United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Sandman

Default Ferguson: I'll build a new team again

Quote:
By David McDonnell

Sir Alex Ferguson has vowed to rebuild his Manchester United side over the summer - even if they snatch the title from Chelsea this season.

Fergie, who last night presented Wayne Rooney with the United Player of the Year award, warned that several of his squad will be on their way out of Old Trafford.

Dimitar Berbatov, Michael Carrick and Ben Foster are likely to be among the most high-profile casualties, as Fergie tries to rebuild his last great United side before retiring.

“What I have to make decisions on now is how we can improve the team,” said Fergie. “Are we ready to build a new team?

“Because when you challenge for four titles in a row, two European Cups, League Cup finals and FA Cup finals, there is a draining effect.

“You have to be aware of that and spot the moment when it’s time to freshen, time to change one or two players.

“It’s not a desire to do it, it’s a need to do it, simply because the demands and pressure on players over a long period can be demanding.

“People don’t recognise that we’ve signed three players for £20million already.

“Young Chris Smalling from Fulham has signed for us, Mame Diouf has done well, and Javier Hernandez from Mexico will join us after the World Cup.

“Those are three young players whose futures are guaranteed at this club.

“There are others who come into that bracket like Jonny Evans, Federico Macheda, Gabriel Obertan, Danny Welbeck and Darron Gibson.

“So we have a good nucleus and foundation of players who can carry the club for a long time.”
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle415459.html

Unread 05-05-2010, 06:12 AM
waynes ear's

Default Re: Ferguson: I'll build a new team again

dont we hear this every summer?

lazy journo @#%&!s. its still spring!!!

Unread 05-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
dont we hear this every summer?
In his defence, no.

Unread 05-05-2010, 07:21 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
In his defence, no.
oh yeah i forgot, we're skint

Unread 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Mr_Ed

He's got one year left hasn't he? I can't see him doing it again... Especially as I think I've got more money in my jeans than he will have to spend this summer.

Unread 05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Lok

I notice he's talking about building a new team around what we already have. By bigging up Macheda, Gibson & Evans I can't help but think that he's being forced to sell Berbatov, Carrick & Vidic.

Perhaps it's just me being negative.

Unread 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM
forzagarza

Shame. Saw the title and thought he was going to Portsmouth

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:42 AM
borsuk

like it, be good to see fergie get the pruning shears out again, there's five or six players we could do with moving on (foster, hargreaves, brown, carrick, berbatov off the top of my head).

btw, i love wes but his form has been seriously shit for the whole season and the injuries have take a toll imo. next season he'll already be fourth-choice cb (rio, vidic, evans) and might find himself behind smalling as well; neville, rafael and o'shea are all ahead of him at full back. he really needs to move on for his own sake - part-exchange for rodwell, please

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
like it, be good to see fergie get the pruning shears out again, there's five or six players we could do with moving on (foster, hargreaves, brown, carrick, berbatov off the top of my head).

btw, i love wes but his form has been seriously shit for the whole season and the injuries have take a toll imo. next season he'll already be fourth-choice cb (rio, vidic, evans) and might find himself behind smalling as well; neville, rafael and o'shea are all ahead of him at full back. he really needs to move on for his own sake - part-exchange for rodwell, please
Said last night wants to play for another 6/8 years!

Just one year would be nice Owen

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
MUFC One Love

£#%&!ing hell, the man sounds desperate;

Quote:
“People don’t recognise that we’ve signed three players for £20million already.

“Young Chris Smalling from Fulham has signed for us, Mame Diouf has done well, and Javier Hernandez from Mexico will join us after the World Cup.

“Those are three young players whose futures are guaranteed at this club.
He keeps going on about how we've spent £20m on 3 young players, as if he's trying to prove we have money. Firstly, have we £#%&! spent £20m on them, maybe it about 5 years we will have if they're still here, and secondly to say their futures are 'guaranteed at this club', wtf?

Fergie is saying stuff he wouldn't under normal circumstances imo. No way would he go on about how we've spent £20m on 3 youngsters under normal circumstances. He'd wanna take the pressure of them and would barely mention their price tags.

'People don’t recognise that we’ve signed three players for £20million already.' - Oh look everyone we have loads of money!!

Looks obvious Carrick will be sold this summer, he falls into the category Fergie was talking about tbh.

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
dunk

I love Wes, but I probably agree it is time for one of him or O'Shea to go, and he would have to be favourite.

I'd like to see a freshening of the squad, inject a bit of hunger by moving a few of the senior players on and allowing the youthful enthusiasm to shine through.

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
borsuk

sounds pretty much par for the course from fergie tbh

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I love Wes, but I probably agree it is time for one of him or O'Shea to go, and he would have to be favourite.

I'd like to see a freshening of the squad, inject a bit of hunger by moving a few of the senior players on and allowing the youthful enthusiasm to shine through.
Why? Both are very happy at being squad players, you hear no complaints over lack of first team football and when called upon they do a fantastic job.

Those are the type of players that get you into the latter stages of europe/league, simply because they allow others to have a rest and continue the high standards the club has set.

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Stickman

Wes wont be sold, and neither he should. Hes a far superior player to Oshea.

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Why? Both are very happy at being squad players, you hear no complaints over lack of first team football and when called upon they do a fantastic job.

Those are the type of players that get you into the latter stages of europe/league, simply because they allow others to have a rest and continue the high standards the club has set.
Whilst that's true, both are on about £50k a week. Are the club really going to want to keep Wes for another 2 years when we really don't need him? It'd cost us £5m in wages to do so and he'd be worth around the same again in a transfer fee. Maybe in the past we'd have kept him on but not now.

I fully expect him and Carrick to go this summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see Berbatov and Vidic go as well.

Unread 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!

Simply because he won't really get games and the games he does get will be at the expensive of one of the younger players.

That and it will get a big(ish) earner off the wage bill and bring in a fair transfer fee.

O'Shea will get the nod to stay due to his ability to play practically anywhere.

Unread 05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Simply because he won't really get games and the games he does get will be at the expensive of one of the younger players.

That and it will get a big(ish) earner off the wage bill and bring in a fair transfer fee.

O'Shea will get the nod to stay due to his ability to play practically anywhere.
that's it. o'shea (who gets a lot of unfair criticism imo and is a very good squad player and especially good once he gets into a settled side) can play anywhere across the back and in midfield. wes can play right back or centre half and - tin hat at the ready - doesn't look the player he was. at this stage in their careers i think o'shea is the better of the two, certainly the one i'd prefer to count on if we had a defensive crisis.

Unread 05-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
£#%&!ing hell, the man sounds desperate;

He keeps going on about how we've spent £20m on 3 young players, as if he's trying to prove we have money. Firstly, have we £#%&! spent £20m on them, maybe it about 5 years we will have if they're still here, and secondly to say their futures are 'guaranteed at this club', wtf?

Fergie is saying stuff he wouldn't under normal circumstances imo. No way would he go on about how we've spent £20m on 3 youngsters under normal circumstances. He'd wanna take the pressure of them and would barely mention their price tags.

'People don’t recognise that we’ve signed three players for £20million already.' - Oh look everyone we have loads of money!!

Looks obvious Carrick will be sold this summer, he falls into the category Fergie was talking about tbh.
Totally true.

There will be be more signing and Fergie that everyone else was being priced at £40m and wanted £120k a week.

Carrick can piss off - he's not that good anymore anyway and doesn't have enough heart.

Unread 05-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Sparky***

I honestly don't think that smalling, diouf (lol) and chickentikka will be the end of the spending.

The season ticket price freezes indicate to me that the owners are trying to placate the fans somewhat. I expect a fair bit of money to be spent this summer.

Obviously, players will be sold to balance the books a bit. I fancy one big name will leave along with the likes of carrick and maybe someone like de laet.

Unread 05-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Sloane

we can only register 25 players over 21. and if we count hernandez in there we now have 25 so we will have to sell if we want to bring anybody else in
Closed Thread