United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 29-11-2023, 10:38 PM
red in cumbria

Things go just a bit different and we have already qualified from this group FFS.

Unread 29-11-2023, 10:40 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
does a draw in the other game knock us out today i can’t remember
no

Unread 29-11-2023, 10:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
no
Don't worry, we're not beating Bayern anyway.

Unread 29-11-2023, 10:42 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Don't worry, we're not beating Bayern anyway.
i worry we'll draw at home to bayern and end up qualifying for the europa on £#%&!ing goal difference or something. Or does it go on head to head in this comp?

Unread 29-11-2023, 10:45 PM
larry

Quote:
i worry we'll draw at home to bayern and end up qualifying for the europa on £#%&!ing goal difference or something. Or does it go on head to head in this comp?
ooh don't you know?

Unread 29-11-2023, 10:46 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
ooh don't you know?
it's been a while since i've had to consider it tbf

Unread 29-11-2023, 10:48 PM
larry

we have a better head to head than copenhagen so it's possible we could finish 3rd with a draw

edit: actually our head to head is even so it would go on goal difference, then goals scored,

(i didn't know)

so if they lose to gala, and we draw, we'll be 3rd on goals scored

Unread 29-11-2023, 11:01 PM
woody78

Quote:
we have a better head to head than copenhagen so it's possible we could finish 3rd with a draw
Our head to head with Copenhagen is 4-4

Hasn't away goals been scrapped?

Unread 29-11-2023, 11:03 PM
jem

Quote:
Every away game it just turns into basketball. We don’t keep the ball well enough, we don’t know how to control a game and we end up making silly mistakes because we put ourselves under pressure.
well.... yes.

onana threw the game, but he wasn't responsible for the stupid free kicks - the first of which was down to not having a midfield. it's not his fault we can't control a game (no proper midfield). and it's not his fault that, as well as some great goals, we managed to squander some very presentable chances. we should have been solid at 3-1 and we should have scored three in the last 10 minutes.

£#%&! knows why 10h won't play amrabat and mainoo (and cass as well, when fit), but we are guaranteed chaos with his silly mountless 4-1-2-3.

also, if amrabat's not even a foul was the standard for a yellow (never a yellow), how did boo-ey stay on the pitch? euro refs are very, very silly. euro var did us a favour, though. wide £#%&!ing open. I don't want mouball, but I also don't want this.

we'll beat bayern. the others will draw. lol.

Unread 29-11-2023, 11:04 PM
VanHaaksbergen

There’s something of the Keegan or Rodgers to Ten Hag. Absolute wildness in games that count. Looking like a flat track bully.

Big December ahead. Europa would be the worst thing to happen as all focus will need to be on coming top 5, which should still be possible.

DDG top for CS last season; Onana top so far this season. And yet conceded 14 goals in 5 games in Europe.

Unread 29-11-2023, 11:06 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody78
Our head to head with Copenhagen is 4-4

Hasn't away goals been scrapped?
yeah edited; thought it might still be used to separate group positions but it isnt

Points in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
Goal difference in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
Goals scored in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
If more than two teams were tied, and after applying all head-to-head criteria above, a subset of teams were still tied, all head-to-head criteria above were reapplied exclusively to this subset of teams;
Goal difference in all group matches;
Goals scored in all group matches;
Away goals scored in all group matches;
Wins in all group matches;
Away wins in all group matches;
Disciplinary points (direct red card = 3 points; double yellow card = 3 points; single yellow card = 1 point);
UEFA club coefficient.

Unread 29-11-2023, 11:33 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
The second one is so bad it’s untrue. Just what is he trying to do?
Fix the match? It’s so bad he needs selling asap.
We might as well just put a bag of cement there ffs.

Unread 29-11-2023, 11:41 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Fix the match? It’s so bad he needs selling asap.
We might as well just put a bag of cement there ffs.
The mark of a really good goalkeeper is not making crazy saves or coming 30 yards off your line to blooter the ball into the stands any time the opposition play a ball over the top... it's doing the basic stuff excellently and the hard stuff well. At the moment Onana is really £#%&!ing poor at the basic stuff.

I don't care how good he is at playing triangles with Maguire and Lindelof and spraying the ball wide, if he can't come out and claim a simple ball into the box or save a shot that's hit straight at him then he's not really good enough to be a Manchester United goalkeeper.

I've been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt so far because he's been playing behind an absolute revolving door of defenders infront of him and a non existent midfield, but tonight is on him. Two of those goals we let in are meat and drink for a goalkeeper at this level.

Unread 29-11-2023, 11:54 PM
Denis Irwell

So many contradictions with this lot but one thing appears pretty certain; gk. Just get a proper £#%&!ing keeper. We already have 2x more reliable in the squad.

Other than that, Erik cops flak for his subs, but as pure pointed out, subs: Martial, Pellistri and Dalot all should have scored. He can’t do it for them. Tbf, I’d never rely on Martial but he obviously thought being two goals to the good, we’d get away with his lack of defensive effort,that we lost taking Ras off, and Martial might even stick one in. He didn’t and the defensive frailties started with hm, all the way back.

Reckon there are signs of progress but £#%&! me, there’s always something else that cancels it out.

Praying for a Kane hat trick

Unread 30-11-2023, 12:14 AM
ZiggyStardust

So we need Galatasaray and Copenhagen to draw and for us to beat Bayern to go through

Yeah that’s not happening

Unread 30-11-2023, 12:20 AM
Zorg

Quote:
The mark of a really good goalkeeper is not making crazy saves or coming 30 yards off your line to blooter the ball into the stands any time the opposition play a ball over the top... it's doing the basic stuff excellently and the hard stuff well. At the moment Onana is really £#%&!ing poor at the basic stuff.

I don't care how good he is at playing triangles with Maguire and Lindelof and spraying the ball wide, if he can't come out and claim a simple ball into the box or save a shot that's hit straight at him then he's not really good enough to be a Manchester United goalkeeper.

I've been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt so far because he's been playing behind an absolute revolving door of defenders infront of him and a non existent midfield, but tonight is on him. Two of those goals we let in are meat and drink for a goalkeeper at this level.
Totally agree. I was also happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that was Karius for Liverpool bad. Game changingly bad. He quite simply has no business playing for United and we have to be ruthless. £#%&! him off right now or he will continue to let us down.

Unread 30-11-2023, 12:21 AM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
£#%&! him off right now or he will continue to let us down.
let him play the bayern game then loan / sell / release in jan

Unread 30-11-2023, 12:33 AM
Zorg

Quote:
let him play the bayern game then loan / sell / release in jan
Or pick a bag of cement v Bayern and whip Onana naked through the streets of Alderly Edge

Unread 30-11-2023, 12:48 AM
croady26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
So we need Galatasaray and Copenhagen to draw and for us to beat Bayern to go through

Yeah that’s not happening
Yeah only got ourselves to blame for just carelessly chucking away the lead in 3 games

Unread 30-11-2023, 12:50 AM
Fat Al

Quote:

As you say, if he can't do the basic stuff properly, then he shouldn't be a Utd goalkeeper. Regardless of the defensive trials & tribulations in front of him. Save the £#%&!ing ball when it's hit at you. It IS that simple.

If Fergie was still our manager, Onana would be binned the second the transfer window opened.