United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Tumescent Throb

Question "Best League in the world" - Coppell

Calling for quotas of English players. Interesting to see how this is reported tomorrow compared to when Ferguson said the same thing the other day.

Then again, how can we have the best league in the world when we have teams who play like Coppell's Reading often do, namely negative and/or cynical dross?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7093565.stm

Unread 14-11-2007, 12:36 AM
The Watcher

That's a load of %@#$&!s. The national side were shit in the 80's, not many foreigners around then? Failed to qualify for two world cups in the 70s. In fact, apart from 1966 and (arguably) 1990, England have been shit at International football, period. Got £#%&! all to do with the amount of players from abroad in the Premier League.

The national side would be a lot better if English players put in the graft their foreign counterparts do, instead of acting as if they've made it when they sign their first professional contract. Jenus, Dyer, Dunn, Bently, Richardson... the list is endless.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Tumescent Throb

Maybe so, but there are still a hell of a lot of average foreign players taking up a lot of places that would otherwise be giving English players of similar standard regular football in this "best league in the world" aren't there?

The quota system would also encourage more focus on improving the standards of young English players coming through. After all, they would need to be good enough to keep the current English football gravy train in full flow.

Personally I think there should be quotas of some sort, say at least 6 English players in every Premiership match-day 16. There could also be a wage cap, or at least some sort of proper recognised graded structure of incremental pay rises for loyalty and achievement. that would obviously be a far more controversial control though.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:05 AM
toseeunited

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
That's a load of %@#$&!s. The national side were shit in the 80's, not many foreigners around then? Failed to qualify for two world cups in the 70s. In fact, apart from 1966 and (arguably) 1990, England have been shit at International football, period. Got £#%&! all to do with the amount of players from abroad in the Premier League.

The national side would be a lot better if English players put in the graft their foreign counterparts do, instead of acting as if they've made it when they sign their first professional contract. Jenus, Dyer, Dunn, Bently, Richardson... the list is endless.
hear £#%&!ing hear!

however... i do think that the likes of arsenal having virtually £#%&! all english players in their SQUAD is not on..n

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:07 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Maybe so, but there are still a hell of a lot of average foreign players taking up a lot of places that would otherwise be giving English players of similar standard regular football in this "best league in the world" aren't there?
I agree. But an average player is an average player - it makes very little difference to me where they come from.

I think there should be quotas that insure a certain number of players in a match day 16 should have come through the ranks. But I don't agree it should be done on the basis of nationality.

Beside, it's a fact that the quality of English Club football (in both technique and tactics) has greatly improved with the arrival of foreign players and coaches during the 90s.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:16 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppell
"Our domestic football now is the most entertaining in the world but our national team doesn't duplicate that.

"The only way we can do that is by having direction from the Premier League, it's the only organisation that can really push this through.

"We have the best league in the world, can we now use that to our advantage to produce the best national team in the world?"
I really don't see the link he's making here. The English national side is largely made up of players who play at the very top level, either for top domestic sides or in the Champions League. If anything, the introduction of high-quality foreigners over the last ten years has benefited the national team, as it has raised the standard of play in England and has lead to increased involvement in the Champions League of our best players. Fact is, when England played against Croatia and Russia, they had better players with better training facilities, more big match experience with a higher standard of domestic football. What more does he want?

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:24 AM
jem

Default coppell

putting england ahead of united.

remind me why he stopped playing again.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:29 AM
Tumescent Throb

True. But don't forget that English teams were banned from European competition for 5 whole seasons which put them on the back foot once they returned, albeit United won the ECWC.

Anyway, the point about the average players is that the international teams they come from are crying out for the experience playing abroad gives their players. But our average players are then denied that experience with their paths to the first team being restricted or blocked completely.

You have to admit that it is a sorry state of affairs when the England national team coach struggles to even name a squad of just 23 players who are up to the required standard. You can say that that's just because England don't have enough good players. Or you can say that the FA must try whatever it takes to make sure that England do have enough players.

Back in the day there were always big characters and terrific players available for England to pick from, and there is no reason these days, with all the incredibly talented foreign players who've passed through the Premiership in the past 15 years, that we shouldn't have at least as many still who are as good if not better than they were before Italia 90.

Put that another way, the league is better than it's ever been so we should have English players playing in it who are better than they've ever been. There are 60 odd million of us living here ffs!

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
putting england ahead of united.

remind me why he stopped playing again.
Very well put.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:31 AM
jem

Default you should compare

this argument to the one about having a quota of black players in the south african rugby team.

if engllsh players want to play for english clubs, they should train harder, get fitter, improve their technique and study the game. otherwise, they can £#%&! off.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:32 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
this argument to the one about having a quota of black players in the south african rugby team.

if engllsh players want to play for english clubs, they should train harder, get fitter, improve their technique and study the game. otherwise, they can £#%&! off.
to where?

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:34 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Agreed.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:35 AM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher

%@#$&!s. just because we didn't win anything it doesn't make us shit. Also even though we had outragious talent (namely through uniteds youth policy) we still couldn't win it. international football is hard, no matter who you are.

the foriegner policy does need looking at, it £#%&!ing stinks. you can get an average foreigner for half the price of a half decent english/british player. where's the future for our young talent? it's not about patriotism it's about our youth.

thde game needs looking at, without doubt.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:37 AM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

in 10000 years of reading your posts jem, that is the upper most #@&%!ed thing you've ever said. i'm aware that you're probably being sarcastic........

............you are, arn't you?

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:41 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
in 10000 years of reading your posts jem, that is the upper most #@&%!ed thing you've ever said. i'm aware that you're probably being sarcastic........

............you are, arn't you?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle2847763.ece

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:41 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
to where?
um... germany?

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Insanity
.... Far better than Cashley/Rio/Robinson etc..... Uneducated @#%&!s...........

England will never be a decent team until the @#%&!s are rooted out, and until they start earning a normal wage....
Agree with a lot of your rant, but Rio Ferdinand actually talks pretty well more often than not.

True, he tends to mix his metaphors and use sillyly big words. And his Portuguese is £#%&!.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:48 AM
wonky no

english players don't train hard enough??? you drugged up fool! foriegn flops compared to english flops at united* over the last.....ooooh, 5 years?

*indicative ofthe league, perhaps.

lets take an example.

veron and carrick.

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
english players don't train hard enough??? you drugged up fool! foriegn flops compared to english flops at united* over the last.....ooooh, 5 years?

lets take an example.

veron and carrick.
ouch

Unread 14-11-2007, 01:58 AM
jem

Quote:

lets take an example.

veron and carrick.
that ouch was the sound of you bumping your own head, I'd imagine.

you are insane.
Closed Thread