United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-10-2009, 08:03 AM
borsuk

Default Re: There's a distinct lack of doom on here !

liverpool have been beaten five times this season (?) and they've been beaten deservedly, by teams playing better than they are. it's not just bad form, it's because they are not actually a very good side.

their squad was always thin but it's a lot worse now. not just alonso, of course, but they've lost a lot of players who could come in without weakening their 11 too much. they used to have players like hyppia, riise, keane, crouch, pennant, hamann etc in their squad - proven internationals who could come in without any fuss. now their first reserves are players like ngog, voronin and spearing - players who would not get into united's reserves tbph, never mind the first team bench.

their midfield last season was possibly the most powerful in the league - chelsea's was the only one close - in alonso and mascherano with gerrard in front. united's was (far) more creative and better at using the ball but we couldn't match them in terms of power and athleticism. now they've got lucas in place of alonso and gerrard doesn't have the freedom to go forward. mascherano's limitations are clearer without alonso there and they're getting dominated in an area they were strongest in before and it affects the whole side. wide players (shit at the best of times) have to pull in narrower, full backs don't get the cover they need when they push up etc. add to that the waning powers of carragher and they really are ripe for the taking.

of course, it's a derby of sorts so anything can happen. but right now they'd take a point with both hands. they'll be going into that match dreading what might happen, more fragile than they have been for years. what a chance for us, i think we'll absolutely smash them.

Unread 24-10-2009, 08:52 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa

Unread 24-10-2009, 08:55 AM
MUFC One Love

I just can't see them losing 5 on the trot, I can see us drawing tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Rooney won't play. It's a myth that Fergie 'pretends' players are doubtful for the game, only to play them.
If Rooney's 'struggling' then he's very unlikely to play.
I disagree. Tbh there probably has been £#%&! all wrong with Rooney, wouldn't surprise me if he has been given a bit of time off to be with Coleen (has she had the baby yet? one of the papers claimed she has had it earlier this week) and he has probably been training.

Fergie has said players a doubts before and played them, he's said players are basically out then played them.

Unread 24-10-2009, 09:00 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Gerrard and Torres will both play, no question about that.
I don't care if they do tbh. They beat us without them last season. If they play they won't be 100% fit and it's highly likely Gerrard might have to come off again, he has got a groin injury hasn't he? Groins don't just repair that easily, he had to come off early against Lyon 'cos he obviously wasn't right. He could quite easily tear his groin if he plays against us and it isn't 100% right.

Unread 24-10-2009, 09:02 AM
borsuk

oh shit, i've just read david pleat's, um, analysis in the guardian. we're £#%&!ed.

look at that ffs! they're all over us

our players don't even have names

Unread 24-10-2009, 09:03 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
oh shit, i've just read david pleat's, um, analysis in the guardian. we're £#%&!ed.

Unread 24-10-2009, 09:11 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
funny thing is, pleat can't even count. unless they're playing three at the back or rush goalie

Unread 24-10-2009, 03:41 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:

It's Fergie the Tinkerman up to his old tricks again
Just when you think he's gonna pick our best side...go at them with 2 strikers & 2 wide men he goes & signs a bunch of players without names & throws them in at the deep end in the biggest game of the season.

Unread 24-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Coracao

Quote:

Mascherano is in the opposition half. Surely some mistake? The lad will have a nosebleed.

Unread 26-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Fountz

Quote:
bunch of old women you are. we'll piss it, no problem at all. they've got no confidence whatsoever and the crowd will get on their backs at the slightest sign of our getting on top. even if gerrard is fit he'll lack sharpness, same for torres.

our attack will rip them to pieces. we'll win by a couple of goals.
:shakehead:

Unread 26-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
it's £#%&!ing nailed on. Our recent performances against Bolton, Sunderland, Werder Bremen and CSKA have all smacked of complacency. Lazy, sloppy defending and not capitalising when we're overwhelmingly on top.

I shouldn't imagine for one second we'll finish the game with 11 men on Sunday and I can forsee at least one defensive howler which will cost us a goal.

Gerrard and Torres will both play, no question about that.

Unread 26-10-2009, 05:58 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
:shakehead:

Unread 26-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Fountz

Thumbs down Re: There's a distinct lack of doom on here !

Quote:
...WHAT THE !! ...don't you "" me.. it was your bloody fault to start off with..

Unread 19-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up Re: There's a distinct lack of doom on here !

So much of Citeh's 1st team played 90 minutes last night and are going to play a fresh and hopefully slightly more clinical Villa at the weekend.

Arsenal are going to Leeds tonight and while only playing Wigan on Saturday their trip tonight won't help.

Both will drop points

We've got Birmingham at home on Saturday and our game in hand against Blackpool on Tuesday. We will win both leaving us at least 5 points ahead and 2 games in hand come Wedneday morning

Unread 19-01-2011, 02:25 PM
red in cumbria

Arsenal would have a good chance of beating Wigan at home with their 2nd XI - I shall be gobsmacked if they don't get three points there. But yes, city dropping points would be nice

Unread 19-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Switching Off

We are missing Park. When he comes back we'll be fine. Ergo, no need to panic.

Unread 19-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Tumescent Throb

Must admit to a tinge of disappointment myself and even a mild sense of foreboding

We have the best squad in the league, and that's all very well

We are unbeaten in the league and top of it, which is great

But I was really hoping we'd be a bit higher in the table than that by this stage, especially with the other teams not being as good as us

Unread 19-01-2011, 05:29 PM
red in cumbria

We are only leading on goal difference.

And our nearest challengers are every bit as repellent as those of two seasons ago were, and their ultimate triumph just as horrendously unthinkable (if not more so)

OTOH, Number 19 is in our sights, which is excellent. But you can maybe forgive people being a bit twitchy

Unread 19-01-2011, 05:39 PM
The Return of JC

I'm pleased with how we're defending at the moment. It's giving us the platform to kick on. A tiny little 'click' up front and we'll be motoring.

This season has proved that nothing can be taken for granted and points are being dropped all over the place. Our position is somewhat false with the postponements and resulting games in hand. Once those are clear (I'm taking nothing for granted there, either.) and we're level on games, we'll have a clearer idea of where we stand. The main focus is getting everyone fit and sorting out our away performances, imo. I think we're lacking confidence up front in away games and the mere 2 wins away is affecting the players a bit. Sort that and the rest will take care of itself.

Unread 19-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

We have the best defence possibly in Europe. A great Goalkeeper, two potentially very good forwards and no midfield. For that reason we're out of Europe as soon as anyone who can move the ball around well with quality players comes up against us. We could win the league but we're due a dip soon. City could very well win it.
Closed Thread