United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:11 PM
RedMenace

Default Gill on Tevez fee etc

Did a quick search, didn't see it so here goes..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...chester-united

Quote:
David Gill, Manchester United's chief executive, has indicated the club may back down in their dispute with Carlos Tevez's advisers and pay the figure required to keep him at Old Trafford despite publicly admitting that they think the player to be overpriced.

United will have to pay £25.5m to turn Tevez's two-year loan arrangement into a permanent deal, a figure that Gill described as "a bit toppy," despite being the man who signed off the provisional contract two years ago.

Gill has been trying to persuade Kia Joorabchian, the head of the consortium that owns Tevez's economic rights, to renegotiate the terms and lower his valuation of the player, possibly by as much as a third, but those talks have reached an impasse and it is becoming increasingly apparent to United that they are not going to get their way.

"It's clear that if we wish to secure his [Tevez's] rights and enter into a personal contract with him that we need to pay a certain sum," Gill said. "That is £25.5m. It's a decision we are now assessing. Our honest opinion in the current economic climate is that it is a bit toppy but that's not to say we won't pay that if we wish to secure the transfer. Other clubs may be prepared to pay that, or more, so we have to understand that we operate in a certain marketplace."

The announcement represents a subtle yet crucial change in position, Gill having previously made it clear that United would conclude the transfer but only on their terms. The dispute has been described as a staring contest between Gill and Joorabchian - and Gill's admission ahead of Wednesday's Champions League final can be interpreted as him being the first to blink.

Whether Tevez would want to remain at Old Trafford is a complex issue when the striker is known to be disillusioned and, in the words of one of his representatives, "humiliated" by the disclosure that the club no longer values him as highly as two years ago.

Real Madrid have already offered Joorabchian a £40m package for Tevez to move to Spain, and a number of English clubs, led by Manchester City, have also expressed a firm interest. However, Gill believes Tevez would prefer to remain at United at the end of a season in which they could win four major trophies.

"It is difficult to leave Manchester United," Gill, speaking from the team's hotel ahead in central Rome, said. "The game is littered with players who have left us and will say that after Manchester United it is downhill. Hopefully they get the right advice, they understand that and make the right decision.

"What we can hopefully achieve with this squad is there for everyone to see. It is these big events and these big occasions in which every player want to be involved. It is about medals, being here (in a final) and being surrounded by this. Rarely do players at Manchester United think solely about the money, they think about competing in the biggest games at the end of the season."

Another meeting with Joorabchian has been pencilled in for next week when Gill will, once again, ask for the fee to be brought down below £20m. Failing that, however, United must decide whether they bite the bullet and stick to the terms of their agreement with Joorabchian or walk away from the deal and try to bring in a replacement striker for less money.

"It is [a] unique [deal], but I don't think that necessarily makes it more tricky," Gill said. "We're clear we've got an agreement with them, that if we want to acquire the option we have to pay a certain sum. In that respect it is arguably easier because it is a fixed fee. It is not like they can negotiate for weeks.

"He's out of contract on 30 June and he will want to understand where he is playing next season well in advance of going on holiday and having a well-deserved break. It is in everyone's interests to be resolved and I think it will be pretty quickly."

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:12 PM
believe

put ssn on

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:13 PM
RedMenace

Don't have ssn at work old bean.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Ether

So it's not £32m after all then? Shocking

£20m would be fair for all parties I think.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:19 PM
armchair

"A bit toppy"

I like Gill. Very strong negotiator. Him and Pete, compare and contrast.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:21 PM
marlo

if carclos stayed it will be the best thing to happen to the club since the treble.

he is our cantona.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
if carclos stayed it will be the best thing to happen to the club since the treble.

he is our cantona.
you're really trying it on today

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:23 PM
RedMenace

Interesting to note what he says about paying it if they have to. Probably depends on who if anybody they could bring in for less that would do the same job. I'm a bit more optimistic about him staying now, that's if he wants to stay of course.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether

£5million a goal.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:25 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
£5million a goal.
he scored 16 goals this season in all competitions.

if carlos stays, his return to ot will be emotional.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Interesting to note what he says about paying it if they have to. Probably depends on who if anybody they could bring in for less that would do the same job. I'm a bit more optimistic about him staying now, that's if he wants to stay of course.
the thing is he has been harping on about not getting played enough and i can't see that changing

we played most of last year with only 2 fit strikers at the club as saha was rarely available. We HAD to bring in a 3rd quality striker and if he doesn't like it then i have no sympathy for him, particularly as he has been below last years standard for most of the year

and if he does go scouse on us he can £#%&! himself

believe

Quote:

if he stays he won't be returning. hth.

Grimson

Quote:

It wouldn't really be a return if he never left.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

i'm staggered that in 2007 they agreed an option to pay £25.5m 2yrs down the line tbh

on the other hand, that's only £7m (ish) more than Mascherano so maybe it's not such a bad deal?

and Vermin agreed to take up their option on him ages ago which could explain Tevez's increasing frustration?

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:29 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
the thing is he has been harping on about not getting played enough and i can't see that changing

we played most of last year with only 2 fit strikers at the club as saha was rarely available. We HAD to bring in a 3rd quality striker and if he doesn't like it then i have no sympathy for him, particularly as he has been below last years standard for most of the year

and if he does go scouse on us he can £#%&! himself
He might be more tolerant if he was on a permanent deal but I'd agree he'd have to accept he won't play every game.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:29 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
It wouldn't really be a return if he never left.
he left in spirit after that 'wave'

if he comes back it will be like a wife seeing her husband come off the war train as it returned.(war scars on his neck)

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:30 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i'm staggered that in 2007 they agreed an option to pay £25.5m 2yrs down the line tbh

on the other hand, that's only £7m (ish) more than Mascherano so maybe it's not such a bad deal?

and Vermin agreed to take up their option on him ages ago which could explain Tevez's increasing frustration?
good point.

im wondering why we didnt buy him earlier for an outright £25m etc or even cut his loan deal short meaning he would have cost £18m

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
True, but you also have to look at it from another standpoint. If he does go, £6.5m for 2 years service from a player of Tevez's calibre is a very good deal for United.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether

So he will have effectively cost us £35.5 million.

Unread 26-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Pop

Quote:

he is our cantona.
What a £#%&!ing ridiculous thing to say

Everybody knows Berbatov is the new Cantona
Closed Thread