United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-07-2021, 09:42 AM
BarryX

Default Penalty Shoot Outs: An alternative?

Never been a fan of them myself. Too much pot luck and can reward a weaker team for playing negatively and holding out for the draw and the hit and hope option of progressing in major tournaments.

Personally preferred golden goal, but obviously that didn't work for whatever reason, but last night I came up with an alternative (may have been touted elsewhere, before, I have no idea):

Why not use the VAR crew or someone on the touchlines (judge/s) to simply keep track of shots on target (e.g. 1 point for a shot outside the area, 2 for a shot inside the area and 3 for hitting crossbar/post from wherever). Take it to extra-time, sure, but that way the team who created the most chances throughout the game get rewarded and progress to the next stage.

Would surely make for far more entertaining viewing and would be a whole lot fairer?

Unread 07-07-2021, 09:47 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Never been a fan of them myself. Too much pot luck and can reward a weaker team for playing negatively and holding out for the draw and the hit and hope option of progressing in major tournaments.

Personally preferred golden goal, but obviously that didn't work for whatever reason, but last night I came up with an alternative (may have been touted elsewhere, before, I have no idea):

Why not use the VAR crew or someone on the touchlines (judge/s) to simply keep track of shots on target (e.g. 1 point for a shot outside the area, 2 for a shot inside the area and 3 for hitting crossbar/post from wherever). Take it to extra-time, sure, but that way the team who created the most chances throughout the game get rewarded and progress to the next stage.

Would surely make for far more entertaining viewing and would be a whole lot fairer?
Scrap pens & go with golden goal - but with a difference.
After 5 mins of ET, each team has to remove 1 player from the pitch. And the same every 5 mins. They can choose who, it’s entirely up to the manager. Guaranteed a goal then.

Unread 07-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

Always had a soft-spot for the MLS thing they tried out for a bit years ago. Player starts with the ball further up the pitch and had about a 5 second time limit to score past the keeper on a one-on-one with as many touches as they want.

Still not a perfect solution but more mental than penalties, and who wouldn't love to see De Gea try and cover 25 yards and slide one past another keeper in a 5 second time limit.

Edit:

Found a video. Looks £#%&!ing brilliant and shite at the same time. 2:40, a Penalty within a penalty shootout

Unread 07-07-2021, 09:58 AM
20LEgend1999

Just leave it as it is IMO. Or go back to tossing a coin.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:01 AM
otbarney

Hitting the woodwork isn't a shot on target.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:10 AM
Ethers

I like them, and have developed a brand new strategy to give one team a massive edge.

It’s simple - sensory deprivation. Think it’s generally agreed that the pressure gets to most penalty takers, particularly when they know the whole match hinges on this one penalty.

So keep them all in the centre circle blindfolded and with earphones in drowning out any noise. Frog March them to the spot and pull the blindfold off at the last minute, instructing them not to look at the scoreboard or the keepers hand signals.

They won’t have a clue how important their penalty actually is, and as a result they’ll convert far more. Simples.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:16 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Scrap pens & go with golden goal - but with a difference...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Always had a soft-spot for the MLS thing they tried out for a bit years ago.
Both example preferable to penalty's IMO, but still it's down to a bit of luck. Why not reward the team who play to win and entertain for the duration of the game?

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:18 AM
NedKelly

Should be another coin toss and whoever loses has De Gea in goal for the pens

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:23 AM
ryanMUFC

Managers to take the first pen on every shootout.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Pop

£#%&! that. I love them. They simply cannot be beaten for pure brutal tension.

Unless you know what happens

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:27 AM
Buck

Should be decided by crossbar challenge

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:34 AM
no fun

Captain of the respective female teams to decide it by mud wrestling

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:36 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Always had a soft-spot for the MLS thing they tried out for a bit years ago. Player starts with the ball further up the pitch and had about a 5 second time limit to score past the keeper on a one-on-one with as many touches as they want.

Still not a perfect solution but more mental than penalties, and who wouldn't love to see De Gea try and cover 25 yards and slide one past another keeper in a 5 second time limit.

Edit:

Found a video. Looks f***ing brilliant and shite at the same time. 2:40, a Penalty within a penalty shootout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRITqS6WEn0
£#%&! me. It's what they do in hockey. Awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
Hitting the woodwork isn't a shot on target.
Didn't know that until recently. Always amazed me. You can hit a 25 yard screamer which hits the bar which doesn't count as a shot on goal. I know the target is in between the goal but, even so, always amazes me.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:38 AM
Fat Al

Even better. A mini It’s A Knockout style game.
Keepers - who can do the most chin-ups on the crossbar.
Defenders - who can boot the ball the highest.
Midfielders - who can throw a corner flag the furthest, javelin style.
Forwards - diving competition.
Managers - bare knuckle fight in the centre circle with the players all stood round. Last man standing.

And instead of playing the Joker to get double points for that particular round, you could play the Fellaini, which would half your opponents points for that round.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:40 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Both example preferable to penalty's IMO, but still it's down to a bit of luck. Why not reward the team who play to win and entertain for the duration of the game?
In that case just award it to the team that spent the most time with possession in the opposition half. Would force teams to stop trying to defend their way to scab through on penalties, and force team to push up and play.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:45 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I like them, and have developed a brand new strategy to give one team a massive edge.

It’s simple - sensory deprivation. Think it’s generally agreed that the pressure gets to most penalty takers, particularly when they know the whole match hinges on this one penalty.

So keep them all in the centre circle blindfolded and with earphones in drowning out any noise. Frog March them to the spot and pull the blindfold off at the last minute, instructing them not to look at the scoreboard or the keepers hand signals.

They won’t have a clue how important their penalty actually is, and as a result they’ll convert far more. Simples.
Think you’re onto something here - think it could work better if you drugged the players - give them a sedative that renders minimal awareness whilst still allowing them to physically complete the kick. The ideal being the player wouldn’t know what he was doing or where he was but could still understand simple instructions. The amount of sedative each player would need could be simply worked out before hand using height, weight, age data and the whole thing could be administered by the 4th official with some additional simple training.

The other benefit would be making the celebrations of the winning team more muted and therefore more respectful.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Think you’re onto something here - think it could work better if you drugged the players - give them a sedative that renders minimal awareness whilst still allowing them to physically complete the kick. The ideal being the player wouldn’t know what he was doing or where he was but could still understand simple instructions. The amount of sedative each player would need could be simply worked out before hand using height, weight, age data and the whole thing could be administered by the 4th official with some additional simple training.

The other benefit would be making the celebrations of the winning team more muted and therefore more respectful.
Harry Kane would need some kind of stimulant.

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:50 AM
Sparky***

Put two David de Gea’s in goal for both teams. Obviously this will mean cloning him which is a entirely different issue which I can’t go into here.

Then see which one can dive out of the way of each penalty in the most creative, artistic way. Points to be award for:

Style
Panache
Gormless looking face
Pointing one way then diving the other
Landing
Use of space.

A panel of judges will sit pitchside with score cards. After the result the losing De Gea is euthanised before a new one is produced for the next fixture

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:52 AM
BarryX

And here I was thinking we'd all grown up all together, somewhat matured as a group and individually since the birth of Fred (what was it, 15 years ago or something?), and could discuss the matter with the seriousness it deserves. How to improve the sport in general and as a spectacle, etc

Sedatives and blindfolds and a javelin competition FFS

Unread 07-07-2021, 10:55 AM
beersexchipsgravy

Cross bar challenge imo
Closed Thread