Closed Thread

Unread 29-10-2009, 05:31 AM
borsuk

Thumbs up andy cole on danny welbeck

Quote:
The Andy Cole Column:
[SIZE="5"]World Cup is not beyond reach of Welbeck's talents
Thursday, 29 October 2009

Danny Welbeck impressed once more this week - the United striker is the pick of emerging young English talent

Danny Welbeck has got the ability to go all the way. His lively display and opening goal for Manchester United in their League Cup win at Barnsley on Tuesday was the latest impressive contribution in a fledgling career and I know Sir Alex Ferguson thinks he is good enough to have an outside chance of gate-crashing England's World Cup squad.

He is tall and quick with great movement and technique. But what sets him apart is his attitude. Too often these days, in football just as in society at large, young people have a small amount of success and think they have cracked it. They get #@&%!y and above themselves and it's a problem. But that is a million miles from what Danny, 18, is like. He is one of the most level headed kids I've known. He's very self-critical too, perhaps too much so. I still spend a fair amount of time around United and I know Danny gets very disappointed with himself when he feels he hasn't shone. I have said to him a number of times that he must not beat himself up, but he's a perfectionist.

When I was pretty much the same age that Danny is now, I was at Arsenal under George Graham, and very much on the fringe of a team where Alan Smith and Paul Merson were scoring the goals, and Perry Groves was among the other strikers. I felt I was good enough to be playing, but wasn't getting the break. I wasn't the player for George, who was not really my cup of tea either, so I went out on loan, then moved on. I can't say things worked out too badly.

All I can say to Danny is the most obvious sign that he is on the right track is that he is getting picked to play in United's first team, and they are hardly struggling for world-class players! He is getting his chance and he will take it, of that I'm sure.

Danny is one among a growing group of fantastic young English players coming up. Jack Wilshere at Arsenal, 17, is another. I have watched him play a few times and his balance is frightening. I saw him in last year's FA Youth Cup against Liverpool and he was unplayable; his awareness of space, and what he can do with the ball. Also at Arsenal there is Theo Walcott who shows all the signs of being up there, when he finds the best position.

It has often been said that an influx of foreign players is damaging English talent and that is too huge a debate to have here. But what seems obvious to me is that the best will find a way, and that those English players who do make it into Premier League teams are having to be really special to do so, which is no bad thing.

Unread 29-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Smurf

Outstanding Andrew

Unread 29-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Albert Tatlock

Is he at Uinited in some capacity ?

didnt I read somewhere that he coaches ?

Unread 29-10-2009, 07:53 AM
mark o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Is he at Uinited in some capacity ?

didnt I read somewhere that he coaches ?
According to Wikipedia

Quote:
In August 2009, Cole was hired by his former Manchester United and England team-mate, Milton Keynes Dons manager Paul Ince, to coach the club's forwards on an initially temporary basis. However, a week later, Cole agreed to spend at least two days a week working on finishing with the forwards at Huddersfield Town, under his former Newcastle United and Fulham team-mate Lee Clark.

Unread 29-10-2009, 08:24 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

As nice as this all is have we all forgotten that Welbeck has looked out of his depth in every appearence this season? I'm not doubting his potential but world cup?

Unread 29-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Stubbsy

Andy Cole is now on drugs

Unread 29-10-2009, 09:45 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
As nice as this all is have we all forgotten that Welbeck has looked out of his depth in every appearence this season? I'm not doubting his potential but world cup?
I think he struggles out wide, but centrally he looks very good.

Unread 29-10-2009, 09:47 AM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
centrally he looks very good.
Should just play him against Birmingham and Villa.

Unread 29-10-2009, 09:50 AM
antonin jablonsky

Fergie has said the same about Welbeck going to the WC.

Unread 29-10-2009, 09:52 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Maybe Andy Cole sorted the gaffer out with a bag of what he is on?

Unread 29-10-2009, 09:52 AM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Did Wellbeck drive down the hard shoulder to get to one as well?

Unread 29-10-2009, 09:53 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Maybe Andy Cole sorted the gaffer out with a bag of what he is on?
Or the otherway round.

Unread 29-10-2009, 10:32 AM
borsuk

welbeck was our best player in the carling cup semi and final last year, playing out wide iirc. he was excellent last night playing centrally.

the lad has bags of potential. of course he's going to be inconsistent and the world cup might be a year too soon for him but he's a fantastic talent imo. good to hear he's got a good head on his shoulders as well.

Unread 29-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Baron

He holds onto the ball too long at the moment so someone is going to have to do some coaching... if we take a look at another talented youngster in the side that has the same issue - Nani - and see how he's had this coached out....

Oh.

I hope Welbeck has something more substantial between the ears or he'll be a frustrating pain in the arse.

The best I saw him play was that Derby game, he scored a cracker opening his body & clipping it in, was Henry-esque tbf & if there's any footballer he could choose to emulate with his languid style you wouldn't complain if it was him.

Unread 29-10-2009, 11:01 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
welbeck was our best player in the carling cup semi and final last year, playing out wide iirc. he was excellent last night playing centrally.

the lad has bags of potential. of course he's going to be inconsistent and the world cup might be a year too soon for him but he's a fantastic talent imo. good to hear he's got a good head on his shoulders as well.
He didn't play centrally He played out left. He did drift a bit though.

Quote:
The best I saw him play was that Derby game, he scored a cracker opening his body & clipping it in, was Henry-esque tbf & if there's any footballer he could choose to emulate with his languid style you wouldn't complain if it was him.
I thought his best game was at home to Spurs in the cup, he started wide right and gave Spurs a torrid time.

Unread 29-10-2009, 11:07 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He didn't play centrally He played out left. He did drift a bit though.
yeah, you're right. he and macheda switched a lot, though.

Quote:
I thought his best game was at home to Spurs in the cup, he started wide right and gave Spurs a torrid time.
that's the one i was thinking of. carling, wasn't it? or is the sclerosis kicking in again?

he was excellent against both spurs and everton in the cc last year. personally, i think he's got a lot more than macheda as a player atm (not slagging off kiki, obviously, who's a great prospect himself). just hope the fans show patience with them both.

Unread 29-10-2009, 11:14 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Should just play him against Birmingham and Villa.
I like the range of goals he scores.

It would be better to see these kids playing in ones and twos with the first XI rather than all together in the League Cup. They'd benefit more from the experience.

Ferguson looks confident about throwing the twins into the mix, perhaps out of fear that he'll alienate some of his senior forwards (and midfielders), he doesn't seem so quick to let youth have its head further up the park.

It's unfortunate. Welbeck could be contributing in the PL right now, I feel.

Unread 29-10-2009, 11:24 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
I like the range of goals he scores.

It would be better to see these kids playing in ones and twos with the first XI rather than all together in the League Cup. They'd benefit more from the experience.

Ferguson looks confident about throwing the twins into the mix, perhaps out of fear that he'll alienate some of his senior forwards (and midfielders), he doesn't seem so quick to let youth have its head further up the park.

It's unfortunate. Welbeck could be contributing in the PL right now, I feel.
the twins (one twin, tbh) have got games because injuries opened the door. now that the crisis has passed rafael isn't getting so many chances. shame, imo, but i don't think fergie has been inconsistent here. macheda got chances last season when we had injuries up front, for example.

Unread 29-10-2009, 11:33 AM
CockOfTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
He holds onto the ball too long at the moment so someone is going to have to do some coaching... if we take a look at another talented youngster in the side that has the same issue - Nani - and see how he's had this coached out....

Oh.

I hope Welbeck has something more substantial between the ears or he'll be a frustrating pain in the arse.

He's not been like that in the reserves, his link up play is great in the final third. I think it might just be down to nerves that he tends to hold on to it a bit long, he's still only 18. He's a down to earth lad too, always comes across well in his interviews and loves the club.

I think he's a great talent, along with the twins, Evans, James, Petrucci, Eikrem, Cleverly, Morrison, Obertan, Kiko & King

Unread 29-10-2009, 12:14 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the twins (one twin, tbh) have got games because injuries opened the door. now that the crisis has passed rafael isn't getting so many chances. shame, imo, but i don't think fergie has been inconsistent here. macheda got chances last season when we had injuries up front, for example.
He's been out with a dislocated shoulder since July/August and has played 2 reserve games and 1 1st team game (or thereabouts) since his return.

Hardly 'not getting the chances'.
Closed Thread