United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-12-2023, 11:05 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Once you figure out the tactics it's even worse.

There's no overriding philosophy of how football should be played. It's all about the other side making mistakes, encouraging those mistakes and exploiting them when they happen.
To be fair this is exactly what Pep goes for. They hold onto the ball for x amount of time and simply wait for the opposition to make a mistake, move out of position and then exploit etc. However, I will concede we don’t seem to be keen on the holding the ball part and I’ve never been a big fan of that kind of football anyway.

I don’t even think we have the players for it.

He needs to play to our strengths but I am gradually losing faith that he knows what those strengths are.

Unread 30-12-2023, 11:09 PM
armchair

ten hag will look at tonight's goal and think the counter-press is starting to work. Bruno intercepted for one of of goals v villa too. That's our tactics.

With the ball we have nothing. No philosophy.

We are doing the slow build-up thing deliberately too. We could be passing around playing progressive football but his idea is pass it around and have the opposition over commit to the press and then when that leaves space we can exploit that mistake.

It's actually worse than Van Gaal's football. In a way he encourages giving the ball away so we can win it back quickly again while the opposition are not set up defensively.

Unread 30-12-2023, 11:27 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
To be fair this is exactly what Pep goes for. They hold onto the ball for x amount of time and simply wait for the opposition to make a mistake, move out of position and then exploit etc. However, I will concede we don’t seem to be keen on the holding the ball part and I’ve never been a big fan of that kind of football anyway.

I don’t even think we have the players for it.

He needs to play to our strengths but I am gradually losing faith that he knows what those strengths are.
Our play is so fractured and chaotic that it's hard to know what the overall plan is at times. We build up from the back as if we're being calculated and deliberate then we inevitably cycle the ball back to the keeper who just punts it anyway.

When we do manage to work our way up the pitch far too often the ball is fed into the two flanks, we lose our way, the wide players play too often with their heads down and backs to goal, nothing comes of it. We are so, so easy to defend against.

The biggest insult i can level at this team is that other teams seem to enjoy playing against them a lot of the time. I watch absolute charlies like Gibbs-White today grinning from ear to ear, probably be living off that goal all season. I'm sick to death of these teams who aren't anything more than grafters turning up and beating us with nothing more than £#%&!ing gumption.

Unread 30-12-2023, 11:40 PM
woody78

Quote:
ten hag will look at tonight's goal and think the counter-press is starting to work. Bruno intercepted for one of of goals v villa too. That's our tactics.

With the ball we have nothing. No philosophy.

We are doing the slow build-up thing deliberately too. We could be passing around playing progressive football but his idea is pass it around and have the opposition over commit to the press and then when that leaves space we can exploit that mistake.

It's actually worse than Van Gaal's football. In a way he encourages giving the ball away so we can win it back quickly again while the opposition are not set up defensively.
That's the only part of his plan they carry out perfectly

Unread 30-12-2023, 11:51 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Our form over the last 7 games is on a par with Sheffield United who are bottom of the league. We have a perfect storm of not being able to score and shipping soft goals.

It's deflating and demoralising to watch and it's become depressingly predictable.
As i said in the summer to you specifically we are now not tethered with success or winning!

United are now known a team that just lose or stink up the place. When have we ever been involved in a good game of football under ETH.

He has to go as this is ridiculous now. Every week by half time we want changes.

Unread 30-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
As i said in the summer to you specifically we are now not tethered with success or winning!

United are now known a team that just lose or stink up the place. When have we ever been involved in a good game of football under ETH.

He has to go as this is ridiculous now. Every week by half time we want changes.
I can't even put up an argument any more pal. it's desperate stuff.

Unread 31-12-2023, 12:02 AM
marlo

We have lost more games that Chelsea this season in the league and they’ve scored 12 more goals that us…:

but yeah we celebrated our 70m striker scoring a goal.

Unread 31-12-2023, 12:04 AM
Dacter

I understand what he’s trying to do but I think the overriding problem is twofold:

1. Injuries to key players have been crippling this season. Watching Martinez it’s seems pretty clear that he is key to what Hag wants to do. Then also losing the likes of Shaw, Casemiro, Mount (I see exactly why he’d want someone like Mount for his quick transition stuff tbf) etc has been a huge problem.

2. I think he’s tried to run before he could walk with this mob. There’s a lack of brains and bottle in our squad, so asking them to play with any sort of risk is suicidal. Rather than compromising he’s stuck with it seemingly under the impression that it’s all just going to click into place.

I understand why a lot of people want him gone as it’s been horrible in large parts this season. But I honestly can’t see past the @#%&!s on the pitch who have failed and failed and failed under successive managers. There’s a reason our best players at any given time are generally new signings or younger players. The ones who have been there for multiple seasons are a disease and they need to be rooted out before they infect those who can still be rescued. Otherwise we’ll be sat here in 5 years arguing about how the manager needs to be sacked after Garnacho, Mainoo and Rashford have just turned in their latest dire performance, and should be dropped in favour of the latest promising academy graduates.

We’re in a cycle and I really believe what needs to happen is Ineos (hopefully for me) Ten Hag need to be empowered by the fans to break it once and for all. Remove those for whom failure has become a habit, not those who are going through it for the first time.

Unread 31-12-2023, 12:10 AM
marlo

the game needed The Scottish Player. Says the man for the job!

Unread 31-12-2023, 12:18 AM
croady26

INEOS not having full control of recruitment and the injury excuse will keep him in a job

Unread 31-12-2023, 12:25 AM
armchair

I preferred us when we were tactically naive but won games occasionally.

Unread 31-12-2023, 12:28 AM
Lok

Quote:
I preferred us when we were tactically naive but won games occasionally.
Have we ever been more tactically naive? He's making Solskjaer look like Rinus Michels.

Unread 31-12-2023, 12:29 AM
dinger

Quote:
https://x.com/samuelluckhurst/status...Nn5G1bnpwj1gww

£#%&!ing idiotic, on the plus side I’m just glad he wasn’t injured

Unread 31-12-2023, 12:31 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
https://x.com/samuelluckhurst/status...Nn5G1bnpwj1gww

Weren’t you the guy bigging up The Scottish Player recently saying we were idiots for thinking he’s shit?

Unread 31-12-2023, 02:40 AM
croady26

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
We all know he’s off as soon as Ineos are in officially. He will maybe get to the summer but he will be gone then.
Nightmare thinking we have this for another 5 months,injury returns won't be the revelation he thinks and some of his disciples in fanbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
We all know he’s off as soon as Ineos are in officially. He will maybe get to the summer but he will be gone then.
Needs someone like a Stoke City to take Potter off market,otherwise I have a feeling we will end up appointing him

Unread 31-12-2023, 04:33 AM
shenwen

Neville made the point - we play half arsed as if we are 3-0 up. Then the other team gets a goal and we start to try and score. It's usually either too late or we go on and concede again straight after.

I don't think we can always blame the players for this approach when they've shown (rarely) that they can actually play well as a team. For whatever reason, there's no consistency and no desire to go out there and dominate games. Manager has to take the responsibility. I doubt he's going to last now. Losing to Forest and it isn't even a shock.

Unread 31-12-2023, 07:08 AM
croady26

The only way Potter could succeed here is if we cleared out all the big names (never happening). His brief spell at Chelsea tells you he needs a Brighton like dressing room

Unread 31-12-2023, 08:07 AM
magic_cantona

How do you go from that second half vs Villa to this sack of shit game from minute 1? It should be easy to answer because we've been doing it regularly - great moments and euphoria, to "Riiight, so it's THIS again".

All too familiar.

Unread 31-12-2023, 09:47 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
How do you go from that second half vs Villa to this sack of shit game from minute 1? It should be easy to answer because we've been doing it regularly - great moments and euphoria, to "Riiight, so it's THIS again".

All too familiar.
This is my big problem. We get a result or put in a performance that should invigorate us at least a bit but then in our very next game, play like we despise playing football.

Unread 31-12-2023, 09:55 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
This is my big problem. We get a result or put in a performance that should invigorate us at least a bit but then in our very next game, play like we despise playing football.
and it happens every single time we manage to play at least half well. next game - rubbish.
Closed Thread