United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
ScarFace

Default Re: Glazers turn down £1.5Bn bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloner
I hope you'll forgive my qualification here. J P Morgan feel the short-term prospects are poor, with resulting reduced revenue. Technological improvements may provide new opportunities but I still feel where the club/Glazers see new potential revenue, I see millions of people with little money who will change sports before they pay to watch football on a screen 3" x 2".

Do you remember the old idea of Pay-Per-View? Sky had a separate channel and you paid £45 for a season ticket to watch the PPV games? What happened to that? Genuine curiosity here. Has the idea of PPV in the domestic market been abandoned?
PPV was excellent, it was a hell of alot cheaper that setanta/espn

But the mongs that be said Sky had a monopoly and MADE the PL sell the rights to the 2nd set of games to another broadcaster saying it was better for us....WAS IT £#%&!

Unread 08-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Spiffy

Default Re: Glazers turn down £1.5Bn bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloner
I hope you'll forgive my qualification here. J P Morgan feel the short-term prospects are poor, with resulting reduced revenue. Technological improvements may provide new opportunities but I still feel where the club/Glazers see new potential revenue, I see millions of people with little money who will change sports before they pay to watch football on a screen 3" x 2".

Do you remember the old idea of Pay-Per-View? Sky had a separate channel and you paid £45 for a season ticket to watch the PPV games? What happened to that? Genuine curiosity here. Has the idea of PPV in the domestic market been abandoned?
Yep I wouldn't watch football on my mobile if it was free, I can't see anyone paying for it. They may sell some rights to Vodafone for them to include in the airtime package but I expect they'll be no more than a gimmick.

As China and India continues to grow, they will have more money to pay for things like Premiership football so I think for a while they might still see increases in how much they raise this way. Obviously this can't go on forever.
Closed Thread