United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Grimson

Default Re: which bits of football commentary

Nobody I've ever spoken to remembers this, but in the late 80s, John Motson was doing some nondescript league game, Everton v Palace or something. One of the players was booked, and Motson had an absolute 'mare trying to say so. Something like...

"Oh and the referee...yes....well he's been given....shown....he's been given, shown, a....yes, now the referee has warned him, he's gone in hard....been given....given....."

Eventually he gave up and as play had long since restarted, went back to describing play.

Unread 04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
can't remember the words but it was a united goal from the 70's i think

"good enough to win the boat race, the grand national and the fa cup"
or something like that
can someone please enlighten me
think it was Bobby Charlton, 1967 Charity Shield

Unread 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Nobody I've ever spoken to remembers this, but in the late 80s, John Motson was doing some nondescript league game, Everton v Palace or something. One of the players was booked, and Motson had an absolute 'mare trying to say so. Something like...

"Oh and the referee...yes....well he's been given....shown....he's been given, shown, a....yes, now the referee has warned him, he's gone in hard....been given....given....."

Eventually he gave up and as play had long since restarted, went back to describing play.

£#%&!ing useless @#%&! that moron motson. Could never understand why he was held in such high regard. He was a blithering idiot who used to talk a lot of shite.

Unread 04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Red Tatton

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
can't remember the words but it was a united goal from the 70's i think

"good enough to win the boat race, the grand national and the fa cup"
or something like that
can someone please enlighten me

From about 2.30 in, it's also the goal that he was on about in the recent BBC doc.

Unread 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM
MJ Ramone

"And Manchester United who had a seemingly untouchable lead are really being made to pay for fielding a weakened team tonight. The gamble has backfired"

Unread 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
"And Manchester United who had a seemingly untouchable lead are really being made to pay for fielding a weakened team tonight. The gamble has backfired"

Unread 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
£#%&!ing useless @#%&! that moron motson. Could never understand why he was held in such high regard. He was a blithering idiot who used to talk a lot of shite.
before he went senile (going back a bit now) he was actually alright. was always a bit £#%&!ing slow on the uptake though.
Closed Thread