United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 18-12-2023, 08:13 PM
Dr Stranger

Plenty of bindipping #@&%!s were posting this a couple of weeks ago, like it was some iconic image of our time

“ Buzzing with a draw “

Unread 18-12-2023, 09:46 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Ignore vanhaaksbergen mate, he thought Mount was going to be an integral part of the team.
Ned, you’re sweet, but I’d buy your entire life out 100 times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

Ok, you didn’t. Kudos for the prediction. Most did, myself included and Liverpool were rightly heavy favourites for the game; given our form, their form and our last visit there. The fact we managed to shut them out should have brought some credit. Instead it seems to have brought criticism.
Because most observers do not understand the Ten Hag system, and are confounded by how he sets up and how we play.

This is a strong defensive outfit - until the first goal is conceded. In order to maintain that, the team plays in a manner by which goals are extremely hard to come by.

Sunday gets the spotlight because it’s Anfield, but Newcastle at St James’ are extremely free scoring. Averaging 3 goals a game at home in the 5 home games around ours (incl Fulham, Palace, Arsenal who are all fairly solid defensively). Holding them to the one second half goal was fine. Outside that we have a stream of clean sheets away from home. The most clean sheets in the division.

The issue — as it always was — is that when this way of playing becomes endemic irrespective of opposition, which it has, then it does not breed success because the goals dry up.

Ten Hag needs to prove that he can evolve the play so that it is not so reliant upon defensive play. Because unless Simeone or Mourinho is the blue print here, it simply won’t work in the long term.

Onto the next game. West Ham aren’t Liverpool; we’ll see if he has appetite to use the goodwill to evolve.

Unread 18-12-2023, 09:48 PM
Zorg

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:37 PM
tatty

If 94 or 99 United had gone to Anfield and set-up like that it would have been shameful.

But we are nothing like those sides and it was up to Liverpool as huge favourites to have a game plan to win the game.

They failed.

Absolutely ridiculous to then bitch because a weaker side didn't play to your strengths.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:44 PM
armchair

I remember us going to newcastle and all out defending in the season they threw the league.

Unread 19-12-2023, 12:00 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I remember us going to newcastle and all out defending in the season they threw the league.
Absolutely

And Eric didn’t purposely get himself suspended from the game and scored the only goal

Unread 19-12-2023, 12:20 AM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHaaksbergen
Ned, you’re sweet, but I’d buy your entire life out 100 times over..
This is becoming tedious. Just because you (may) have won the lottery, it doesn’t validate your opinions.

Unread 19-12-2023, 12:57 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHaaksbergen
Ned, you’re sweet, but I’d buy your entire life out 100 times over.
Banning you now. Next account, pay for a subscription.

Unread 19-12-2023, 11:56 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
This. Feels "was United so who cares"