United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-03-2015, 01:35 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Defensively he has improved, no question. His distribution however is awful, and I think that's a very important attribute in Van Gaal's mind.
I'd love to see this Utd side with quality technical defenders who can pass the ball comfortably out from the back

It really would make a huge difference to how quickly we move the ball from defence into our forwards

That's why I thought Blind at left back yesterday made such a difference to how quickly we moved the ball out from the back

Unread 16-03-2015, 01:43 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I'd love to see this Utd side with quality technical defenders who can pass the ball comfortably out from the back

It really would make a huge difference to how quickly we move the ball from defence into our forwards

That's why I thought Blind at left back yesterday made such a difference to how quickly we moved the ball out from the back
I was hugely impressed with Blind. The pundits were banging on about Spurs' complete lack of penetration down their right as though it were totally down to their own ineptitude. As usual, they just weren't paying attention.

Unread 16-03-2015, 01:47 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Hooray for everyone!

Smalling's alright. I'm pretty sure we could do better, but at the moment and given the alternatives, yes, he's adequate.

Unread 16-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I have been impressed with his reaction to the red card at City. Could easily have fallen away after that, was on the end of a lot of criticism, but he responded admirably, probably been our best defender this season.

This is the first season in his Utd career where he has been used exclusively at CB. It has improved him, always been a excellent one v one defender, his positional play and reading of the game has been the issue.
Love the way he passed ings on to no-one so that he could get across the front stick at home to burnley - ok so ings scored with a free header, but smalling could easily have saved a goal if there'd been a burnley player making the run he decided to cover

yesterday he did well with the physical stuff and most of his positional play was ok. but spurs offered no threat in behind whatsoever so he was rarely tested covering off-the-ball movement, and his abysmal distribution was highlighted by the fact the rest of the team played at such a high level

Unread 16-03-2015, 02:09 PM
forwardirektion

That run from the back was majestic...............then he remembered he was Chris Smalling and smashed it out for a goal kick

Unread 16-03-2015, 02:14 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
Love the way he passed ings on to no-one so that he could get across the front stick at home to burnley - ok so ings scored with a free header, but smalling could easily have saved a goal if there'd been a burnley player making the run he decided to cover

yesterday he did well with the physical stuff and most of his positional play was ok. but spurs offered no threat in behind whatsoever so he was rarely tested covering off-the-ball movement, and his abysmal distribution was highlighted by the fact the rest of the team played at such a high level
Deffo Throb

Unread 16-03-2015, 02:15 PM
utd99

Quote:

Right. I think with certain players we have a tendency to misconstrue what is a good performance for them with what is a good performance period. If that had been Ferdinand in his pomp we would likely be asking why he misplaced so many passes and suggesting that he was the only one of the starting eleven that underperformed. But Ferdinand in his prime is exactly the standard we should be aiming for, not someone who has previously set the bar so low that it's a welcome relief when he performs well.

Unread 16-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Right. I think with certain players we have a tendency to misconstrue what is a good performance for them with what is a good performance period. If that had been Ferdinand in his pomp we would likely be asking why he misplaced so many passes and suggesting that he was the only one of the starting eleven that underperformed. But Ferdinand in his prime is exactly the standard we should be aiming for, not someone who has previously set the bar so low that it's a welcome relief when he performs well.
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Deffo Throb
you seem ok tbf, but your mate comes across as a bit of a £#%&!er

Unread 16-03-2015, 02:43 PM
utd99

At best, Smalling and Jones (Evans is toast) are currently auditioning for the role of back up to Rojo and whoever we buy in the Summer, though it could be that VG plans to get one major CB and a solid if unspectacular addition such as Vlaar. If that's the case then the die is cast for all three.

Unread 16-03-2015, 02:45 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
you seem ok tbf, but your mate comes across as a bit of a £#%&!er
Cheers mate G2C you back

Unread 16-03-2015, 02:45 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Cheers mate G2C you back
What does the 'G' stand for again?

Unread 16-03-2015, 04:01 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
only from you ffs
more pointless than the sack van gaal thread tbh

Unread 16-03-2015, 04:47 PM
barca99

Yeah he should be good enough to see us through to the summer then he can do one, and he can take jones or evans with him, don't mind which one.

Unread 16-03-2015, 06:04 PM
S/Side.Red

The much maligned three at the back served as a crash course for the defenders in what LvG wants from a centre-back. They had to cover wider spaces, communicate better and perhaps most importantly were forced to take responsibility on the ball. Smalling has had a good crack at it, Evans has probably failed to the point of being sold and Jones is 50/50 at the moment because he still has time.

I'd like to see Smalling make a career at United, but there will probably always be a limit to his potential. I suspect he and Jones will spend next season trying to put pressure on Rojo, with hopefully a top class centre-half becoming the leader at the back.

Unread 16-03-2015, 06:17 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The much maligned three at the back served as a crash course for the defenders in what LvG wants from a centre-back. They had to cover wider spaces, communicate better and perhaps most importantly were forced to take responsibility on the ball. Smalling has had a good crack at it, Evans has probably failed to the point of being sold and Jones is 50/50 at the moment because he still has time.

I'd like to see Smalling make a career at United, but there will probably always be a limit to his potential. I suspect he and Jones will spend next season trying to put pressure on Rojo, with hopefully a top class centre-half becoming the leader at the back.
Good points.

I think LvGg's quotes that central defenders are the new playmakers (quoted here) suggests he'd like at least one ball-player as a centre-half, which is obviously not what Smalling is - Hummels and Rojo next season maybe?

Unread 16-03-2015, 06:21 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Good points.

I think LvGg's quotes that central defenders are the new playmakers (quoted here) suggests he'd like at least one ball-player as a centre-half, which is obviously not what Smalling is - Hummels and Rojo next season maybe?
Hummels seems the obvious experienced head. There are very bright talents out there, such as Marquinhos who is already a very high quality defender, but Hummels does stand out as the guy to perhaps bring that calm and knowledge to the backline.

Obviously not the quickest, but on the ball it doesn't get much better. He'd bring so much quality to the build-up play.

Unread 16-03-2015, 07:00 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Good points.

more likely to be carrick.

Unread 17-03-2015, 12:41 AM
Swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
since sunderland seems to have come on in games and just needs to cut out the one error in a game he always seems capable of . I feel there is a good player in there bursting to come out actually starting to bring the ball out quickly and looks totally different to the one id have gladly strangled after the city game in November . hopefully whatever is taking place at Carrington in training the penny appears to have finally dropped
playing a young centre back consistently in his position leads to better performances. worked with rio and terry. Who'd have thunk?

Unread 17-03-2015, 01:15 AM
Luffy

There was a period where Smalling looked good under fergie, composed on the ball, fast, wins most aerial duels, he was even quite skilful at RB. But his problem is he's a confidence player and you don't really want your CBs being confidence players. This was my problem with brown as well. It's great when you're confident but when you start getting anxious mistakes happen.

Jones doesn't have this problem, his mistakes are more clumsiness, eagerness or rushing shit. A bit of maturity might sort him out.

Still think these two can come good tbh.

Unread 17-03-2015, 01:25 AM
Cream

Smalling is not good enough.

Smalling is better than Evans and Jones.

Smalling can stay as back up, which he'd probably prefer - the massive shithouse.
Closed Thread