez has done and said that he had left him such a good squad that it could virtually manage itself

Some of the comments this season from Moyes complaining about the squad he inherited and using it as an excuse for this disastrous season have been an absolute disgrace
Fergie should make sure he's £#%&!ed off this summer for those comments alone which basically amounted to Moyes shitting on the man who gave him the job

Unread 19-04-2014, 06:08 AM
S/Side.Red

The difference between the two is so stark. Martinez has been speaking ten seconds before he's talking about how facing the champions is "always exciting" and wanting to do the double over United. No caution whatsoever.

Quote:
"It's not about what we're going to face. We know that we're going to face a very very strong team. It's more about how good we can perform and how good we can be on the day. That's where the focus is."
No fear.

Unread 19-04-2014, 06:16 AM
barrington avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

if i could use english well that's exactly what i would have said!

where this myth of the worst squad ever to win any league came from i just dont know..

Unread 19-04-2014, 06:33 AM
believe

Yes Vidic is finished. that's why he's going playing for Inter Milan

Moyes has only got himself to blame for the position we're currently in.

Unread 19-04-2014, 06:59 AM
ryanMUFC

Said it a year ago and I'll say it now, hed do the job better than a lot of managers. He doesn't seem to have a problem jumping ship either, I remember how eager he was to leave Swansea for Wigan.

Unread 19-04-2014, 07:45 AM
djsst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Said it a year ago and I'll say it now, hed do the job better than a lot of managers. He doesn't seem to have a problem jumping ship either, I remember how eager he was to leave Swansea for Wigan.
And he turned down Liverpool .

Unread 19-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Yes Vidic is finished. that's why he's going playing for Inter Milan

Moyes has only got himself to blame for the position we're currently in.
32 years old, the same as Evra and Carrick. All slightly past their best but hardly the decrepit group that Moyes has painted them as.

Gerrard and Terry are older but both have had excellent seasons because their managers have adjusted their roles and team shape to cover their diminishing physical gifts. Utd lacked pace in the team, especially through the middle, Moyes buys Fellaini and latterly Mata, 2 of the slowest players in their positions in the league. Mata is a super player but Mourinho was happy to let him go because he wants dynamic players in those attacking roles.

Unread 19-04-2014, 02:53 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
32 years old, the same as Evra and Carrick. All slightly past their best but hardly the decrepit group that Moyes has painted them as.

Gerrard and Terry are older but both have had excellent seasons because their managers have adjusted their roles and team shape to cover their diminishing physical gifts. Utd lacked pace in the team, especially through the middle, Moyes buys Fellaini and latterly Mata, 2 of the slowest players in their positions in the league. Mata is a super player but Mourinho was happy to let him go because he wants dynamic players in those attacking roles.
Moyes has failed in every single aspect of his job.
Every fear & concern about his suitability hasn't just been proved correct, it's turned out to be a million times worse.

I didn't see Phil Nev on telly today but from what I've read it's just the usual "we're determined to put it right" crap that we've been hearing since October.

Unread 19-04-2014, 04:37 PM
red in cumbria

I have always rated Martinez, tbh #sage

Unread 19-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Red Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep
‘United’s squad is bigger and better than people are trying to make out.’

‘Who are these United veterans? Rio Ferdinand? How many games has Rio played? Not many and Ryan Giggs hasn't played many, either.

‘You could look at Chelsea and say they are more of an ageing squad. In football, not everything is straightforward — there’s no black and white.

‘An ageing squad if you win becomes an experienced squad with knowhow. If you lose, it becomes the players have no legs. It’s something in between those extremes.

‘You look at Chelsea, title contenders, but squad-wise worse than United.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...medium=twitter
Man speaks the truth
Closed Thread