United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-06-2014, 07:56 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Go back to the height of the golden generation, when they had Terry, Cole, Ferdinand, Neville, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen and a young Rooney all at or around their peak. A lot of talent, no balance. The one midfielder they had who could control a game was pushed into a peripheral role to allow the likes of Beckham and Gerrard to constantly play self indulgent 60 yard passes.

A lot of star names, all used to being the key player, having their club teams set up to allow them to play a low percentage pass or a shot from 35 yards. When it came to reigning in that tendency and being part of a functioning team they just were not capable.

Hodgson started off trying to use players like Carrick and Cleverley in midfield, individuals used to playing a disciplined team role with very little selfishness in their play. Ended up allowing the public mood to pick his squad.
The best performance in Hodgson's reign so far was the win at Wembley against Brazil when England played a 433 formation with Gerrard in the holding role and Cleverley and Wilshere either side of him
That's the first time for a long time that I saw England side pass the ball really well against one of the top nations

That was a midfield with balance that was able to keep the ball but still provide good protection for the back four

Hodgson should have stuck with that formation but instead changed to a two man midfield to shoe horn both Sturridge and Rooney into the same side :shakehead:

Unread 20-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaAndCoke
Nail on the head. The London press demanding that Lampard & Gerrard had to play in midfield whilst the best English midfielder of his generation was £#%&!ed about to accomodate them.

Then the same clueless @#%&!s write articles saying England need to find a 'Pirlo'
I blame Beckham and the cult of personality that built up around him for a lot of the problems. Not really Beckham but the press again to be honest.

However if you look back to that 2-2 draw against Greece way back in 2001, Beckham had an awful game, completely ill disciplined, constantly being far too ambitious with his passing, abandoned his positional responsibilities causing all sorts of problems for the rest of the team. He ends up scoring the free kick after umpteen attempts, and it is turned into a Roy of the Rovers performance. That set the scene for the next few years, Beckham as captain, his influence on Lampard and Gerrard was to create this individualistic mentality and Scholes being wasted.

Also explains why Fergie was happy to let him go.

Unread 20-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I blame Beckham and the cult of personality that built up around him for a lot of the problems. Not really Beckham but the press again to be honest.

However if you look back to that 2-2 draw against Greece way back in 2001, Beckham had an awful game, completely ill disciplined, constantly being far too ambitious with his passing, abandoned his positional responsibilities causing all sorts of problems for the rest of the team. He ends up scoring the free kick after umpteen attempts, and it is turned into a Roy of the Rovers performance. That set the scene for the next few years, Beckham as captain, his influence on Lampard and Gerrard was to create this individualistic mentality and Scholes being wasted.

Also explains why Fergie was happy to let him go.
Going a bit far there I think

Unread 20-06-2014, 09:50 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Don't care, they're @#%&!s.
Is the correct answer

Unread 20-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Going a bit far there I think
......just a little bit

The game was on the other month tbh and becks had a great game that day...

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
......just a little bit

The game was on the other month tbh and becks had a great game that day...

Maybe, but I still think that the rise to celebrity of Beckham and the modern phenomena of style over substance can be linked to the struggles that England have in creating a cohesive team unit.

Too many ego's believing they are better and more important than they are.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:20 PM
moyescaust

Not a comment on beckham's performance but I'm sure I read that he ran 16 km in that Greece match.

Must be a record amount of distance covered in 90 minutes.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyescaust
Not a comment on beckham's performance but I'm sure I read that he ran 16 km in that Greece match.

Must be a record amount of distance covered in 90 minutes.
Santa Cruz ran 2,000 miles for City once in a pre-season friendly.

He came on as a 90th minute sub.

Unread 20-06-2014, 10:50 PM
andyroo

http://paranormal.about.com/od/ancie...Costa-Rica.htm

We saw these in all their glory today NQAT

Unread 20-06-2014, 11:37 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
http://paranormal.about.com/od/ancie...Costa-Rica.htm

We saw these in all their glory today NQAT
They have been a revelation, certainly