United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I agree with your last statement 100%, but it is worth bearing in mind that their recent success has come directly from one guy with a bagful of cash. No other club at our level can afford £3k signing on fees, and our best player going there for double his money is a clear illustration of how BPA are operating. So I myself wouldn't call it encouraging.
Yep £5000 and £350 a week seems a biggie for that level, so I take your point.

I meant more from the historical pov really - be nice to get their story out there. Maybe just old fashioned sentimentality on my part more than anything.

How come FC are struggling to pay the going rate (whatever that is?) on wages? Is it the ground renting?

Unread 11-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Yep £5000 and £350 a week seems a biggie for that level, so I take your point.

I meant more from the historical pov really - be nice to get their story out there. Maybe just old fashioned sentimentality on my part more than anything.

How come FC are struggling to pay the going rate (whatever that is?) on wages? Is it the ground renting?
I do see what you mean, in fact I'd rather BPA than some of the £#%&!ing monstrosities that populate the lower divisions like MK Dons. As you say, at least they have a history.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of FC's finances but the ground rent is exactly where most of the money goes. It's something like £5k a match I believe.

Unread 11-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I do see what you mean, in fact I'd rather BPA than some of the £#%&!ing monstrosities that populate the lower divisions like MK Dons. As you say, at least they have a history.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of FC's finances but the ground rent is exactly where most of the money goes. It's something like £5k a match I believe.
take heart from last season anyway; getting up was an incredible effort

Unread 12-08-2008, 01:32 AM
voxra

BPA (or "Atlético Club Quiebra Parque Avenida(1988) Ltd" - as the Boston United fanzine place have named them) are already the comedy club of the league - making up tours/scorers and falling out, in dramatic fashion, with their local paper over posting lies on the official site. It's going to be brilliant!

And then you have the full timers (as in professional footballers from this season) at Leigh/Horwich/RMI/Genesis - who averaged 202 paying souls in Conference North last season. The new ground is delayed, and there won't be a ball kicked (or thrown) at their new place until November at the earliest.

Bring it on !

BTW, Boston United's fanzine's Rough Guide to the NPL is quite brilliant, and I'm not just talking about their "Atlético Club Quiebra Parque Avenida(1988) Ltd" and "Leigh/Horwich/RMI/Genesis" entries.

http://www.impstalk.co.uk/guides/200...uide/index.htm

Unread 12-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Viva FC United!

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:00 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
the fletcher remark was aimed specifically at beders who is a known anti fletcherite .

nowt more

I actually think hes good

then again I've been watching none league football for 3 years
i think he's a decent enough player these days.

Is the Swan and Cemetry good pre-match, i like that pub, Warsteiner and Lamb chops,mmmmmm.

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:06 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky

Is the Swan and Cemetry good pre-match, i like that pub, Warsteiner and Lamb chops,mmmmmm.
it used to be good about 3 years ago but the land lady has a right 'tude. Last I saw hardly any £#%&!er goes in there anymore (which isn't a bad thing actually considering how rammed it used to be inside-this is not beer garden weather)

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:10 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
it used to be good about 3 years ago but the land lady has a right 'tude. Last I saw hardly any £#%&!er goes in there anymore (which isn't a bad thing actually considering how rammed it used to be inside-this is not beer garden weather)
Bad news, very bad news.

So where is good pre-match?

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:10 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:

I used to go there but now I go to a boozer a bit further down the road called the waterloo.

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:12 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
I used to go there but now I go to a boozer a bit further down the road called the waterloo.
Does it have warsteiner and nice lamb chops?

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:17 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Bad news, very bad news.

So where is good pre-match?
I reckon the Pack Horse would be your best bet, new landlady has taken over there apparently and she's FC friendly. Don't think you're gonna get the Warsteiner in there but I think theres a couple of cheap drink* deals in there. Should be alright post match too, theres a chap doing an acoustic set who is rather good

* so i've heard on that anyway, last time I went in it weren't cheap but that was under the old regime!

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:22 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Does it have warsteiner and nice lamb chops?
It does have some extravagent german brau of some description. No lamb chops but there are sweaty sarnies on french stick wrapped in cling film on the bar you can buy.

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
It does have some extravagent german brau of some description. No lamb chops but there are sweaty sarnies on french stick wrapped in cling film on the bar you can buy.
intriguing stuff.

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
intriguing stuff.
They also have comedy blokes who shoult and your own once the barmans back is turned with your tenner in his hand.

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:35 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
They also have comedy blokes who shoult and your own once the barmans back is turned with your tenner in his hand.
Hmmmmm, not sure i like the sound of that.

Anyway, it aint really my choice, could still end up at Chester Zoo.

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:35 AM
turkred

The Swan is still decent, not as packed but a fair few in. It is another new landlord now who is OK

Unread 12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkred
The Swan is still decent, not as packed but a fair few in. It is another new landlord now who is OK

Shhhhh. It's easier to get served when its half empty.

Unread 12-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Withers

I don't think a man of your discerning taste would take to the Pack Horse Bedders.

Unread 12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Withered Hand
I don't think a man of your discerning taste would take to the Pack Horse Bedders.
discerning tastes? erm, why thankyou kind sir.

Unread 12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Withers

Quote:
discerning tastes? erm, why thankyou kind sir.
Edit- Ignore this I misread my own post.
Closed Thread