United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-02-2011, 11:49 PM
The Watcher

Football Ryan Giggs: My 20 years with Manchester United's first team

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...rview-guardian

Quote:
Giggs, lest it be forgotten, already has two Champions League winner's medals. He was rummaging through his drawers the other week and found them under some clothes, along with his OBE and a couple of league winner's medals. "Oh, here they are," he thought. Most of his collection has been donated to the club museum, though he does treasure some possessions. "The night of the European Cup final in Moscow, Bobby presented me with a watch . . ." His eyes sparkle.
"The boy's a genius"

Unread 28-02-2011, 11:52 PM
naes_sean

Default Re: Ryan Giggs: My 20 years with Manchester United's first team

Quote:
One of his favourite stories remembers how, a few weeks after his debut, Steve Bruce and Robson told him that now he was established as a first-team player he should ask Ferguson if he qualified for a club car. An emboldened Giggs duly knocked on the manager's door. "He went absolutely nuts," he recalls. It was only later that the teenager realised he had been set up.

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:00 AM
naes_sean

Quote:
0 Red cards

1 Goal of the season, his matchwinner in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal in 1999

1 PFA Player of the year award, for the 2008-09 season

1 OBE for services to football, awarded in 2007

1 Honorary degree, a Master of Arts from Salford University for contributions to football and charity work in developing countries

2 Champions Leagues winner's medals, in 1999 and 2008

2 PFA young player of the year awards

3 BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards, including two from BBC Wales

4 FA Cups, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

4 League Cups, 1992, 2006, 2009, 2010

9 Times included in the PFA team of the year

11 English league titles, a record

11 The number of consecutive Champions League tournaments in which he has scored, a record

12 Goals for Wales

19 The only player to have scored in every Premier League campaign since its conception

22 The 22nd person to receive the Freedom of the City of Salford in January 2010

64 Caps for Wales

158 Manchester United goals

605 League appearances, one short of Bobby Charlton's record

862 Manchester United appearances, the most in the club's history

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Wez

Thumbs up Re: Ryan Giggs: My 20 years with Manchester United's first team

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
0 red cards

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Pop

What @#%&!s like Gerrard would do for a league winners medal. Giggs on the other hand gives his away

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Big Norm

And know its an oldie but:

2 premiership players had their houses burgled last night, Ryan Giggs lost 11 league winners medals, 4 fa cup winners medals, 4 league cup winners medals, 2 champions league winners medals and a player of the year award.

Robin van Persie lost a kettle and a toaster.

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:36 AM
borsuk

him and scholes, what an absolute privilege it has been watching them. we look back on the likes of charlton, best and law and wonder what it would have been like to watch them and here we are blessed with modern-day equivalents in every sense. an absolute privilege.

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
him and scholes, what an absolute privilege it has been watching them. we look back on the likes of charlton, best and law and wonder what it would have been like to watch them and here we are blessed with modern-day equivalents in every sense. an absolute privilege.

Unread 01-03-2011, 01:00 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
Beckham and Pip still playing, Nicky Butt playing in Hong Kong still, Gary's just retired. Wonderful players, all of whom obviously live the game. Great bunch and a credit to the Club.

Unread 01-03-2011, 01:26 AM
MJ Ramone

Love Giggsy

Unread 01-03-2011, 01:36 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Love Giggsy
don't think big Wazza will be too happy at that tbh elbow

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:20 AM
fix up look SHARPE

does anyone know what foreign press/players think of giggsy and how highly they rank him? like a list of quotes like that scholes thread?

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Harri Jaffa

What a top article and a top player

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:33 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
does anyone know what foreign press/players think of giggsy and how highly they rank him? like a list of quotes like that scholes thread?
here's a few
>Ryan makes you believe there is a football God - Ron Atkinson

>Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs - Johann Cruyff

>I was almost in tears watching him perform - Alan Smith,Greater Manchester Schools Manager

>Giggs is the detonator,the man who can make Manchester United explode - Jean Tigana

>I think Ryan Giggs must be the best player in England. He is outstanding. Any team in the world would love to have him - John Jensen

>Like Best*, there is a special fantasia about him - Fabio Capello * George Best

>His talent is God-given.He will have wonderful skill even when he's got his bus pass, because that sort of ability never deserts you - Brian Kidd

>He has achieved so much, but he is still years away from his prime, a frightening concept for defenders. - Tommy Docherty

>All of us at Juventus agreed Manchester United were the best side we met in the Champions League. They have so many talented young players and can only get better and better. Giggs is truly world class - Zinedine Zidane

>Beckham and Scholes have shown their talents as goalscorers for England, but Giggs is the best. He was brilliant against us and he will be even better next year - Alessandro Del Piero

>When he's at the top of his game, there's not a team in the world that can handle Giggs' speed and penetration. - Alex Ferguson

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:37 AM
thatsfuctit

Dunga said: "Any manager in the world would like a player like Giggs in their side, and I am no different."

"But frankly I wouldn't know where to play him, we have so many good players. If he was Brazilian, it would give me far too many problems."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zidane said:"Giggs is a great player.I still vividly remember the games I played against him.My shock after watching Giggs play for the first time was very similar to the shock after seeing Luiz Ronaldo."

"If he was French Pires or myself would of been on the bench.Man with the most trophies in Europe would of been him."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overmars said:"Ryan Giggs is fast, skillfull and sharp.With Luis Figo, he is the most fantastic winger I have ever seen in my life."

"If I was the Dutchman, the Flying Dutchman would of been Ryan Giggs, not me."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luis Figo said:"He has the most talent than any other football player.He is delicate and dynamic.He is the player chosen by god."

"If Ryan was with us, strongest in Europe would definitely not been France."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Del Piero said:"How could I possibly appraise him? Fantasy star? Yeah thats Ryan Giggs."

"This is embarrassing to say but I have cried twice in my life watching football player.The first one was Roberto and the second was Ryan Giggs."

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Denis£#%&!ingirwin

I think Ryan Giggs must be the best player in England. He is outstanding. Any team in the world would love to have him - John Jensen

Case closed

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:42 AM
borsuk

giggs' reputation is not as high with the average fan/journo because he played for wales, hardly the best platform for his talent, and was never seen in an international tournament. amongst coaches he's revered, of course.

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM
thatsfuctit

Unread 01-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
>He has achieved so much, but he is still years away from his prime, a frightening concept for defenders. - Tommy Docherty
Agreed, imagine what he'll be like aged 43

Unread 01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Pop

The only footballer I'd genuinely have sex with

Or at least offer it to the great man :mmmonkey:
Closed Thread