Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-03-2009, 03:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Awwww.
it wasn't a reaction to your sarcasm.

when I've finished painting, I will have the option of coming back on here or watching the paint dry. 50/50*, I'll be back.

Unread 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it wasn't a reaction to your sarcasm.

when I've finished painting, I will have the option of coming back on here or watching the paint dry. 50/50*, I'll be back.
Wasn't sarcasm, 2 United threads on page 1, you've done alot of good today.

Unread 04-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Great posts Baron & Carrick

Maybe one of the reasons the '99 never came close to winning the European Cup again was they were salready atisfied? Keane mentioned it in his autobiog and it was apparent in Leverkusen - the players seemed to almost think another big cup was inevitable, like the League at the time. One of the best things about last seasons win was the likes of Rio and Carrick (player not fredster) coming out saying they weren't happy with one - they wanted more.

Dominating an era of European football is something this club has never done and I'd love to see Fergie manage it in his final years in charge. Milan in the 80s/90s and the juventus team of the mid to late 90s are the blueprint for me. five finals in seven years and three in a row respectively. That's what we should now be aiming for. Our strength (both on the pitch and economically) gives us a great chance to really get our European record up there with the likes of Ajax, Bayern and Milan. If we manage it by beating those type of team in their own grounds, that’d be even better.

The point about the youngsters is an excellent too. And just behind the likes of Fabio, Rafael, Possebon etc we have teenagers like those Italian strikers and the kids from Belgrade. From a footballing pov, I don’t think the clubs been in such a strong position in the mid 50s.

top post mate, couldn't agree more

Unread 04-03-2009, 03:30 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Wasn't sarcasm, 2 United threads on page 1, you've done alot of good today.
only because I dangled the prospect of a #@&%! video.

Unread 04-03-2009, 03:32 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
only because I dangled the prospect of a #@&%! video.
Have you heard about Felix's #@&%!? It is apparantly immense.

Unread 04-03-2009, 04:07 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Smirking Revenge
top post mate, couldn't agree more
I just don’t want to see us waste the opportunity we have. When I was a kid, that old Milan side amazed me. While we could attract some of the best players in the country, they had no problem getting the best in the world. Van Basten injured? No problem – lets buy Savicevic! They played at the San Siro in front of 80,000, smashed Real Madrid 5-0 and seemed to play in the European Cup final every season…I dreamt of United one day being like that. Now we are. We’ve got the financial strength, huge stadium, the best player in the World, a fantastic squad and are in Europe every season. Circumstances won’t be like this forever (just look at us three years ago), so we must take advantage of them while we can.

Unread 04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I just don’t want to see us waste the opportunity we have. When I was a kid, that old Milan side amazed me. While we could attract some of the best players in the country, they had no problem getting the best in the world. Van Basten injured? No problem – lets buy Savicevic! They played at the San Siro in front of 80,000, smashed Real Madrid 5-0 and seemed to play in the European Cup final every season…I dreamt of United one day being like that. Now we are. We’ve got the financial strength, huge stadium, the best player in the World, a fantastic squad and are in Europe every season. Circumstances won’t be like this forever (just look at us three years ago), so we must take advantage of them while we can.
who will be our Boban though Watcher? what with Rooney and Ronaldo tied up being our Savicevic

and our Donadoni is getting on a bit

Evra would be good for tying Maldini's laces I suppose

Unread 04-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville

(thats right its Jem.... 'aving a bubble bath guvnor.)
Genuinely thought it was Ronan Keating until i scrolled down a bit.

Unread 04-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Baron

Quote:
bang on, it's a scenario that only seems to come round once in a while. Ajax made the most of their time, they employed the right people on & off the pitch in the '70's. Bayern continued that in the same decade, the Vermin *spit* had a period when English football was on top but they did what they needed to do. Milan & Juve again years later & now.... now it could be us. Whether we need to expand the squad, or if the kids are alright, that's Fergies call. I've made my call, I'll happily accept Fergie knows best though. What is apparent is it never lasts, I'm desperate for us to find the balance those teams through the pantheons of the game did & make the most of the opportunity they've created for themselves.

Unread 04-03-2009, 04:38 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
who will be our Boban though Watcher? what with Rooney and Ronaldo tied up being our Savicevic
Ronnie & Rooney are slightly more reliable then the mercurial Montenegrin was

Baron - Agreed. Wednesday is the game of the season for me. Buzzing & terrified in equal measure

Unread 04-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Ronnie & Rooney are slightly more reliable then the mercurial Montenegrin was

Baron - Agreed. Wednesday is the game of the season for me. Buzzing & terrified in equal measure
we have to win on Wednesday simple as that

it's bad enough that we might draw the english teams in europe afterwards, but at least give ourselves the chance of bayern or barca ffs

i always remember eric saying that if you only win in your own country then football forgets you. we were lucky enough to get Inter. imagine how shit it would be if we get drawn to play english teams in the Q/F and S/F though

like if we knock Arsenal out over 2 legs it'll basically mean £#%&! all

Unread 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
we have to win on Wednesday simple as that

it's bad enough that we might draw the english teams in europe afterwards, but at least give ourselves the chance of bayern or barca ffs

i always remember eric saying that if you only win in your own country then football forgets you. we were lucky enough to get Inter. imagine how shit it would be if we get drawn to play english teams in the Q/F and S/F though

like if we knock Arsenal out over 2 legs it'll basically mean £#%&! all
The prospect of playing another English side is not one I relish. But as long as we're in it, I'll be happy. And I'd fancy us against any of our domestic opponents over two legs.

Unread 04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
BarryX

Quote:
The prospect of playing another English side is not one I relish. But as long as we're in it, I'll be happy. And I'd fancy us against any of our domestic opponents over two legs.
I don't class Arsenal as English anymore.

Unread 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Tronics

why isn't she banned yet?

Unread 04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
why isn't she banned yet?

I beg your pardon.

Unread 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote: