United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by croberts
and by the way,

spurs have won only 2 of their last 9 games. Those 2 wins????

Cardiff and Southend
didn't know that.

you see, you hear that and think "oh good they're playing shit"

I hear that and think "thats a long run, they'll turn it around against us"

Unread 03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
croberts

[quote=Sparky6899;122930]didn't know that.

you see, you hear that and think "oh good they're playing shit"

I hear that and think "thats a long run, they'll turn it around against us"[/
QUOTE]

I just think if they had as much quality as everyone is saying, they wouldn't have a run like that.

They may very well turn it around against us, but I like our chances

Unread 03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
legendary saf

i know what you mean.

But after losing against West Ham and Arsenal, drawing against Newcastle.

Id say our blip is over.

Unread 03-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Lazarus

I think it could well be a draw tomorrow. If it is,it doesn't mean all is lost.

We need to be thinking about not losing at the Bridge..after that Chelsea have Newcastle and Arsenal as their final two away games.

We just need to think about us now..about not dropping points to the teams at home and avoiding away defeats. If we draw at Chelsea we can afford a few draws.

I certainly don't think it is as simple as assuming we will,by default,win the league and the only thing stopping us is Fergie (the man who has got us in this position) but I agree with Hughesy;we are playing the best stuff in the league and if we put it together on the day,we can beat anyone.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:03 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
we are playing the best stuff in the league and if we put it together on the day,we can beat anyone.
If Rooney plays left wing, it's unlikely we'll "put it together". Not having a go at Fergie, but his caution is contributing to us dropping points we shouldn't

What happened to the man who once shouted at Irwin to "keep playing football".

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Lazarus

Played the best stuff in the league. Won most of our games but everyone chooses to concentrate on one game where we were unfortunate to lose and Rooney,who hadn't scored for eons centrally,scored from the wing.

Listening to some United fans you'd think we've never lost playing 4-4-1-1

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Played the best stuff in the league. Won most of our games but everyone chooses to concentrate on one game where we were unfortunate to lose and Rooney,who hadn't scored for eons centrally,scored from the wing.

The Arsenal match was a sickener, but hardly a surprise, they are a good side. The West Ham and Newcastle matches were the ones that concern me more, caution when we had a real chance to open leads. I fully expected a cautious approach at Arsenal, but is there a need for it outside of the top 4 away grounds?

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Lazarus

Tibs..I can't agree we were cautious against Newcastle at all,we were extremely wasteful.

I'm all for blaming Fergie when he tinkers and £#%&!s up but,for me,I was angry with Park and his dreadful misses at St James, not Fergie.

West Ham just seemed like one of those days. Cautious? maybe...crap? definitely

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Sparky***

evra must play tomorrow because lennon will murder heinze for pace.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Tibs..I can't agree we were cautious against Newcastle at all,we were extremely wasteful.

I'm all for blaming Fergie when he tinkers and £#%&!s up but,for me,I was angry with Park and his dreadful misses at St James not Fergie.

West Ham just seemed like one of those days. Cautious? maybe...crap? definitely
After we scored so early in the second half at Newcastle we did not show any real urgency to get a third, we sat back and invited them on. The annoying thing was that as soon at they equalized we started creating chances again, we were wasteful, Park as you pointed out should have won it for us at the death, but given the form we were in and the defence Newcastle had out we should not have been scrabbling for a winner.

West Ham was one of those days, new manager, fired up side, maybe over analysing, just hope we do not pay for those missed opportunities.

Tomorrow will give us a real indication of the mental strength of the side.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:31 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
I'm not saying that. But we give ourself the best chance of winning by playing 442/4411. Look at how we struggle in Europe against shite sides (benfica, celtic, lille last year). We should play to our strengths whether home or away. Let the opposition worry about us, not the other way round.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Lazarus

Sure..but the fact is that throughout the course of a season a team will drop points...a team will go away and take the lead and sit on it,sometimes the other side will score.

We have to be realistic;we won't win every game and when we don't there will always be reasons and mistakes that appear in hindsight.

If we were dropping points at an unacceptable level then one would rightly need to reconsider our tactics but we've lost three games by a one goal margin and were very unlucky in one of them.

If we were Chelsea we'd be raving about us.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
MUFC One Love

Tomorrow is arguably the biggest game of our season, after Chelsea's pathetic celebrations (Haven't seen them but I've heard) to try and get at us, a win will set them back and it's another difficult away game ticked off.

Win our home games and win 3-4 away games and it's ours.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Lazarus

Default I agree

I think it's important because of what it says about our mentality. We know we have the style and class to win the league..it's how we react to our first big away game after the Arsenal choker.

However,I still think we can draw it and win the league - despite the doom we'll see if we do.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:41 PM
MUFC One Love

Thumbs up

Quote:
I think it's important because of what it says about our mentality. We know we have the style and class to win the league..it's how we react to our first big away game after the Arsenal choker.

However,I still think we can draw it and win the league - despite the doom we'll see if we do.
Agreed.

People are taking time examining our fixtures, presuming Chelsea will win every game, they won't. The way I see it we're coming to the end and both teams will drop points, we have 6 points to play with and a superior goal difference.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Lazarus

Chelsea's last away game is at the Al Queda stadium too!

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Tomorrow is arguably the biggest game of our season, after Chelsea's pathetic celebrations (Haven't seen them but I've heard) to try and get at us,
well you come to expect that now, don't you. any sort of half decent result now and you watch 'the @#%&!ish one' will be off the bench at the final whistle, pumping his fists and high-fiving everyone in sight - can't bear to be out of the limelight for more than 2 seconds.

Unread 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

United wont implode - if chelsea win the league this year it will be thanks to an amazing comeback and amassing an incredible amount of points out from the last third of the season. United might lose one and draw two or three but thats no implosion thats just chelsea again raising the bar and being slightly more consistent winners than us.

I think if united come first or second we should all be proud of the team this year because;

1. The football has been it's best in years
2. We have been very consistent
3. a few players have stepped up to the plate this year

Winning the league for me will always be secondary to playing entertaining football which has been accomplished this year thanks to ferguson finally allowing the team to play the way united should play rather than testing out complicated formations that often left players playing out of position and confused.

We can all rightfully grumble about things that have and are going on behind the scenes but you cant grumble about the team this year - even if they win nothing they have represented MUFC the way we would want them to.

Unread 03-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Sparky***

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
United wont implode - if chelsea win the league this year it will be thanks to an amazing comeback and amassing an incredible amount of points out from the last third of the season. United might lose one and draw two or three but thats no implosion thats just chelsea again raising the bar and being slightly more consistent winners than us.

I think if united come first or second we should all be proud of the team this year because;

1. The football has been it's best in years
2. We have been very consistent
3. a few players have stepped up to the plate this year

Winning the league for me will always be secondary to playing entertaining football which has been accomplished this year thanks to ferguson finally allowing the team to play the way united should play rather than testing out complicated formations that often left players playing out of position and confused.

We can all rightfully grumble about things that have and are going on behind the scenes but you cant grumble about the team this year - even if they win nothing they have represented MUFC the way we would want them to.
This is best post on this thread.

Watching Ronaldo this year has been nothing short of a pleasure.

Unread 03-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Whalefish

Top post Lou.

Oh and if Spurs win tomorrow you can all come round to my gaff and give me a slap.
Closed Thread