United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 10-12-2023, 02:17 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Not if you were in the Stretford end, subsection 3(1) of your terms and conditions state that a stream of dripping liquid on your bonce is part of the match going experience

Should get a shampoo sponsor.

Unread 10-12-2023, 02:40 PM
Zorg

Ferguson totally transformed the club into a massively successful institution. He raised standards to an exceptionally high level that put us on the same level with the world’s biggest clubs.

Wanting those standards to be maintained is not being ‘spoilt’ for £#%&!’s sake. It’s an absolute tragedy that they’ve been completely trashed in the last ten years to the extent that a series of absolute £#%&!ing frauds and chancers have spent years stealing a living and producing next to £#%&! all.

‘But Dave Sexton…’ shut up you Uncle Albert bores.

Unread 10-12-2023, 02:54 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Ferguson totally transformed the club into a massively successful institution. He raised standards to an exceptionally high level that put us on the same level with the world’s biggest clubs.

Wanting those standards to be maintained is not being ‘spoilt’ for £#%&!’s sake. It’s an absolute tragedy that they’ve been completely trashed in the last ten years to the extent that a series of absolute £#%&!ing frauds and chancers have spent years stealing a living and producing next to £#%&! all.

Ooh you're so spoilt for wanting one of the richest, best supported and most successful clubs in the world to win trophies. How dare you.

Unread 10-12-2023, 03:11 PM
Finport Red

I’ve supported United since the mid 70s. I’ve endured the early days lows, punctuated with the odd fa cup as something to cheer about.

Like most on here, I also lived through the highs under Fergie, and have watched with increasing dissatisfaction the malaise they had gripped the club since the Glazers took over.

In the pre fergie times it was generally accepted that, as the biggest club in the country, we were punching below our weight, and that in the 90s/00s we were where we should be, at the top of the tree, winning the trophies we always should have been winning.

What was similar throughout both periods though was that I never doubted that the players that turned out each week wanted to be there, were proud to represent Manchester United and would do everything in their power to try and win the game. Unfortunately, I don’t see that anymore, sage for a couple of players.

I’m not sure it is totally cyclical anymore either. I think the game is evolving into something I don’t even really like now, and club success is dictated largely by the amount of money your new owner has won in the lottery, or how many rules and regulations you can get away with breaking.

I do hope we can get back to competing at the very top again, but there are maybe ten players that still need removing from the club and a complete cultural reset that ensures those who do play for us actually do represent United, and not just turn up when they want, do very little when they’re here, and sod off in their Rolls Royces to their x boxes. I idolised many United players down the years, I can’t honestly say I really like a single one of the current mob.

Unread 10-12-2023, 04:04 PM
Furry Russian hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Bumped into a time served top red yesterday morning, went for a cuppa with him.

Reminisced about the dark days of the mid seventies when we were relegated….experiencing that puts the present day worries into perspective. Then we had a bit of a monty python 3 Yorkshiremen moment when we moaned about the slapped arse youngsters not knowing what bad times really were

So got me thinking…..

Old bastards who saw us in the seventies…..will be fairly relaxed about how bad we are, good times will return

Middle aged started watching in the 80s fans….maybe a bit upset but have seen some shite so will be a bit more relaxed

90s fan boys…..absolute spit your dummy out slapped arses who think we have a divine right to win every trophy

2000s onwards…..should be in bed by 9pm

I guess the demographic of this forum is 80s/90s fanboys……do you accept football is a cyclical thing and one day the good times will return, or are you sparky?
Thing is, when we were shit in the seventies/eighties, you still had the atmosphere and camaraderie of Old Trafford to look forward to and l imagine that used to make up for a lot of the shite football you had to endure.

There is absolutely none of that now so the football is literally all you go for, need l say more.

Unread 10-12-2023, 04:06 PM
jem

football is not cyclical at all. you either know what you're doing or you don't.

three cup finals in four years was mega, not shit, by the way. incredible start to the league before losing the entire midfield (10h could have coped easily, I suppose) was mega. watching robson, mcgrath, hughes and whiteside was mega.

back-passing and diving for penalties was never mega, the @#%&!s.

yes, mega. sue me.

anyways....

Unread 10-12-2023, 04:10 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Russian hats
Thing is, when we were shit in the seventies/eighties, you still had the atmosphere and camaraderie of Old Trafford to look forward to and l imagine that used to make up for a lot of the shite football you had to endure.

There is absolutely none of that now so the football is literally all you go for, need l say more.
Good point

The lad I met yesterday was getting quite misty eyed about away games when we were in the old 2nd division….reminded me that at Notts county away I stole a box of crisps from a shop…me mam found out and leathered me

Unread 10-12-2023, 05:57 PM
Medlock

The reason why the relegation is remembered fondly (other than basic nostalgia) isn't because people back then were less bothered about being shit, but because of what came next: the reset, playing attacking football and winning the division, taking 20,000 to each away etc.
I'm sure at the time the relegation was very shit, but the recovery and the way it paved the way for starting winning trophies again has completely changed the way it has been remembered,

Unread 10-12-2023, 06:09 PM
red in cumbria

The relegation season is the earliest United i can properly remember, as funners says that does add a bit of perspective.

As others have said, its not just us presently being sub-optimal that causes disillusion but all the other stuff - our owners don't care and nor do most of the players, and football generally is probably more dislikeable than ever before and its hard to see that changing any time soon.

Still, things can only get better

Unread 10-12-2023, 08:33 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
90s won't be beaten in life or in football.... Zen even if we turn into a future dead giant wolves... Could support rotherham all your life... Blessed and zen

Post script : this post was heavily influenced on attending less frequently and often on freebies
close the thread.

Unread 11-12-2023, 12:02 AM
avocado

Quote:

Dear Zorg,

There was life before Ferguson, you know (well, not in the Sexton era). I think being one of the world’s biggest clubs might have had something to do with a bloke called Busby (and, tragically, Munich).

Yours lovingly, your Uncle Albert.

Unread 11-12-2023, 12:13 AM
Sparky***

Quote:

You're upset about losing 7-0 to Liverpool and getting @#%&!ted by City every season as well as losing 3-0 at home to bournemouth? Happened every week in the 70s pal. Oh wait it didn't.

Unread 11-12-2023, 07:26 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You're upset about losing 7-0 to Liverpool and getting @#%&!ted by City every season as well as losing 3-0 at home to bournemouth? Happened every week in the 70s pal. Oh wait it didn't.
Very true. Can’t think of any player from that era that would deliberately throw the towel in.

Early 70s were the worst. Routinely got thrashed by City and Leeds.

We actually started to play some good stuff before relegation, when Tommy Doc threw a load of youngsters in. Too late, but there was still optimism that we wouldn’t stay down for long. Started off with and away win ant Orient and never looked back. Red Army was £#%&!ing awesome, half-filling most away grounds with 20,000~travelling reds. The Doc and Tommy Cav used to rev the crowd up and there always felt there was a connection.

Now, there’s so much other shit, with Var, refs, all seaters, virtual fans, millionaire players and agents who know the score. Still seems £#%&!ing ridiculous that we only take a couple of thousand to Anfield, when used to fill the whole Anfield Rd end and half fill grounds like Stoke, Sheffield, Burnley etc. The Glazers have really shat on us, from us being a well run club with virtually uncontested funds from our own earnings, to having to answer to ffp restrictions. Corruption in every strata, fifa, uefa, fa, pl, media.

It’s like there’s been a curse upon upon us for the past 10+ years, made worse by oil clubs and others who manage to get in decent management and overall structure but for me, the Goblins that own us are responsible for at least 50% of our woes. Despite my age and previous experience, I feel worse for the state of the club than ever before and until we get rid of these £#%&!ing leeches and the powers that be sort out oil clubs coming in and buying success, that won’t change because they all have their snouts in the trough. Blatter and Platini should still be doing time but got clean off with it. Expect the same with City etc.

Unread 11-12-2023, 07:55 AM
Patty_b

Born in 88 so was lucky enough to have pretty much the entire 90' and 2000's.

Ultimately I don't really care about success, or it's not dependent on my support at least. I do care about doing as much as you can with what you have though, and that's where we've fallen flat on our arse over the past decade. If we had a squad that was playing to the best of it's ability with the money we spend then I'd be almost as happy with the team as I would be if we were winning major trophies every year. But seeing us throw rank amounts of money about on players that couldn't give two £#%&!s about the club other than when it appears on the incoming transactions on their statements, and then seeing those players do £#%&! all on the pitch leaves a sour taste. The club used to have ongoing battles with players like Keane and Rooney when it came to new contracts. Now we're pre-emptively rewarding mediocrity (at best) with obscene numbers that have not been close to being earned.

There used to be a certain amount of pride, standards and expectation with players at the club. That seems to have completely gone. It's probably a lot to do with the game 'moving on' than just the club itself, but over the past few weeks I look at players like Maguire; He's overpaid (they all are tbf) and not good enough to be starting for us, but over the last month or two at least he's looked like he gives a £#%&! and he's trying to earn his money and his place in the team. His lack of ability will hold the team back at times, but I can forgive that when he's trying as hard as he can to reach the standards and expectations needed at the club, and ultimately be proud of playing for us.

Once SAF and Gill left the club, we ended up with a set of lunatics running the asylum. Then to make it worse, those lunatics let the people they're meant to be in charge of start dictating when and how they are managed. It's created an almighty mess which is going to be a struggle to set right again.

Unread 11-12-2023, 08:24 AM
MUFC One Love

It’s a mixture of both, I just can’t be bothered now and don’t really care. More priorities in life etc.

My dad went through the crap days and he thinks it’s a farce now and can’t be bothered with it.

The club has rotted under the Glazers and it’s hard to get behind anything to do with them.

Unread 11-12-2023, 02:39 PM
tatty

As long as the youngsters still have enthusiasm for the game and the club then it doesn’t really matter what the old crusties think.

A few years of mid table mediocrity might be enough to be rid of the Glazer’s but it’s what comes after them now.

If it’s an owner with an eye on future tv revenue and super leagues then we are done for as a club.

Just got to hope the Qatari’s swallow their pride and come back otherwise the club is in big trouble.

Is what it is though.