United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Spiffy

Default SAF to bid £35M for Benzema

No, I don't read The Express. IMHO it's worse than any other paper out there.

Quote:
MANCHESTER UNITED boss Sir Alex Ferguson is planning a late Christmas present for Old Trafford fans with a move for £35million rated Karim Benzema in the January transfer window.

Ferguson lost out to Real Madrid in the summer in the chase for Benzema, 22, whose goal exploits for Lyon were always going to propel the France international onto a bigger stage.

But, despite having collected £80m from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid, the United manager felt that the £35m asking price for Benzema was too steep.

Although they had been involved in regular dialogue with Lyon and made a number of offers, United
stood back while Real Madrid’s ambitious president Florentino Perez paid the asking price to add the striker to his collection of galacticos, which included Ronaldo and AC Milan’s Kaka.

But Benzema has not made the expected impact at the Bernabeu. He has also been warned about his off-field behaviour where he has been guilty of overdoing the party life in Madrid.

Now Ferguson is ready to test Real’s resolve over the striker during the January transfer window.

He will be asking whether they want to cut their losses over the player or even loan him to Old Trafford until the end of the season.

United had been willing to go to £25m over Benzema when they were in discussions with Lyon.

The Premier League champions have also been in discussions with hard-up Valencia over much coveted
hit-man David Villa, valued at around £50m. But Benzema might prove to be the cheaper option.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...chester-United

Unread 20-12-2009, 11:51 AM
borsuk

Default Re: SAF to bid £35M for Benzema

yeah, let's buy them all yee-haw

Unread 20-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Gruber

can he play in defence?

Unread 20-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
yeah, let's buy them all yee-haw
What it doesn't explain is that if SAF thought £35M was too much in the summer, why after a disappointing start at Madrid do they think he'll pay it now?

Unread 20-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
can he play in defence?
Let's hope so.
Quote:
Fergie in Real Madrid war for Jonny Evans
Fergie in Real war for Evans
Steve Bates
Sir Alex Ferguson has been dealt another defensive body-blow with old-boy Cristiano Ronaldo telling Real Madrid - get Jonny Evans.
The Spanish giants are scouring the world for the best young central defenders - and Ronaldo has told his Madrid bosses to look no further than United's Irish star (above).
Ronaldo believes Evans has the talent and stature to make a big career for himself at The Bernabeu and he's not been shy in telling Real's coaches that Evans is a class act.
Advertisement

That news won't thrill Old Trafford chief Ferguson who is currently battling a chronic defensive crisis that undermining United's season - as seen in the 3-0 defeat at Fulham yesterday.
Rio Ferdinand has been out for weeks with back problems, while Gary Neville, John O'Shea, Rafael da Silva and even Evans himself are all struggling with injuries.
It was the emergence of Northern Ireland international Evans, 21, that persuaded Ferguson to allow Spanish youngster Gerard Pique to return to Barcelona 18 months ago.
Fergie won't be happy to discover that one of his own former stars is trying to talk Madrid into a move for Evans.
The Irish star has two years left on his present contract but there's no way Ferguson would allow the up-and-coming defender to join one of United's major Champions League rivals.
http://www.people.co.uk/sport/footba...name_page.html

Unread 20-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
What it doesn't explain is that if SAF thought £35M was too much in the summer, why after a disappointing start at Madrid do they think he'll pay it now?
Probably because of this....

Quote:
He has also been warned about his off-field behaviour where he has been guilty of overdoing the party life in Madrid.

Unread 20-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Luffy

as much as I'd like a big name striker to form some kind of dream partnership with rooney, there just isn't any room, unless he plans to push berbatov or owen out of the way completely. we struggle to give 3 of them games as it is, 4 is out of the question.

4 only works when none of them are talisman players. rooney is undroppable even if he plays like a @#%&!, and we play with only one up front far too often.

Unread 20-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Probably because of this....
But surely the price should come down then? If SAF thought £35M was too much when he wasn't a party animal failing in Madrid, why do they think SAF will increase his valuation of him.

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
But surely the price should come down then? If SAF thought £35M was too much when he wasn't a party animal failing in Madrid, why do they think SAF will increase his valuation of him.
After using up all my sarcasm, I have no other answer.

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:01 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
as much as I'd like a big name striker to form some kind of dream partnership with rooney, there just isn't any room, unless he plans to push berbatov or owen out of the way completely. we struggle to give 3 of them games as it is, 4 is out of the question.

4 only works when none of them are talisman players. rooney is undroppable even if he plays like a @#%&!, and we play with only one up front far too often.
i think if we all think hard we might just be able to come up with a solution.

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:08 PM
red in cumbria

Yup, 4th choice striker sounds about right for Owen these days tbh frank

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:12 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yup, 4th choice striker sounds about right for Owen these days tbh frank
He'd be fine as a 4th choice striker though.

Welbeck or Berbatov would have offered more as a starter yesterday.

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Spiffy

Surely if this happens it won't be Owen making way will it? I just assumed he'd take Berbatov's place.

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Surely if this happens it won't be Owen making way will it? I just assumed he'd take Berbatov's place.
Isn't he an inside left?

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:33 PM
red in cumbria

Shurely we can have three decent forwards, with Owen if we're desperate??

Who knows, some genuine competition might be the kick up the proverbials Berbie needs??

(whereas when he's dropped for MO7 he probably just feels insulted - quite rightly tbh fair)

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:38 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
.......Berbatov would have offered more as a starter yesterday.
and every day.

hey, benni mccarthy would be available for less than benzema.

ben-ben-ben-ben bennimccarthy!

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Spiffy

Smile Re: SAF to bid £35M for Benzema

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Shurely we can have three decent forwards, with Owen if we're desperate??

Who knows, some genuine competition might be the kick up the proverbials Berbie needs??

(whereas when he's dropped for MO7 he probably just feels insulted - quite rightly tbh fair)
Barclays Premier League Top Scorers

Defoe Tottenham 13
Drogba Chelsea 13
Rooney Man Utd 12
Torres Liverpool 11
Bent Sunderland 10
Saha Everton 10
Agbonlahor Aston Villa 8
Cole West Ham 7
Fabregas Arsenal 7
Van Persie Arsenal 7
Adebayor Man City 6
Arshavin Arsenal 6
Bellamy Man City 6
Jones Sunderland 6
Keane Tottenham 6

League goals only. Totals can include goals scored for other teams.

£30M for Berbatov and look at him compared to other strikers. MO was free of charge. I don't think he feels insulted as on current performances he doesn't deserve to be in ahead of him.

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Sparky***

He scored last night in real madrid's 6-0 win.

didn't seem too unhappy to me.

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
He scored last night in real madrid's 6-0 win.

didn't seem too unhappy to me.
I must admit, I think we've got more chance of signing Huntelaar than Benzema. How's he doing in Italy?

Unread 20-12-2009, 12:55 PM
red in cumbria

Oh dear, Sniffer misses the point almost as spectacularly as he does when he talks politics

Apart from his sporadic goals, Owen is utter gash. Hth helps.

Berbatov is a vastly superior FOOTBALLER. Even yesterday, we looked better when he came on (not difficult admittedly)

What did Owen do yesterday to justify his starting, Sniffer? Did he even touch the bloody ball??
Closed Thread