Unread 08-02-2013, 02:09 AM
Weekend Hussler

Sir Wobbly enjoying some of Monarch's finest bubbly on the plane home

Unread 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Just incredible.

Loved Johnsen that game, thought he was a magnificent defender for us. Berg was quality against Inter that year too.

Always remember Fergie looking incredibly nervous during the game.
He was a top player, ruined by £#%&!ing injuries

Unread 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
And without losing a match.
I was in the pub the other week with a few mates and my old man came in and ended up bumping into a mate he doesn't see much of, a blue so he went talking to him and his blue mates. One of his blue mates said to my Dad, after they were discussing city being shit in Europe, that when we won the treble we had an easy group. I imagine his face was a bit "" when he was informed we had Barca and Munich in our group.

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I was in the pub the other week with a few mates and my old man came in and ended up bumping into a mate he doesn't see much of, a blue so he went talking to him and his blue mates. One of his blue mates said to my Dad, after they were discussing city being shit in Europe, that when we won the treble we had an easy group. I imagine his face was a bit "" when he was informed we had Barca and Munich in our group.
A perfect example of the ABU mindset - claim whatever you like, it doesn't have to have any basis in reality.

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Neo

Great match.

I remember it well as the moment I started supporting Man U.

Unread 08-02-2013, 11:44 PM
signed dc

Final on now

Unread 09-02-2013, 12:09 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
Final on now
I hadn't seen the full match or extended highlights of the 99 final for a long time

We really didn't start playing until the last 10 minutes.

We had a lot of possession but Bayern were constantly catching us on the counter.
Without Keane or Scholes in Midfield no one seemed to be able show composure on the ball. So many long balls from the back

Interesting with the recent critisim of De Gea that Schmeichel made a terrible mistake for their goal. It wasn't even a good free kick but instead of just taking it easily Schmeichel did what it always did and wrong footed himself by taking a step to the side the wall was on

Unread 09-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Jack Duckworth

was there. remember almost crying when juve's 2nd went in and having a massive arse seeing at schmeichel and about us bottling it in the champs league #headwent

good job keano's didn't.

that and the inter away game (and obvs the final) brought me so much joy. what a season

Unread 09-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!

Loved Johnsen that game, thought he was a magnificent defender for us. Berg was quality against Inter that year too.
Johnsen had an absolute stormer in the 2nd half in Turin and was a key factor in ud controlling the game. Remember him dribbling through their midfield with the ball at one point and almost taking the piss as we pushed for the winner.

Unread 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Mr Castro

I remember Boris Becker telling a story about the final. Him and Franz Beckenbauer were due to get the trophy ready for presentation and were upstairs in the Nou Camp. In about the 89th minute Beckenbauer tells Becker the game was over and it's time to go downstairs and get it ready. By the time they'd got down to ground level we'd scored twice

Unread 09-02-2013, 01:55 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Without Keane or Scholes
Think we'd have won by a couple of goals with them in the team tbh. Wouldn't change a thing obvs.

Unread 09-02-2013, 03:16 PM
thrush

Just an unbelievable experience the whole period January onwards in 99. I remember the period of about 03-06 constantly watching season reviews of the 90s on my VHS player practically in tears at how shit we'd become.

Since we have been treated to another 6 years of sustained success.

Love United!!

Unread 09-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Sparky***

January of 99 through to the may was honestly the peak. the absolute peak.

i honestly don't think we'll ever have another 5 months like that, the way the momentum built, classic game after classic game....what a time.

Unread 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM
The Watcher

Greatest performance in Europe by a Frogson managed side and only bettered by the 1-5 in Benfica as the finest ever victory United have had on the continent.

Roy Keane
Closed Thread