United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Last eight of the Euroes: how excited are you?
I'm watching love Island 2 5.88%
1/5 9 26.47%
2/5 3 8.82%
Quaidy 8 23.53%
4/5 6 17.65%
Ohmygod it is ace i am melting! 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 30-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the snopakes ain't gonna like that.
Bring it on! I'm assembling my mouse army

Unread 30-06-2021, 09:43 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl

Since day 1

Your enthusiasm is infectious. So much so, I just painted my face*

*in tomato ketchup and tippex, as it was all I had
Yes! I painted mine with the blood of the Germans

To victory we march!!!

Unread 30-06-2021, 09:45 AM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Yes! I painted mine with the blood of the Germans

To victory we march!!!
That is very hard to wash off, pal, I salute your dedication

Unread 30-06-2021, 04:49 PM
beersexchipsgravy

Don't get why any normal English person would hate to see England win.

I proudly sang you can stick your £#%&!ing England up your arse after what they did to Becks but it was 23 years ago and things have moved on.

Would be the biggest and greatest party the country has ever seen. Some of you may even get to kiss a girl.

Unread 30-06-2021, 04:51 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersexchipsgravy

I proudly sang you can stick your £#%&!ing England up your arse after what they did to Becks but it was 23 years ago and things have moved on.

Would be the biggest and greatest party the country has ever seen. Some of you may even get to kiss a girl.
Quoted in case I don't

Unread 30-06-2021, 04:56 PM
jem

Quote:
any normal English person

Unread 30-06-2021, 05:04 PM
armchair

I hope Switzerland do Spain on Friday. And that's before the match of the day Belgium Italy.

Then Saturday we get England.

Italy are the best side imo but England haven't even conceded a goal.

Speaking of grammar, the above sentence should've apparently been:
Italy is the best side imo but England hasn't even conceded a goal.

I disagree.

Unread 30-06-2021, 05:07 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I hope Switzerland do Spain on Friday. And that's before the match of the day Belgium Italy.

I disagree.
How DARE youi

Unread 30-06-2021, 05:21 PM
jem

Quote:

I disagree.
don't sweat the grammar. I love grammar and I never hold it against anyone (unless they criticise my grammar, in which case... lay on, mcduff). england, the country and the team, is singular. so, your sentence was, technically, incorrect. but... if it feels right and you mean (in your head) the individuals, not the collective.... let it flow. £#%&! off, anyone who says otherwise. being understood is more important than being a pedant.

I also hope switzerland do spain. mrs jem has them* in the work sweepstakes and I told her there was no £#%&!ing way they were going anywhere. she was almost excited during the france game and was actually considering finding out who got france and gloating. it was only the fact that the unlucky loser was one of her favourites that stopped her. had it been one of the boys, she would have been in his face giving it the full zig and zag. I like it when mrs jem gets excited, so..... forza, switzerland!

I don't want to say: switzerland do spain, I do mrs jem. but I know that's what you are thinking.

Unread 30-06-2021, 05:28 PM
no fun

Quote:

I proudly sang you can stick your f***ing England up your arse after what they did to Becks but it was 23 years ago and things have moved on.

They sing gstq, can never support that

Don’t like the idea of little Englanders in Stoke, burnley and the Home Counties having any joy in their life

Don’t like Jordan henderson

That @#%&! Johnson would jump on the bandwagon

Oh, and I’ve not forgotten or forgiven the FA or engurland fans for their treatment of united players

As for kissing girls....always thought it was a sign of weakness if you had to engage in basic foreplay

Unread 30-06-2021, 05:28 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
don't sweat the grammar. I love grammar and I never hold it against anyone (unless they criticise my grammar, in which case... lay on, mcduff). england, the country and the team, is singular. so, your sentence was, technically, incorrect. but... if it feels right and you mean (in your head) the individuals, not the collective.... let it flow. £#%&! off, anyone who says otherwise. being understood is more important than being a pedant.

I also hope switzerland do spain. mrs jem has them* in the work sweepstakes and I told her there was no £#%&!ing way they were going anywhere. she was almost excited during the france game and was actually considering finding out who got france and gloating. it was only the fact that the unlucky loser was one of her favourites that stopped her. had it been one of the boys, she would have been in his face giving it the full zig and zag. I like it when mrs jem gets excited, so..... forza, switzerland!

I don't want to say: switzerland do spain, I do mrs jem. but I know that's what you are thinking.
The swiss have a lot of things going against them, but their flag is a big plus

plus: would

Unread 30-06-2021, 05:32 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I think it is more natural. I'm questioning the very foundations of grammar.

Unread 30-06-2021, 06:33 PM
jem

Quote:
I think it is more natural. I'm questioning the very foundations of grammar.
well... ok, then.

if it is more natural, then just do it and to hell with the rules.

however, if you feel you need to question the very foundations of grammar, then.... your usage is technically incorrect. not grammar. you. soz.

option (a) will be easier on you. and me. and everyone else.

to be honest, it's not really an egregious breach. no one cares. not even I.

Unread 30-06-2021, 07:43 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I’ll level with you....

I’m really scared
Meh, even if the "worst" happens there is an argument that 55 years is long enough. Fairly chilled at the prospect now.

(and as said elsewhere, this England team upsets at least some of the ghastliest people - and that is a definite bonus)

Unread 30-06-2021, 07:47 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
well... ok, then.

if it is more natural, then just do it and to hell with the rules.

however, if you feel you need to question the very foundations of grammar, then.... your usage is technically incorrect. not grammar. you. soz.

option (a) will be easier on you. and me. and everyone else.

to be honest, it's not really an egregious breach. no one cares. not even I.

Which sounds better?

"And England have done it!"

or

"And England has done it."

I think the former is far more prevalent a usage. Languages evolve.

Unread 30-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I’ll level with you....

I’m really scared
The gid factor is thru the roof now. Imagine the SEETHE if they get turned over by the Ukrainians or Czechs/Danes?
I mean, England only have to turn up & they'll march thru to the next round, won't they?

Unread 30-06-2021, 07:48 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Which sounds better?

"And England have done it!"

or

"And England has done it."

I think the former is far more prevalent a usage. Languages evolve.
I would use the former almost automatically, in both speech and writing.

Unread 30-06-2021, 09:05 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
this is not relevant to the thread, but.....

no. I don't use capitals, but "i" looks silly. plus, I deserve a capital. I won't change, so maybe work on your anger instead, eh? ;0)

I guess I started doing it to differentiate between work and play. but also because, when I type on a phone, I turn off all of the predictive/auto correct shit (because I know better, obvs, and don't need help from a stupid programme) and I'm too lazy to click two huttons instead of one. that said, not sure we had smart phones when I started doing it. I guess it's just an ee cummings-esque affectation.

sometimes, I can't be bothered with grammar either.

it's not really worthy of comment. I mean... I try to compensate by using italics and bold occassionally.

maybe I'm just quietly spoken.
On purpose I hope....

But back on topic, I should be all nofers about it for all of his reasons, but I'm getting quite into the whole tournament.

Still think we'll £#%&! it up though....

Unread 30-06-2021, 09:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I would use the former almost automatically, in both speech and writing.
as would I.

it is, however, grammatically incorrect.

I wouldn't try to change grammar. I would just say what I wanted to say. rules are made to broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
On purpose I hope....
nope. typo. sorry to disappoint you. again.

Unread 30-06-2021, 09:54 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
as would I.

it is, however, grammatically incorrect.

I wouldn't try to change grammar. I would just say what I wanted to say. rules are made to broken.

nope. typo. sorry to disappoint you. again.
You don't disappoint me.

Unlike Engerland who are likely to.

Anyway, just to keep us focussed on what it's all about.....

Heroes to a man/woman.
Closed Thread