United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-01-2016, 03:07 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
What does "a lot different" mean? He's a left back, a good one, but how would he have stopped us being shit single handedly?
It £#%&!ed our momentum a bit. It wasn't just him. We had to re-jig at the back and we had a good thing going on with him there.

Not to mention it was in the psv game. We narrowly lost. I'd wager we wouldn't have lost that night with him there. And we wouldn't have gone out the CL if we avoided defeat there.

Unread 01-01-2016, 03:12 AM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
It £#%&!ed our momentum a bit. It wasn't just him. We had to re-jig at the back and we had a good thing going on with him there.

Not to mention it was in the psv game. We narrowly lost. I'd wager we wouldn't have lost that night with him there. And we wouldn't have gone out the CL if we avoided defeat there.
Maybe you're right but it sums up how fragile we were if the loss of a left back completely derailed our season

Unread 01-01-2016, 06:07 AM
Paul Smith

I was going to say the thread title makes it sound like Shaw is in rehab, but I suppose he actually is.

Unread 01-01-2016, 07:07 AM
Bunker Buster

He's just a left back

There's no way a decent left back has de railed our season, would he of saved us points and champions league ? Maybe...

But he's just a left back...we had good results after him...

When's he back anyway ?

Unread 01-01-2016, 08:35 AM
rogieop

Whatever about Shaws absence derailing the season due to having to rejig, the idea that Memphis has at any stage in his United career been anything other than absolute dog shite is laughable.

He was shite when Shaw was playing, he's shite now Shaw is not playing.

He is our Ryan Babel.

Unread 01-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Tiberian

We were hardly flowing with him in the team.

1-0 against Spurs, own goal
1-0 against Villa, deflected shot
0-0 against Newcastle
1-2 against Swansea
3-1 against Liverpool, 3 shots on target

Scored freely against Brugge but when playing competent teams we have struggled badly to create. Only in the last few weeks that we struggled defensively as well.

He and Martial are clearly the stand out signings from the last 2 years though, 2 who have the potential to be among the best in the world in their positions over the next 10 years, recovery permitting.

Unread 01-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

He and Martial are clearly the stand out signings from the last 2 years though, 2 who have the potential to be among the best in the world in their positions over the next 10 years, recovery permitting.
Some good news!

Unread 01-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
We were hardly flowing with him in the team.

1-0 against Spurs, own goal
1-0 against Villa, deflected shot
0-0 against Newcastle
1-2 against Swansea
3-1 against Liverpool, 3 shots on target

Scored freely against Brugge but when playing competent teams we have struggled badly to create. Only in the last few weeks that we struggled defensively as well.

I don't think the scores do him justice. We definitely had a better shape and balance about us. He is probably the best in the squad at that quick press when the opposition get the ball too. That, his pace and willingness to overlap (disappointing final ball. Needs improving) is something we haven't really replaced as well. He was complimented on the other side by a much more solid Darmian.

It is alarming that a slump could occur merely due to a left back being injured and it doesn't excuse or explain 4 wins from 17 matches, but that balance is an important aspect and it can be disrupted by any vital cog being removed.

I just hope he comes back good as new.

Unread 01-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Who would have thought it after 90 percent hated him and wrote him off last season how I laughed
I voted for you, no 2 i think. First impressions eh. Since the moment i pressed send you have annoyed the shit out of me. Every post seems to be some snide childish points scoring exercise, about what a great sage you are and what an utter @#%&! everybody else is. Talk about hero to zero you get right under my skin. If 9 out of 10 people on here 'hated' shaw id eat my own shit and yours tbf

Unread 01-01-2016, 02:43 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by switching off
all fredsters were fans. Soz.
go to luke shaw threads then coemback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizlack
i voted for you, no 2 i think. First impressions eh. Since the moment i pressed send you have annoyed the shit out of me. Every post seems to be some snide childish points scoring exercise, about what a great sage you are and what an utter c*** everybody else is. Talk about hero to zero you get right under my skin. If 9 out of 10 people on here 'hated' shaw id eat my own shit and yours tbf
all true pal go back read the threads he was hammered for a few dodgy games dont need to make shit up

Unread 01-01-2016, 03:19 PM
ashtonred

Thing I really like about Luke he has that Robbo/Kean desire about him. "That's my ball you got there mate and I want it back." Shaw is fearless and gets stuck in. I don't see one other player in our current squad with the same commitment and drive.
2 positons well covered when Luke returns - 'keeper and left back. The rest? Take 'em or leave 'em as far as I'm concerned.

Unread 01-01-2016, 03:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Lot of talk, rightly, of him kicking on this year but he was outstanding at Stamford Bridge last spring. He's a huge loss, but the full-back area has been decimated again with first and second choices on both sides out in recent weeks.

Rojo isn't a great left-back but was doing well before his injury too, Watford error aside. Not got the talent of Shaw but was fantastic in the Derby and gives intensity in terms of defending and pressing from that area.

Across the last 18 months full-back has been a huge area of weakness.

Unread 01-01-2016, 03:26 PM
andyroo

Good cross from CBJ late on on Monday though

Unread 01-01-2016, 03:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Lot of talk, rightly, of him kicking on this year but he was outstanding at Stamford Bridge last spring. He's a huge loss, but the full-back area has been decimated again with first and second choices on both sides out in recent weeks.

Rojo isn't a great left-back but was doing well before his injury too, Watford error aside. Not got the talent of Shaw but was fantastic in the Derby and gives intensity in terms of defending and pressing from that area.

Across the last 18 months full-back has been a huge area of weakness.
We desperately need a couple of full backs for now, but do you want to bring in a LB of sufficient quality with Shaw to come back? I'd like us to go for Rodriguez at Wolfsburg, doubt he and Shaw would want to share the role next year though. I honestly struggle to think of a top attacking RB.

Unread 01-01-2016, 03:45 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We desperately need a couple of full backs for now, but do you want to bring in a LB of sufficient quality with Shaw to come back? I'd like us to go for Rodriguez at Wolfsburg, doubt he and Shaw would want to share the role next year though. I honestly struggle to think of a top attacking RB.
Both fullbacks at Leeds are so like Luke Shaw Charlie Roberts is excellent well worth a gamble imho

Unread 01-01-2016, 04:26 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We only recently bought Darmian so why would we need another right back?

Unread 01-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
Thing I really like about Luke he has that Robbo/Kean desire about him. "That's my ball you got there mate and I want it back." Shaw is fearless and gets stuck in. I don't see one other player in our current squad with the same commitment and drive.
2 positons well covered when Luke returns - 'keeper and left back. The rest? Take 'em or leave 'em as far as I'm concerned.
I hope he will have the same fearlessness when he returns

Unread 01-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
We only recently bought Darmian so why would we need another right back?
He does not provide the attacking impetus needed from that position. Strangely he seems to be more assertive when playing LB, might have to do with having a more natural wide partner than Mata. His delivery is terrible but much more aggressive in his running when playing that side.

Unread 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Buck

Seen Darmian play as a wing back for the national side and he's a lot more useful as an attacking outlet for them so I do think he's capable of more than he's shown at United

Unread 01-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up Luke Shaw?

Ha! We sulk
Closed Thread