United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
borsuk

Default evans, rossi, gibson and simpson - ok

what about pique though? surely has a chance, if he doesn't get too used to sunshine and decent pitches.

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
what about pique though? surely has a chance, if he doesn't get too used to sunshine and decent pitches.
Don't think he's suited to the Premiership although hope to be proved wrong. Excellent passer of the ball.

Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Agree with that, think he'll be sold in the Summer. Simpson just edges him though I think since he has the extra yard of pace. Both tough young lads though, neither will shirk a challenge.

Definitely. Both have planty of character.

Phil is possibly more versatile but your right, pace is becoming more and more important now.

celtbion

Quote:
To me he, Evans and Rossi (I hope) are the only youngsters with any chance of stepping up to the first team. Simpson could possibly have an outside chance.
I think if we got four players of the requisite quality from the youth setup for next season, it would be a serious result. The first three are nailed on and I reckon there'll be some lad come in and surprise us as well. Campbell maybe or Dong?

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Luffy

Quote:
Pique is touch and go. He has great reading of the game, great in the air, godo on the ball, timing etc. But he's slow and has really awful balance.

This leads to him being easily outmanouvered or outpaced and all kinds of potential problems. But then that didnt hold Blanc back too much. I would think he'll be getting a chance when he gets back, Fergie would definately want more of a look at him.

Whalefish you made a post awhile back sounding confident that Rossi was set to be sold in the summer - what was your thinking behind that and sounds like you've changed your tune?

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Whalefish

It was more a case of he may ask to go if he doesn't feature more. I get the impression his agent wants him to stay in Italy and is trying to test the water re a possible move (if a big enough fee is laid on the table).

I hope he doesn't, techincally he's one of the best youngsters we've had at the club. He deserves a chance. Henrik won't be hear next season and Ole will be a year older.

But I've said it before Smith (and possibly even Ole) need to step aside to almost force Fergie into giving him a chance. Sad to say. We need 4 forwards and I hope 1 of them is Rossi next season.

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
No problems with the second part. He's been pretty vocal about wanting to come back to United at the end of the season and try to make his mark.

Agree with Luffy, though, when he says he's a bit slow and immobile. Having said that, they have often played him at right-back or central midfield, neither of which are his proper position. I'm sure if you played Vidic in those positions he'd get beaten quite regularly.

Problem is Zaragoza have a very good central defensive partnership, so he won't get too many games there.

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Luffy

Quote:
It was more a case of he may ask to go if he doesn't feature more. I get the impression his agent wants him to stay in Italy and is trying to test the water re a possible move (if a big enough fee is laid on the table).

I hope he doesn't, techincally he's one of the best youngsters we've had at the club. He deserves a chance. Henrik won't be hear next season and Ole will be a year older.

But I've said it before Smith (and possibly even Ole) need to step aside to almost force Fergie into giving him a chance. Sad to say. We need 4 forwards and I hope 1 of them is Rossi next season.
I think he will be, hence the loans this season despite Fergie half wanting to keep him here. Smith seems to have been all but frozen out. Fergie will talk him round to staying, just hope he gets some good football in in Italy.

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
No problems with the second part. He's been pretty vocal about wanting to come back to United at the end of the season and try to make his mark.

Agree with Luffy, though, when he says he's a bit slow and immobile. Having said that, they have often played him at right-back or central midfield, neither of which are his proper position. I'm sure if you played Vidic in those positions he'd get beaten quite regularly.

Problem is Zaragoza have a very good central defensive partnership, so he won't get too many games there.
nah he's genuinely slow. acceleration, balance, top speed = all pretty crappy. taken from his performances in the reserves where he plays at CB. and you can just kind of tellafter watching him for awhile, he'd be torn to shreds by someone like Owen.

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
S/Side.Red

I don't think he's any slower than Vidic.

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:28 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
I think he will be, hence the loans this season despite Fergie half wanting to keep him here. Smith seems to have been all but frozen out. Fergie will talk him round to staying, just hope he gets some good football in in Italy.
I suppose Evans and Pique would make two good understudies to the pairing of Vidic and Ferdinand (respectively)?

Foster and Simpson complete a very solid looking set of options for the back five.

Would seem to be Silvestre and Heinze most likely to head for the exit door.

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I don't think he's any slower than Vidic.
Pique seems slower then Blanc! Vidic is kinda average, you dont notice any lack of pace. Most slower players make up for it with decent acceleration or balance anyway. It is a serious barrier to Pique making the grade in england. shame cos all his other attributes are potentially world class.

we're talking teddy sheringham/blanc levels of speed. it remains to be seen if he can cover it up as well as they did.
Closed Thread